2013 NHL TV Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Sports Business Journal does some type of annual compilation by year and team/city for the major leagues. I don't recall if they included the national ratings.

They used to publish nearly complete NHL, NBA, & MLB local RSN ratings, but all I've seen the last several years are simple top-5/bottom-5 lists.

ebox99

May 8, 2009
Imagine if the Knicks weren't competition? Hmmmmm Pretty happy with the 1.4.....I'll say that's about 1.6million-1.7million.

For 2 huge markets, 1.4 is kinda sad. You would think it break 2.

If you factor out Boston and NY, not too many people following series. If it goes 6 or 7 games then maybe ratings will go upwards.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore3m
Rangers-Bruins on NBCSN was the most-watched Conf. Semifinal Game 1 ever on the network.

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore3m
Game 1 of NYR/BOS drew a 13.1 in Boston, highest rating ever for a 2nd rd. game on NBCSN in the market.

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore1m
Game 2 of SJ/LA drew a 2.3 in Los Angeles, highest rating ever for a 2nd rd. game on NBCSN in LA. Up 43% from last year's avg. for LA/STL.

Game 1 of Rangers/Bruins peaked in OT with 2.3 million viewers.

Through three days, Conference Semifinals on NBCSN are up 51% through the same point last year (1.16 million vs. 769,000).

ebox99

May 8, 2009
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...our-pretty-face-is-going-to-hell-more/183102/

1.64 mill for Rangers/Bruins and 810k for Sharks/Kings. That went up 200 000 roughly. Some growth. I expect that kings/sharks series to go 6 games still. I'm sure those ratings will grow with G.S out now.

I am amazed at how few people watch the playoffs in the US and the players keep wanting huge salaries. In Canada, Toronto's game 7 got over 5 million viewers. That's equivalent of 50 million in the US.

Perhaps they need an outdoor game for the 1st round to get more attention. IE top seed in each conference get outdoor game as a reward for finishing first.

Also, it would be good if they can get a 2nd network to help spread the word of NHL playoffs. Fox Sport Network would be great cause they had their best ratings with FOX a long time ago. Then ESPN ruined it. Not sure why people keep wanting ESPN when they killed the momentum.

The Korean*

Regardless of the ratings NHL earns hella more money than other sports leagues in the world aside from MLB, NFL, NBA and the Premiere League.

ebox99

May 8, 2009
Regardless of the ratings NHL earns hella more money than other sports leagues in the world aside from MLB, NFL, NBA and the Premiere League.

True.

Funny thing is Olympic hockey gold medal outdrew Olympic basketball gold medal game in US. Not sure why NHL can't figure out how to get those fans.

Is there a chart of revenue for all the world sports league?

The Korean*

^Different events dude, summer and winter olympics, different years.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Impressive numbers for the Rangers-B's in Game 1.

I don't expect the Rangers to ever compete with the Knicks in New York, but New York is still a great hockey market.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
NHL has less than half of NBA ratings, yet are only 500 million apart in revenues. Despite a huge difference in national tv money. NHL is better locally than NBA. If people ever stop watching basketball on national tv channels, the NBA is screwed.

ebox99

May 8, 2009
NHL has less than half of NBA ratings, yet are only 500 million apart in revenues. Despite a huge difference in national tv money. NHL is better locally than NBA. If people ever stop watching basketball on national tv channels, the NBA is screwed.

It's almost 2 Billion -

Stern estimates NBA revenue up 20 percent to $5B

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/11/13/stern-nba-revenue.ap/index.html

The league's revenue estimate is for the year ending next Sept. 30. That puts the NBA third among the major North American leagues, trailing the NFL ($9 billion) and Major League Baseball ($7.5 billion), but ahead of the NHL ($3.3 billion).

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Impressive numbers for the Rangers-B's in Game 1.

I don't expect the Rangers to ever compete with the Knicks in New York, but New York is still a great hockey market.

Oh the Rangers definitely can compete with the Knicks. Part of the problem is Isles and Devils fans won't watch. The other part is, well the "demographic" makeup of the boroughs.

If you standardize white, suburban male for New York I bet it evens out with Boston.

No comment.

NBA has been better.

1.5-2 range for hockey, NBA has been about 3.5

If it was Flyers vs Sixers, it's another story for sure.

Thanks man. The 1.5 itself is not bad, but the NBA is killing it.
Just as I imagine, Philly = Flyerstown but Philly is more a basketball town than hockey town.

I'd be curious, last season, when the Bruins were eliminated how any random NBA playoff game did to any random NHL playoff game.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
I am amazed at how few people watch the playoffs in the US and the players keep wanting huge salaries. In Canada, Toronto's game 7 got over 5 million viewers. That's equivalent of 50 million in the US.

Perhaps they need an outdoor game for the 1st round to get more attention. IE top seed in each conference get outdoor game as a reward for finishing first.

Also, it would be good if they can get a 2nd network to help spread the word of NHL playoffs. Fox Sport Network would be great cause they had their best ratings with FOX a long time ago. Then ESPN ruined it. Not sure why people keep wanting ESPN when they killed the momentum.

A 1.4 is big time.

So far the Semi's in the early slot are rocking. The Kings and Sharks pulling over 800K is huge.

these ratings are worthy of a 200 million per year deal. On top of 600 million+ from local RSN's.

By 2020 RSN's will b paying the NHL double or triple today's numbers.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
damn glad to see these ratings, and without question it has a lot to do with the NBA playoffs starting before the NHL playoffs did. Many NBA markets are out of it which is leading to big numbers overall. The NHL still has to compete with the NBA no doubt, but this is a huge positive for the league. The playoffs are gaining more attention from casual viewers who likely wouldn't have cared as the NHL playoffs would have been buried on news channels by the NBA.

I think the ratings are going to get massive as we get to a few game 6 or 7's here in this round. Basketball will be in their 3rd round, but with the majority of big markets out of it, I think the NHL has a chance to finally capitalize here and take some ground back that they once had prior to the 94 lockout.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
Through three days, Conference Semifinals on NBCSN are up 51% through the same point last year (1.16 million vs. 769,000).

That is massive.
[Mod], especially considering how good NHL playoff ratings have been the last 5 or 6 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

ebox99

May 8, 2009
That is massive.

Anyone expecting more growth than that is crazy, especially considering how good NHL playoff ratings have been the last 5 or 6 years.

Local ratings have been impressive but it seems TV growth appears to mainly be local. Factor out the local ratings in the national ratings and it's relatively low.

It's still far off NBA ratings and their ratings are off 40% this year.

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
Cbc

A lot of people love to sniff at the Canadian ratings and maybe the NHL back in the day, but as of now its a cash cow, with CBC'S contract up and after seeing what the Leafs just drew in the first round? Well that price just went up big time! Trust me Bell or Rogers would love nothing better to do than snipe those Saturday night games and having first choice for Leafs games in the playoffs or a Canadian vs Canadian showdown. Also, these local deals for regional coverage are going to be going up like crazy.

Everybody, just not sports. Craves for content and especially if you can get something that can fill your airwaves for 3 hours including pre-game and post-game. That is huge. Look at what NBC was average for their post game on one night. 771 000k. That is pretty damn good for a network that trying to gain traction. Their doing better than CBS sportsnetwork.......Its unfortunate the NHL did lock in for that long of a term, but I was still happy it was with NBC and not ESPN or Fox. I just don't think they do a great job of growing and highlighting sports.

One thing the NHL is finally catching a break is their finally getting big market teams to boost ratings. Frick the NBA had this for decades going back to 1980. Riding Boston, L.A, Chicago and New York. Enough where now there is a memory build up and its sustainable if those markets aren't in the finals. Now there are drop offs, but still not to the point of catastrophic. Well San Antonio, New Jersey in some was like that, but NHL would've loved those ratings....lol

Also, to me what was a great sign a couple years ago when you had Vancouver/Boston in the finals. Now granted you had Boston and it went 7 games, but those drew some record ratings. To me that showed the NHL had build some kind of sustaining interest in their game. To have one Canadian team and you still did those numbers.....pretty impressive. We couldn't of said this 5 years ago. Just so happy with NBC.:)

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
A lot of people love to sniff at the Canadian ratings and maybe the NHL back in the day, but as of now its a cash cow, with CBC'S contract up and after seeing what the Leafs just drew in the first round? Well that price just went up big time!

So $350M instead of $325M?

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
I'll say that doubles easily! Maybe more or you might see CBC align with Rogers. The Leafs game for a game 7 did 5 mill! That is crazy! It peaked at a crazy number. Bell and Rogers are definitely taking notes...........

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
I'll say that doubles easily! Maybe more or you might see CBC align with Rogers. The Leafs game for a game 7 did 5 mill! That is crazy! It peaked at a crazy number. Bell and Rogers are definitely taking notes...........

So you think they get $700M easily?

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad