Speculation: 2013 NHL Trade Deadline Thread (CBJ deadline discussion here)

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Keep all proposals, speculation, and "blog" rumors in here.

It'll probably be a quiet deadline for the Jackets. Only guy I can see being moved is Letestu, but does he really have any value? Maybe a team picks up McElhinney for extra insurance.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I could see Aucoin and DMac being moved, personally. :dunno:

I think you might be able to add Umberger and possibly Brassard to the list also. In fact if they think they could get a first rounder for Tyutin they might trade him also. I don't see us as buyers in any way though.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think you might be able to add Umberger and possibly Brassard to the list also. In fact if they think they could get a first rounder for Tyutin they might trade him also. I don't see us as buyers in any way though.
Agree on Brass, disagree on Umby.
to the shock of absolutely noone

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Tyutin/Nikitin may be moved. Brassard may be moved.

Actually I have no idea who would be moved. It could totally be nothing or something from out of left field.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I have no idea who the Jackets would like to move, but as far as teams coming calling for players, I see them asking about:

Duby, Toots, Artem, Vinny, Test Tube, and maybe Aucoin.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
Our #1 Pick won't be moved
Ryan Murray won't be moved
Ryan Johanson, would take a major overpayment.

After that, all bets are off.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Yep, lets get this out of the way...

Aucoin: NMC
Prospal: NMC
Tyutin: Modified NTC
Umberger: NTC
Wisniewski: Modified NTC

Having a NTC, or NMC does not mean that teams will not show interest or make an offer. It merely means that a deal can't happen unless the player agrees to waive it.

I am merely speculating, at this point, who other teams might be interested in. If a trade were to actually happen would be another story entirely.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I would bet we see Brass gone. I'd like to see Umby gone, but I don't think it happens. I would bet two of Tyutin/Nikitin/Moore/Aucoin are sold off. We also might see a goalie moved with the injuries to the goalies around the league (i.e. cam ward)

As for the Massive over-payment brigade:
Johansen (Still worried about his development, but the potential is there for a star player)
AA (Our best forward and brings a great attitude)
Dubinsky (Heart and soul player, one of the guys new management seems to love)
JMFJ
Prospal (It would take a 1st to pry him out, and that only if the gentlemen's agreement is off the table. Maybe we trade him to a contender for a first and resign him in the offseason :sarcasm::naughty:)

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Our #1 Pick won't be moved
Ryan Murray won't be moved
Ryan Johanson, would take a major overpayment.

After that, all bets are off.

I would be inclined to think Dubi and Arty are also staying put given the remarks JD made about them. But who really knows. If offered the right deal JD/JK might trade 'em all. We're in unchartered territory with this pair.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I think this could end up being the biggest seller's market in the history of the NHL.

The two biggest factors as I see them are:
- Los Angeles going from #8 to a Stanley Cup last year, and dominating en route. They were out of the playoff race until mid-March, and didn't actually clinch until the last few days of the season. They then went 16-3 in the playoffs.

- The shortened season putting a huge premium on every single game. A team missing a second-pairing defenseman for a week near the deadline for a bubble team could be the end of their playoff hopes, and missing a second-line forward for two weeks could mean the same. At the same time, anyone on the outside looking in could be looking at adding a piece and surging into the playoffs, and presumably doing what the Kings did last year.

There may be at least a dozen players on the current roster who could fetch a first-rounder near the trade deadline this year. Not that I'd mind, in June, hearing the words, "The Blue Jackets will lead off with the #1 overall pick, but they have nine more 1st-rounders to work with this year."

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The question is what players will teams be willing to part with. Draft picks are fine, but the Jackets can't have a roster of 18 year olds next season or expect to make major free agent signings.

Bubble teams are going to want to add, not subtract. They may be willing to give up draft picks, but what about prospects? Rather than just getting a bunch of random pieces, what about getting key players.

Like what player or prospect would Brassard + Letestu get in return?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think this could end up being the biggest seller's market in the history of the NHL.

The two biggest factors as I see them are:
- Los Angeles going from #8 to a Stanley Cup last year, and dominating en route. They were out of the playoff race until mid-March, and didn't actually clinch until the last few days of the season. They then went 16-3 in the playoffs.

- The shortened season putting a huge premium on every single game. A team missing a second-pairing defenseman for a week near the deadline for a bubble team could be the end of their playoff hopes, and missing a second-line forward for two weeks could mean the same. At the same time, anyone on the outside looking in could be looking at adding a piece and surging into the playoffs, and presumably doing what the Kings did last year.

There may be at least a dozen players on the current roster who could fetch a first-rounder near the trade deadline this year. Not that I'd mind, in June, hearing the words, "The Blue Jackets will lead off with the #1 overall pick, but they have nine more 1st-rounders to work with this year."

I agree. This could be a very interesting deadline all around, in fact, with the salary cap re-structuring next year ... teams may be looking to juggle things and make some major changes. I don't know that we have that many guys with first round value, but I think stockpiling picks would be the worst thing that we could do, with Jarmo in charge of who's getting picked.

If we can land a could of second rounders, for example, we may be looking at leverage in trading up higher in the first round.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I agree. This could be a very interesting deadline all around, in fact, with the salary cap re-structuring next year ... teams may be looking to juggle things and make some major changes. I don't know that we have that many guys with first round value, but I think stockpiling picks would be the worst thing that we could do, with Jarmo in charge of who's getting picked.

If we can land a could of second rounders, for example, we may be looking at leverage in trading up higher in the first round.

Is that what you really meant or should it read "...would not be the worst...."

I don't think we are going to trade anyone who might bring a first. 2nd's a plenty.Brass, Tyutin, Prospal all could bring 2's. Umby also if he agrees to go. Maybe even 2's + something

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The question is what players will teams be willing to part with. Draft picks are fine, but the Jackets can't have a roster of 18 year olds next season or expect to make major free agent signings.

Bubble teams are going to want to add, not subtract. They may be willing to give up draft picks, but what about prospects? Rather than just getting a bunch of random pieces, what about getting key players.

Like what player or prospect would Brassard + Letestu get in return?

You're expecting rational behavior at the most irrational time of the year. Good GMs can make great trades, great GMs can go further because they can fuel the paranoia. There's a part in "Moneyball" where Billy Beane is trying to convince the GM of the Expos to pry a prospect loose from Boston (Kevin Youkilis) by doing exactly this. The Expos had Cliff Floyd, the Red Sox needed to add someone of Floyd's caliber and position, and everyone knew it. Beane, an uninvolved third party, loved Youkilis and saw this as his chance. During the conversations, he kept telling the GM of the Expos that the fans of Boston would hang their GM if the only thing that prevented the Red Sox from winning a World Series was a first baseman playing double-A ball who wouldn't be in the majors for another three years.

San Jose is looking at a closing window. Minnesota has underachieved despite making a huge splash in free agency. Detroit may be looking to hang on for another year or two. Toronto and Montreal are doing unexpectedly well. Anaheim has four major UFAs and might want to make a last shot. And so on.

In cases like this, grafting the pieces in (regardless of fit or contract situation) will become a priority. Would Montreal let themselves be shoved around and out of the playoffs in one round rather than spend a 2nd on a guy like Jared Boll? If there's a key player on a playoff team who's fighting off an injury, do they try to pick up a replacement and deal with the roster logjam later?

I can see at least four or five teams going all-in at the deadline. And when they do that, they may well be blowing off their own foot when the contract situations clear. This could be an incredible year to stockpile assets, and then clean up in free agency when those same teams have to pay the piper.

I need to find a list of all the trades made by MLB GMs at the winter meetings back in their heyday. The days when cigar smoke was thick and the drinks were stiff. Major deals that would shape the face of a franchise or of the league for years to come were talked about and agreed upon in minutes or hours, not over the span of days. The NHL deadline is the closest thing that we see to this, where a lot of guys shoot from the hip and then get remorse weeks later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad