2013 NHL Re-Draft

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'm happy with MacKinnon. Sure, he hasn't hit a Seguin level, but he had a good end to this season on the worst team in the cap era. I don't think any other player drafted would be finding more success in such a lousy organization. Jones included. I just can't see him developing as well in Colorado as he did in Nashville.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I love having MacKinnon, I still believe he can turn into what we believed he could be after his rookie year (he was the unquestioned MVP this year in my view).

But I wanted Jones then, and I would like him now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mack is showing some signs of breaking into elite levels IMO. He still does some dumb things but by and large I think he's on the verge of a massive year.

The only player I consider taking over him is Jones. We had a massive need for Defense at the time of that draft and we still have the massive need for Defense now. And taking Jones would've solved all of those issues.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mack will be fine. I get the argument that we should have taken a defenseman earlier but I still take Mack. Funny that Horvat is a choice on there, Mack outscores Horvat this year, he outscored the Sedins too. He outscored everyone on the list and tied Drouin.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Mack will be fine. I get the argument that we should have taken a defenseman earlier but I still take Mack. Funny that Horvat is a choice on there, Mack outscores Horvat this year, he outscored the Sedins too. He outscored everyone on the list and tied Drouin.

Never mind Horvat. If Boeser was available, would you have taken Boeser first overall? :sarcasm:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Mack will be fine. I get the argument that we should have taken a defenseman earlier but I still take Mack. Funny that Horvat is a choice on there, Mack outscores Horvat this year, he outscored the Sedins too.

Horvat's progression is something I've watched a bit and he really reminds me of O'Reilly. Much better two-way than MacKinnon and still solid offensively. Still would pick him over Nate MacK though.

I picked Jones, although it was a tough one. For me personally I love MacKinnon, but at the time of the draft if we could have stuck with our center core of Duchene, Stastny and O'Reilly and added in a solid dman I would have been all over that.

Even now going into a rebuild/retool/rewhatever I think having a 21-22 year first line dman is better than having the same age center.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Barkov and Jones are the only ones I'd consider taking over him right now, and Barkov's injury history scares me. He scores at a higher rate than MacKinnon but hasn't ever played more than 71 games. I'd rather have MacKinnon scoring 55 in 82 than Barkov scoring 50 in 60. So I'd go Jones-MacKinnon-Barkov.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Yup, love Mack but it's gotta be Jones for me. He's such a special player and he would have filled a humongous hole on this team. The way he plays is so smooth and confident.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah, I love Mack but unless we trade Dutchy for a solid defender who has #1 upside, it will be real comical ( in a really twisted masochistic sort of way ) that we passed on Jones.

I was on the Mack train when we drafted and I still like his potential, but it will be real sad if Jones turns out to be that stud #1 we have been looking for.

Maybe it will work out and Mack will end up as an elite center that we need, and maybe Jones wouldn't have developed the same in our organization ( in my mind you can't think like that, though ), but I really hope we don't look back and think what might have been.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
i vote mack...his selection makes more sense if (like i believe) mgmt thought at the time ROR and Stats were not going to be here going forward. If you pick Jones then Matt is your no. 1 and thats it.

now that wouldnt have been the end of the world, many teams dont have a true no. 1 C and they still are competitive to good teams but these are the Avs. they love them some centers.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
i vote mack...his selection makes more sense if (like i believe) mgmt thought at the time ROR and Stats were not going to be here going forward. If you pick Jones then Matt is your no. 1 and thats it.

now that wouldnt have been the end of the world, many teams dont have a true no. 1 C and they still are competitive to good teams but these are the Avs. they love them some centers.

Yeah I'd like to know what was going through their heads during that time. Had they already accepted that they were probably going to lose both O'reilly and Statsny? Did they think of Dutchy as the number two going forward? Did they already see him as a winger? Hard to say I guess. I still don't understand why they wanted Mack and Dutchy on the same team. I always thought their games were too similar. You need to be able to win multiple different ways in the playoffs and need to diversify your talent imo.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
No, I don't think they had a long term plan down the middle, I dont think they ever considered Stastny leaving and only accepted ROR was when they traded him. I think they looked at things year to year, what gave them the best shot at the playoffs. Roy pushed for Mack.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
No, I don't think they had a long term plan down the middle, I dont think they ever considered Stastny leaving and only accepted ROR was when they traded him. I think they looked at things year to year, what gave them the best shot at the playoffs. Roy pushed for Mack.

Yeah, I'd agree that it was Roy who pushed for Mack. Seems stupid in retrospect to not have some kind of plan before they went into this draft, though. It was the highest draft pick Colorado had ever had. I wonder if there was any particular reason Roy pushed for Mack other than that he thought he was BPA? ie. Maybe they wanted to have a fun offensive team or didn't want to want to wait for Jones to develop?

Wish I was a fly on the wall of the train wreck.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's MacK still.

Barkov has injury concerns, Jones is great and all but not sure he'd be the same player had he been developed by us, Drouin is not close, Monahan has more points but has also had the benefit of playing on a better team.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Jones 100 times out of 100. Without MacKinnon, the miracle year likely doesn't happen. Maybe Roy can boost them to a bubble team, but MacK's dynamism was really important, and Jones wouldn't have been on the team. We can never know how good or bad the season would have been without him, but passing on Jones because we needed a C is silly. There are centers in every draft. If we sucked again with essentially the same roster that picked #1 the year before, we could have ended up with Draisaitl the very next year. Boom, there's your new 1C.

Also, I would argue that picking MacK was one of the reasons that Stastny and ROR wanted out. They knew that he was the future for the Avs and that they would always be behind him if they stayed. No wonder they went looking for greener pastures. Now it looks like Duchene is also on his way out after being pushed to the wing. MacK is a good player, but I question whether he is worth the cost of Stastny, ROR, and Duchene all being off the team in just 4 years.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Hindsight is 20/20 but looking back it would make sense to draft Jones. Sure he may have not developed here like in Nashville but he would be our best shot at getting that stud number one defenseman. If we were going for a center I would pick Barkov. I know he has injury concerns but he would have meant Duchene did not have a player that mirrored him in MacKinnon. In addition we should have traded Stastny at the draft with a good amount of salary retention (in order to get the highest value).

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah, I'd agree that it was Roy who pushed for Mack. Seems stupid in retrospect to not have some kind of plan before they went into this draft, though. It was the highest draft pick Colorado had ever had. I wonder if there was any particular reason Roy pushed for Mack other than that he thought he was BPA? ie. Maybe they wanted to have a fun offensive team or didn't want to want to wait for Jones to develop?

Wish I was a fly on the wall of the train wreck.

Mack was from the Q and he was very familiar with him. He also wanted fast offensive players and gave the speech that you can find good D in the second round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad