Speculation: 2013 NHL Playoffs: Why is Detroit succeeding where the Wild did not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Pretty much. The Wild manage to score even one powerplay goal, and it becomes a completely different series.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
1. Detroit is a far more superior puck possession team than Minnesota
2. Detroit has more playoff experience than Minnesota, especially on their blueline
3. Chicago's D is struggling, especially Seabrook

This, plus...

Detroit is also fully healthy, which the Wild were not. They have both their #1 goalie and their #1 backup. Their #1 D isn't playing with one arm and their forwards aren't all (for the most part) playing on one leg.

The Wild were banged up at the wrong time. Having a team with $20M in difference makers out for the start of the playoffs... /facepalm

Babcock also uses nearly the same system as Yeo. The Wings roster is just better at it.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
The Wings rarely dump and chase. They only do that when the opposing team is standing them up at the blue line.

The Wild ALWAYS dump the puck. They didn't do that under Lemaire. I'm pretty sure they didn't always do that under Richards. I'm also pretty sure it's not Koivu's "godly" influence that makes all the other players dump all the time. I wonder why they do it then?

WildFinn*

This, plus...

Detroit is also fully healthy, which the Wild were not. They have both their #1 goalie and their #1 backup. Their #1 D isn't playing with one arm and their forwards aren't all (for the most part) playing on one leg.

The Wild were banged up at the wrong time. Having a team with $20M in difference makers out for the start of the playoffs... /facepalm

Babcock also uses nearly the same system as Yeo. The Wings roster is just better at it.

The difference is that Detroit looks a bit same only because they lack the blue line ability to support offense like before.

They dump and chase only if there are no other options, Babcock hates that.

That is the reason for them shuffling the blue line, Babcock is trying to find the guys that he can trust in giving those passes.

If Detroit had Suter and Brodin their game would look very different.

Last edited by a moderator:

WildFinn*

The Wings rarely dump and chase. They only do that when the opposing team is standing them up at the blue line.

The Wild ALWAYS dump the puck. They didn't do that under Lemaire. I'm pretty sure they didn't always do that under Richards. I'm also pretty sure it's not Koivu's "godly" influence that makes all the other players dump all the time. I wonder why they do it then?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
A. Babcock

B. Datsyuk

C. Zetterberg

D. A great cast of guys who have goal scoring support.

E. No idea how their blue line is working, see A.

:(

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I think it needs to be pointed out that Chicago has not looked great all playoffs.

The Wild outplayed them in 4 of the 5 games, but Chicago could score in a blink of an eye and the Wild had zero answer. The Wings have better scoring ability than the Wild.

That is very true. Why they didn't rest players when they had the conference locked up is beyond me

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011

You mean, dump and chase police? :laugh:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
what are you

I think Detroit would rather have had Suter. Problem is I don't know if Suter would have done as well in Detroit as in Minnesota. Probably but would take longer and probably wouldn't have the season he had in Minnesota. It's only because I don't see a partner like Brodin on their roster.

Parise would have been interesting to see and I think you would see kind of the passing of the torch between Datsyuk and Zetterberg to Parise.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Wings play the same system as Yeo :laugh: :shakehead

Somebody is out to lunch

sisko-facepalm.jpg

You either aren't watching or have no clue what a "system" is...

Babcock and Bylsma have both stated in the past that they use the exact same system.

Babcock = Bylsma = Yeo

If the forwards lack options to carry the puck into the zone, it is supposed to be softly dumped into a corner.

Again, the difference is the talent and ability.

Jesus. Even Crosby dumps the puck if he doesn't have options to carry it into the bloody zone...

jesusfacepalm.jpg

WildFinn*

sisko-facepalm.jpg

You either aren't watching or have no clue what a "system" is...

Babcock and Bylsma have both stated in the past that they use the exact same system.

Babcock = Bylsma = Yeo

If the forwards lack options to carry the puck into the zone, it is supposed to be softly dumped into a corner.

Again, the difference is the talent and ability.

Jesus. Even Crosby dumps the puck if he doesn't have options to carry it into the bloody zone...

jesusfacepalm.jpg

“We’d like not to dump the puck at all,†Babcock said. “The bottom line is the game’s real simple, the more time you spend in your zone, the less time you spend in their zone, the more time you dump the puck because you got no speed on the rush. If you’re efficient coming out and move the puck and you do it right once, you’re coming with speed, you don’t have to dump the puck, you probably get some sort of entry, or at least you give up possession and get it right back.

“Dumping the puck is awful when you’re just dumping it in and changing,†Babcock continued. “Just dump and change, dump and change, you spend the whole game in your own zone wearing yourself out. Our focus is try not to do that and yet there’s parts of the game every night you’re in a bit of a survival mode and you do that.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...bcocks-preaching-a-new-puck-possession-mantra

"The best football teams have good running games," Yeo said. "They pound the ball and pound the ball and eventually soften up the defense. Same in hockey. It's easier to defend than to create offense, so you dump the puck to find ways to break them. Early in games, you should actually be doing it a lot because it's not about that shift or that period. It's about investing in the whole game.

"You put a couple pucks in behind the defensemen and let [Cal Clutterbuck] run loose on them, as the game wears on, they'll start to get tired, their gaps will get worse and suddenly everything about their defensive coverage gets softer. They don't want to get hit anymore."

http://m.startribune.com/sports/?id=193156151

We can stop this Yeo critics dont understand hockey or systems BS, Babcock and Yeo have a totally different philosophy about how the game should be played.

I like Yeo giving the football comparison because that is how i see hockey turning out with these coaches.

It is a bad comparison because hockey is originally about speed, skill and scoring but we have these terminators inside the sport that are dangerous for the future.

The dumb and chase was at one time so bad that they changed the rules to stop it, remember?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...bcocks-preaching-a-new-puck-possession-mantra

http://m.startribune.com/sports/?id=193156151

We can stop this Yeo critics dont understand hockey or systems BS, Babcock and Yeo have a totally different philosophy about how the game should be played.

I like Yeo giving the football comparison because that is how i see hockey turning out with these coaches.

It is a bad comparison because hockey is originally about speed, skill and scoring but we have these terminators inside the sport that are dangerous for the future.

The dumb and chase was at one time so bad that they changed the rules to stop it, remember?

The difference in philosophy is staggering between Babcock and Yeo. Babcock plays puck possession wherever possible, Yeo plays the dump and chase religiously. What I find extremely funny is that he mentions softening up the defense, yet we almost never check the defenders into the end boards when we chase the puck in. We let the defense get it and fire it around the boards and we veer away from what would have been a legal, body crunching check.

And the one time in the year when we REALLY got physical, you know, in game 3, we dominated Chicago.

To hell with Yeo and this notion that he plays the same system as Blysma and Babcock. There really is no valid comparison to be made.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Thanks for the quotes WildFinn.

Yea I must be clueless Bozak :laugh: Don't they have a beer league boards for you to post on. I'd bet you are the only one on HF who thinks the Red Wings and Wild play the same system. Completely ridiculous.

Everyone dumps when there are not other options. But the the Red Wings actively work to not dump the puck in and lose possession. Part of it is the players but a lot of it has to do with coaching and what Yeo is pounding into the heads of our players. Get it in behind their D get in deep then go to work.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Every time I watch Leddy with Chicago, he's rushing the puck deep into the offensive zone. Reminds me a little of Burns.

The Wild could really use a defenseman like that. Currently, Spurgeon's the only one who even attempts O-zone entries; unfortunately, he's easy to knock off the puck.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Well, you dump to prevent a turnover at the entry blueline because the other team playing some kind of neutral zone trap.

I think the Wild dump so much because the Wild forwards are just terrible in the break-out and neutral zone. No support of the puck carrier or forcing the defense to play the whole width of the ice. They are either lagging behind the play or they are too far ahead of the puck that they are sitting on the opposing teams blueline, clogging it up and preventing a clean entry.

Watch good teams. They have 3-4 guys skating up ice all at the same speed. 1 -2 supporting the puck carrier and one swinging wide on the far side.

Wild don't do that at all. The near side winger is still in the defensive zone because he tapped it up to the far side winger who is now the puck carrier. The center is trying to get into the play, but he's generally 15 feet behind the play too. Far side Dman doesn't join in either.

So, instead you have the far side winger who is the puck carrier skating into 2 Dmen and the opposing center is closing from the middle of the ice. That puck carrier chips the puck in, nearside Dman slows him down, while the far side Dman retrieves. Even if the forechecker gets to the puck, the defense can generally run a quick 4 v 3 in the bottom of their Dzone and break-out the puck quickly the other way.

Phant03

Jan 18, 2013
Reading comprehension is lacking. You post quotes but don't read and understand them?

WildFinn*

Reading comprehension is lacking. You post quotes but don't read and understand them?

Trying to sound mysterious? I dont like your smug attitude, that is easy to do in the internet.:laugh:

You can twist anything if you want but the point was attitude towards dump and chase, are you saying they are from the same school as coaches?

Every team does it but Yeo clearly thinks it as a viable way to play for the Wild.

Yes, Parise said they have green light to go if its safe in the neutral.

But why is the Wild so slow getting to the neutral zone in your opinion, is it just the players?

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Dump and chase can be very effective, but you need to have a roster similar to the Blues' one. Size and speed, then you can dump, and chase, and soften up the defense all you want. We don't have either, that's why our system becomes "dump and change".

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Dats and Zetterberg are still very good players but in no way shape or form is Zetterburg one of the two best players in hockey. that's pretty nuts; something not even red wings fans would come up with in their finest homer moments. There's a better argument for Dats but still I think most Wings fans would slot Crosby above him.

Also...Detroit just has Chicago's number. Familiarity plays a big part in that...Chicago's big guns slumping at the wrong time while Detroit's are peaking. It isn't a matter of Detroit shutting down chicago's top players so far--or are you going to suggest the Wild did as well (and thus deserving of a little praise, which I'm sure you're loath to do). Detroit did however do a great job of shutting down chicago's depth which we failed to do.

tl;dr Detroit isn't a friggin powerhouse. Wings A squad peaks while Hawks A squad slumps + familiarity = better chances. kinda like how we did extremely well vs the Canucks for years while they were winning or contending for presidents trophies and we were rolling around in the bottom half of the league.
That's fine, they're overlooked by the NHL in general so most people think that, but if I could have any two players in the NHL, and two to start a team with it's Zetterberg and Datsyuk, followed by Toews and then Malkin. They are great ALL AROUND players.

Btw, I am in total love with Babcock's system of puck possession, THE PROBLEM is you have to have the talent to be able to do that, the Wild do not as of right now. If you watch the playoffs the Red Wings had to do left wing lock, trapping in the neutral zone and yes even dumping and chasing because Chicago's D wouldn't let them carry it in and because Detroit is not as talented this year as year's past.

Yeo is not wrong at all about the dump and chase and winning board battles having to be the way to win games in the NHL these days.

My biggest problem with him is his lack of in game adjustments, but as a young coach i'm hoping he will learn from that this summer and learn to adapt faster on the fly.

Phant03

Jan 18, 2013
Trying to sound mysterious? I dont like your smug attitude, that is easy to do in the internet.:laugh:

You can twist anything if you want but the point was attitude towards dump and chase, are you saying they are from the same school as coaches?

Every team does it but Yeo clearly thinks it as a viable way to play for the Wild.

Yes, Parise said they have green light to go if its safe in the neutral.

But why is the Wild so slow getting to the neutral zone in your opinion, is it just the players?

To me it's the youth and inexperience of the D corps, the amount of new bodies they brought in and the lack of camp and practices.

How many other teams do you watch? Not looking to troll or be a jerk, I'm genuinely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad