Speculation: 2013 NHL Playoffs: Why is Detroit succeeding where the Wild did not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
As I mentioned, I think the main problem is that the Wild don't break-out of the Dzone and move through the Neutral Zone as a unit. If you have three forwards moving up ice at the same speed, along with 1 Dman, both dumping the puck or carrying the puck in is going to be effective.

At that point its just a judgment call based on whether the defense is putting pressure on the blueline entry or sitting back.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
As I mentioned, I think the main problem is that the Wild don't break-out of the Dzone and move through the Neutral Zone as a unit. If you have three forwards moving up ice at the same speed, along with 1 Dman, both dumping the puck or carrying the puck in is going to be effective.

At that point its just a judgment call based on whether the defense is putting pressure on the blueline entry or sitting back.

Break-outs was definitely a problem. Getting 3 players rushing up the ice consistently would be a huge accomplishment for this team. They usually only have 1 or 2. But even a 2 player rush can be effective, this team just needs more creativity. Pretty much every rush they have they just skate straight up the ice, no crisscross, no drop passes. Blackhawks had a nice 2 on 2 during one of their games against Detroit. The player with the puck cut towards the center of the ice while the other went toward the net creating a nice little pick.

OpRedDawn*

Seems like they sag waaay too far in too, which certainly doesn't help teh breakout

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Exactly.

Centers are always way low in the Dzone and slow to get up ice.

Nearside winger is tangled up at the halfwall with the pinching Dman or just not moving his feet.

Dmen aren't even thinking about moving up ice or are headed for a change.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Exactly.

Centers are always way low in the Dzone and slow to get up ice.

Nearside winger is tangled up at the halfwall with the pinching Dman or just not moving his feet.

Dmen aren't even thinking about moving up ice or are headed for a change.

With the average NHL shift being 45-60 seconds... The lack of speed on the Wild roster also impacts the apparent inequities of the most common system in hockey. If the players are slow or lazy going off for their change, the dump part of the most common system in hockey starts being more and more "dump and change" rather than "dump and chase".

One of the reasons why Clutterbuck has annoyed me so much this season is his lazy ass changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad