2013 NHL-NHLPA CBA

The Ooh Wow

Apr 4, 2006
Turku, Finland
WingingItinMotown said:
Aged 18 and 19 players who aren't going to be used by the big club have to be offered to the junior club from whom they were drafted before they can be sent to any other team (AHL, ECHL)

Can any of you CBA-savants tell me if this Article 8 applies to European players? There's confusion about Rasmus Ristolainen. He says he can't be sent to AHL. Sabres say he can. He's under contract in Europe. Thanks in advance.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
A technical question about salary cap interpretation/application follows. I understand that cap hit is prorated on a daily basis. Given an annual ceiling of $64,300,000 over a 195-day season, we're looking at approx $329,743 per day. Two ways of interpreting that...
  • does that mean no more than $329,743 per day, every day?
  • or can a team carry a balance forward, and use it later in the season? E.g. if their cap hit is $328,743 on one day, can they go to $330,743 another day, as long as after N days they do not exceed ( $64,300,000 * N / 195 )?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
You can bank cap space during the season if under the cap max (if using LTIR space, not under cap and not banking space.)

Can any of you CBA-savants tell me if this Article 8 applies to European players? There's confusion about Rasmus Ristolainen. He says he can't be sent to AHL. Sabres say he can. He's under contract in Europe. Thanks in advance.

Historically, 8.7 rule related to an agreement between the NHL and the CHL. It applies to European players IF they were drafted out of the CHL. Haven't heard that it has changed.

However, there have been transfer agreements between other federations and the NHL regarding younger players and returning them (Sweden had one, which didn't apply to first round picks from what I recall, but I believe it expired.) Some have expired, not sure what if anything is in place at this time with Finland, but I'd guess nothing preventing his assignment to the AHL since he signed his ELC with Buffalo.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
When the CBA first was signed, there was a sticky with the overview/main points to it. Is that still around?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Is there any stipulation in the CBA as to the quality of hotel the team must stay at when travelling on the road?

AFAIK, yes. (I believe one sticking point in negotiations was stipulating the minimum thread count of sheets. :sarcasm:)

(Don't have CBA at hand to look up specific article at the moment.)

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
NHL NHLPA Rookie Orientation Program

Hmmm, hadn’t noticed this addition to the CBA. As a result of a tweet from Carolina reporter Chip Alexander, I went looking and found something in the CBA about a new rookie orientation program.

"15.12 Rookie Orientation Program. The NHL and NHLPA agree to jointly sponsor an annual Rookie Orientation Program (“ROP”) in each off-season. The purpose of the ROP is to educate Players regarding the challenges they may face as an NHL Player and the life skills they will need to develop in order to meet those challenges. The NHL and NHLPA will meet each year and agree upon the location, duration, agenda and format for the ROP. Following consultation with the NHL and NHLPA, each Club shall select up to three (3) Entry Level Players who are expected to be playing in the NHL for a significant period of time in the upcoming season to attend each ROP. Costs of the ROP will be shared equally by the NHL and NHLPA."

The Alexander tweet: @ice_chip

"Elias Lindholm at RCI today but not skating. Says leaving with Murphy tomorrow to attend rookie orientation program in Washington."

So event taking place; I'm assuming he means Washington, DC.

Last edited:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
When does LTIR cap-exemption kick in at start of season?

I've been seeing conflicting interpretations of this one. E.g. Philadelphia is currently $2,053,522 over the cap. Since they're at 25 players assume they send down Gervais and Bourdon, total of $1,437,500 between them to get down to 23 players. I had assumed that Pronger's $4,941,429 cap hit would be enough to bring the Flyers in compliance with the CBA. Others say that teams must be under $64,300,000 on opening day, and that LTIR doesn't kick in until the following day. The Flyers can still meet this by sending down a waiver-exempt player for 1 game, but it does seem a bit wierd. Can somebody confirm/deny this? I've searched the CBA, and can't find a reference to this.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I've been seeing conflicting interpretations of this one. E.g. Philadelphia is currently $2,053,522 over the cap. Since they're at 25 players assume they send down Gervais and Bourdon, total of $1,437,500 between them to get down to 23 players. I had assumed that Pronger's $4,941,429 cap hit would be enough to bring the Flyers in compliance with the CBA. Others say that teams must be under $64,300,000 on opening day, and that LTIR doesn't kick in until the following day. The Flyers can still meet this by sending down a waiver-exempt player for 1 game, but it does seem a bit wierd. Can somebody confirm/deny this? I've searched the CBA, and can't find a reference to this.

It's correct that teams must be compliant on opening day. However, I have seen several cases where teams had players coming into the season who would be bonafide LTIR cases, due to carryover from the prior season. (See Jiri Fischer.) I believe teams can make that designation on opening day.

Even if that isn't the case, LTIR can be designated retroactively once it becomes a bonafide instance (going from IR to LTIR). Maybe teams have to file the paperwork on LTIR for the season, but it does seem absurd to actually force player movement.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's correct that teams must be compliant on opening day. However, I have seen several cases where teams had players coming into the season who would be bonafide LTIR cases, due to carryover from the prior season. (See Jiri Fischer.) I believe teams can make that designation on opening day.

Roster deadline is noon the day before opening day.

(So with teams expecting LTIR, there may be a "paper" transfer of prospects to AHL, "recalled" once injured player put on LTIR.)

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
Does any CBA expert know if suspensions can include pre-season games? I took a quick look in the CBA and for the fines they talk about calculating lost income per regular season game but it didn't appear to specify whether a player can be suspended in the pre-season. I am curious to know.

Nevermind: I guess my question has been answered.

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Mirtle looking at the teams who are still over the cap as the season approaches, provides this tidbit:

Provision 50.10(e) of the agreement is called the “roster emergency exception,” and it will allow, for the first time, teams to call up players that won’t count against the cap.

There are a pile of stipulations involved, as you can imagine:

1) Teams have to have less cap room than the league minimum salary (which is $550,000 this season) plus $100,000

2) A player has to become “unfit or unable to play” or be suspended

3) The team is unable to recall a player using the long-term injury provision

4) The team played its last game with fewer than 20 players (18 skaters and two goaltenders)

If those conditions are met, teams can then add players who make $650,000 or less “without any charge to the club’s averaged club salary for the duration of such roster emergency.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...s-like-leafs-with-cap-crunch/article14545832/

Betamax*

Could someone with intimate knowledge of the new CBA confirm or deny the following comment I made earlier today:

I've also heard in TEAM radio in a discussion that the new CBA apparently limits the contact an NHL team can have with players' regarding their off-season training regimen.

I think I also heard them mention the Canucks discussing the possibility of contracting their Strength and Conditioning Coach for during the NHL Season only, so they are "technically" not Canucks' employees during the off-season to get around it.

I'm wondering if I misremembered or misheard what was stated above.

BTW, those comments were in relation to the Canucks' David Booth and how he trains during the off-season.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Could someone with intimate knowledge of the new CBA confirm or deny the following comment I made earlier today:

I think I also heard them mention the Canucks discussing the possibility of contracting their Strength and Conditioning Coach for during the NHL Season only, so they are "technically" not Canucks' employees during the off-season to get around it.

I'm wondering if I misremembered or misheard what was stated above.

BTW, those comments were in relation to the Canucks' David Booth and how he trains during the off-season.

If a player is injured during the season and heads into the off-season needing rehab, there are rules in place about this topic, but not the way you describe. Possible there's more, but this is one aspect I know is in the CBA, see below 34.6. From what I recall this language shown below was not in the 2005 CBA. In addition, the rules about formal conditioning camps and which players can be required to attend are defined 15.10 and 15.11. Maybe someone else knows more about your questions.

34.6 Rehabilitation in the Off-Season.
(a) An injured Player who receives written permission (hereafter in Section 34.6 "permission") from his Club pursuant to this Section 34.6 will be permitted to rehabilitate injuries during the off-season in the city of his off-season home or other location, in accordance with and subject to the terms of this Section 34.6.
(b) The Club will be responsible for the reasonable costs incurred in connection with such rehabilitation provided permission has been granted.
(c) The Club shall grant permission if the Player establishes to the Club's reasonable satisfaction that the rehabilitation facility proposed by the Player, and the ATs proposed by the Player to administer such rehabilitation, are of a quality commensurate with the facilities and staff that the Club would be providing in the Club's home city. In the event that either of the foregoing conditions is not satisfied, the Club can: (1) refuse permission in its sole discretion and require the Player to stay in the Club's home city in the off-season to rehabilitate an injury, or (2) grant permission in its sole discretion.
(d) To allow the Club to monitor the Player's condition and progress, the Player and/or the AT shall send periodic status reports to the Club. Following such status reports, the Club may request periodic in-person evaluations of the Player by the Club in the Club's home city (for which the Club will bear reasonable travel-related expenses) if the Club has reasonable grounds to believe that the Player's rehabilitation is not progressing satisfactorily. After such in- person evaluation, if the Club determines that the rehabilitation is not progressing satisfactorily, the Club shall have the right to require the Player to continue his rehabilitation in the Club's home city or such other location as is approved pursuant to subsection (a) above, and shall provide the basis for its decision, in writing, to the Player.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
While responding to a thread on the main board, I noticed a minor update to the CBA. There is now a one day Goaltender Professional Try-Out (PTO) agreement, in addition to the old Amateur Try-Out (ATO) one - the player is paid $500 and can keep the jersey.

If both goalies are injured

kdb209 said:
'First, he signed an emergency amateur tryout contract. (He can’t be paid or it would mess with his university hockey status.) Then he went into the Leafs dressing room.'

This part actually confuses me a bit. If it was an NCAA goalie, I'd understand a bit better. However, most CIS players have already spent time in major junior, where they were paid and no longer have amateur status. Willows apparently played for Dauphin in the MJHL, so I guess he still had his amateur status. But why does it even matter at the CIS level? You don't need to be an 'amateur' to play in the CIS, and he clearly isn't going to the NCAA. Can anyone enlighten regarding this? Thanks!

Him being a College player (CIS or NCAA) had nothing to do with him not being paid. Any third goalie in this situation could only play under a one day ATO (Amateur Try-Out) contract.

Under the CBA, the only two recognized contracts were a regular full season SPC or the one-day ATO agreement.

CBA Exhibit 17 said:
EXHIBIT 17
NHL REGULAR SEASON –AMATEUR TRY-OUT AGREEMENT
MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT Date: ____________________________

BETWEEN: ___________________________________
hereinafter called the "Player"

---AND--- ___________________________________
hereinafter called the "Club"

In consideration of the opportunity to play in the NHL, the Player (who is an Amateur) agrees to present himself,
upon request of the Club to perform services as a Player on [DATE] at [LOCATION].
This agreement shall be valid for a term of one (1) day, and a Club shall only be permitted to enter into such an
agreement when under emergency conditions as set forth in Section 13.12(m)(ii) of the CBA. Under this agreement,
the Player shall receive no salary, bonus (of any kind) or any other form of compensation.

edit:

The new CBA has added a new one day Goaltender PTO (Professional Try-Out) - the player gets paid $500 and gets to keep the jersey.

CBA Article 16.14 said:
16.14 Goaltender Professional Try-Out Agreement. In the event of, and to address, a last
minute injury that results in a Club not being able to dress two goaltenders for an NHL Game
and when the League has determined that effectuating a Recall is otherwise impossible (e.g., a
Recalled Player could not possibly have arrived in time to participate in the Game due to travel),
such Club may sign a goaltender to a PTO in accordance with Section 11.1(c) and subject to the
following provisions:

(a) The Club must file, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, a PTO Form attached
hereto as Exhibit 17-A.

(b) The Club shall have sufficient Payroll Room, equivalent to the amount necessary
to Recall a Player with an SPC that has an Averaged Amount equal to the Minimum Paragraph 1
NHL Salary.

(c) The Club may not use a PTO pursuant to this section in consecutive games.

(d) A Player signed to a PTO pursuant to this section will be paid US $500 per game
and will be allowed to keep his game-worn jersey. This amount will not be included in
calculating a Club's Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and the Players' Share, for
purposes of Article 50.

(e) The Player must not have a current contractual obligation elsewhere. In addition,
the Player cannot terminate an existing contractual obligation to meet this requirement.

(f) In the event the Club is at the Active Roster limit, the Club may utilize a
Goaltender Exemption, and shall comply with the provisions of Section 16.13.​

CBA Exhibit 17-A said:
EXHIBIT 17-A
NHL GOALTENDER PROFESSIONAL TRY-OUT AGREEMENT
Date __________________

MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT
BETWEEN: ___________________________________
hereinafter called the "Player"

---AND--- ___________________________________
hereinafter called the "Club"

In consideration of the opportunity to play in the NHL, receipt of $500, and the Player being permitted to retain his
game-worn jersey, the Player agrees to present himself, upon request of the Club to perform services as a player on
[DATE] at [LOCATION].

This agreement shall be valid for a term of one (1) day, and a Club shall only be permitted to enter into such an
agreement in accordance with Section 16.14 of the CBA. No additional payment, bonus (of any kind) or any other
form of compensation is permitted, other than as provided for herein.

Player certifies that he does not have any current contractual obligation elsewhere. Player further certifies that he
has not terminated an existing contractual obligation to meet the foregoing requirement.

Club certifies that it is signing player to this Professional Try-Out Agreement in order to address a last minute
injury, illness or League suspension that results in the Club not being able to dress two goaltenders for an NHL
Game, and that effectuating a Recall is otherwise impossible (e.g., a Recalled Player could not possibly have arrived
in time to participate in the Game due to travel).

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Question: Teuvo Teravainen finishes up in the Finish league and comes over to play for the Hawks at the end of the season. If he plays 7 regular season games and 5 playoff games, does he burn a year off his ELC?

Do playoff games count against the 10 game rule for the slide? The rule reads 10 NHL games.

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
Article 1 of the CBA defines all the important words and terms found throughout the CBA itself—including NHL Games. NHL Games refers to both regular season and playoff games.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Anyone know how the Hawks can have 51 players signed to a SPC and not be in violation of the 50 limit rule? Really 52 but MacNeil is in the JRs and played less than 10 games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad