2013 NHL-NHLPA CBA

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The Islanders signed Ladd on a bonus heavy contract. Basically he gets a large chunk of his money on July 1, then 1M during the season for the bulk of the deal. In the final year he gets a 3M bonus(July 1) + 1M . If the Islanders traded him on July 2 that last year, how would the caphit be distributed that season? Would the team picking him up get dinged the entire caphit since it's viewed he played the entire season there or would the Islanders get dinged 75% of the caphit because they paid 75% of his salary that year?

Fractional cap hits are based on the # of days on the regular season roster. So to answer your hypothetical question in this case the Islanders would get 0% of the cap hit, and the team Ladd was traded to would get 100%.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Fractional cap hits are based on the # of days on the regular season roster. So to answer your hypothetical question in this case the Islanders would get 0% of the cap hit, and the team Ladd was traded to would get 100%.

As an Islanders fan I am happy this is the case but I personally feel a team should be dinged for the amount of salary they paid that season(in this case 75%). It sort of creates a loophole that you might get out of a contract paying high bonuses. Using Ladd again as a case study the final 3 years of the deal have the 3M Bonus + 1M salary. Islanders might wiggle out of that deal by the start of the 3rd year when they pay that 3M bonus. That way the other team is only on the line for 9M in actual salary, 16.5M caphit

Johnnyc60

Saul Goodman
Apr 2, 2013
Sherbrooke
Payroll

I have a question about how is calculated the payroll for a team.

What happen if a team, for example the Canadiens send to the waivers a player under contract, example : David Desharnais, does it's 3.5M$ contract has to be added to the official payroll or only a fraction this amount ?

I know if he was buyout only 2/3 would have been counted, but when a player is waived what happen?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I have a question about how is calculated the payroll for a team.

What happen if a team, for example the Canadiens send to the waivers a player under contract, example : David Desharnais, does it's 3.5M$ contract has to be added to the official payroll or only a fraction this amount ?

I know if he was buyout only 2/3 would have been counted, but when a player is waived what happen?

In your example, if he was waived and cleared then demoted to AHL, $2.575m would be the NHL cap hit ($925k reduction).

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
Isn't there supposed to be a minimum payroll for an NHL franchise? I keep trying to google for it but only end up finding the CBA minimum salary for an individual.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Isn't there supposed to be a minimum payroll for an NHL franchise? I keep trying to google for it but only end up finding the CBA minimum salary for an individual.

You're looking for the "cap floor." It's $54MM this coming season.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
This is my first-ever visit to this thread, and as I jumped directly to page 189 of the concurrent CBA, I would like to find out the complete list of banned substances.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This is my first-ever visit to this thread, and as I jumped directly to page 189 of the concurrent CBA, I would like to find out the complete list of banned substances.

The banned substances list is not included in the CBA. The NHL and PA have a joint committee that among other things reviews the list annually and makes recommendations. The list is ultimately agreed upon by the NHL/PA in outside agreements that have not been published to my knowledge.

The CBA does indicate the WADA prohibited PED list will be used as a reference for deciding which to include in the NHL. However the league definitely does not include all of the WADA drugs, as evidenced by the Backstrom pseudoephedrine dispute at the 2014 Olympics.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I've been wondering, searching the CBA and hoping someone hear can answer the question for me.

If a player is bought out, can the ensuing cap hit be traded? For example, Detroit has David Weiss on the books for 5 more years, can they trade his cap hit similar to trading Datsyuk's?

In both cases, it seems like the intention is to penalize a team for signing a poor contract. It seems fair that they are treated similarly.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I've been wondering, searching the CBA and hoping someone hear can answer the question for me.

If a player is bought out, can the ensuing cap hit be traded? For example, Detroit has David Weiss on the books for 5 more years, can they trade his cap hit similar to trading Datsyuk's?

In both cases, it seems like the intention is to penalize a team for signing a poor contract. It seems fair that they are treated similarly.

No. Teams can only trade contracts or the rights to players on the team Reserve List.

A bought out player does not qualify under either of those criteria. That's also why Datsyuk waited to officially retire until after being traded.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
No. Teams can only trade contracts or the rights to players on the team Reserve List.

A bought out player does not qualify under either of those criteria. That's also why Datsyuk waited to officially retire until after being traded.

I hadn't known Datsyuk waited until after he was traded, thanks responding and answering my question.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Maybe one of the CBA Guru's can help out here.

IIRC in the current CBA one of the changes was regarding "defected" RFAs and if they went unsigned for 2 years they become UFAs. Is this correct? This came up on the Flames board when discussing Nichkushkin.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I believe teams hold "defected" player's rights until the would otherwise be eligible for UFA status (i.e., age 27, etc.).

(Perhaps you're thinking of unsigned draft pick who doesn't sign within two years?)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I believe teams hold "defected" player's rights until the would otherwise be eligible for UFA status (i.e., age 27, etc.).

(Perhaps you're thinking of unsigned draft pick who doesn't sign within two years?)
No, I am thinking about specifically about RFAs. I am certain it was new with this CBA

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Maybe one of the CBA Guru's can help out here.

IIRC in the current CBA one of the changes was regarding "defected" RFAs and if they went unsigned for 2 years they become UFAs. Is this correct? This came up on the Flames board when discussing Nichkushkin.

Nichushkin would not be considered a "defected" player if he signs with a KHL team since he is not under an NHL contract.

If he goes to the KHL and stays there he would be eligible to become a NHL UFA in the summer of 2022. Dallas would hold his RFA rights until then.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers have an issue right now and I wanted to know if anything is different under the new CBA.

Mark Alt hurt his shoulder last night and may miss months. This means the Flyers will have to carry his $625,000 cap hit until he is healthy, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I had never heard of SOIR before.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq

What is the season opening injured reserve (SOIR)?
If a player is injured during training-camp, they can be placed on season-opening injured reserve, to possibly obtain cap relief:

Full Cap Hit
Players who are on a one-way contract, or players on a two-way contract who accrued 50 or more NHL games in the previous season count fully against the cap hit. Teams can opt to place these players on LTIR to obtain cap-relief (LTIR FAQ).

Discounted Cap Hit
Players on a two-way contract, who accured 1-49 NHL games in the previous season, count against the teams cap hit; however, the reduced cap hit is calculated as follows:
Multiply the players NHL cap hit by the total accrued NHL days in the previous season, and divide by the total number of days in the previous season (Ex: 186 for 2014-15)

When a player is reactivated to the active roster, their cap hit reverts back to the full rate

Full cap relief
Players who did not play any NHL games in the previous season can be placed on SOIR do not count against their teams cap hit.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I had never heard of SOIR before.

The NHL/PA adopted the SOIR principles to calculate cap hits for non-full time players injured during training camp sometime during the previous 2005 CBA. Darren McCarty is one of the most public examples of it being implemented when he was injured during training camp. (2008 IIRC)

The SOIR agreements were then added to the most recent 2013 CBA. Possibly with some additional tweaks, since we don't know the full text of the earlier side agreement.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Flyers have an issue right now and I wanted to know if anything is different under the new CBA.

Mark Alt hurt his shoulder last night and may miss months. This means the Flyers will have to carry his $625,000 cap hit until he is healthy, correct?

Yes. But they can exceed the salary cap by $625k if he's on LTIR.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There is also Non-roster Injured Reserve too, IIRC

Yes, however players on Injured Non-Roster are paid their full salaries and count towards the cap. The only benefit gained is they don't count towards the 23-man roster limit.

Injured non-roster is only available for players who are injured while not on the Active Roster, usually meaning they are injured sometime during the offseason and fail their physical upon reporting to training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad