Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Entry Draft

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
HF just put out an article on 5 draft eligible players in the NCAA to watch. Quentin Shore sounds like an interesting late round pick.

Quentin Shore, C
Freshman, University of Denver

Quentin Shore isn’t the youngest of the four Shore brothers, but he’s the youngest (so far) that has donned the crimson and gold colors of the Pioneers. The Denver, CO native currently leads the team in rookie goal-scoring with seven and is second in points with 14. Shore has played in all 27 games so far and has spent much of the season centering Denver’s outstanding line that also features sophomores Larkin Jacobson and Matt Tabrum. One of Shore’s most memorable games came on Jan. 4th versus Cornell. In that contest, Shore netted a pair of goals, including the game-winner, en route to earning the first of his two WCHA Rookie of the Week honors on the season.

Quentin Shore’s style of play is similar to that of older brothers Drew and Nick. However, Quentin might be the best skater of the three. He skates with smooth, powerful strides, but could stand to develop more foot speed. Like his older brothers, Quentin Shore has size (6’1”. 185 lbs.), superb playmaking ability, a strong work ethic and is excellent on face-offs. He possesses terrific puck skills and is equally adept at both setting up and finishing plays. Shore has great net presence and is willing to pay a price in front of the net. He uses his body effectively in establishing position and that attribute will become more evident as he adds strength to his 6’1” frame.

One characteristic that scouts have been impressed with is Shore’s defensive side. As good as he is offensively, he is just as good defensively. Shore plays remarkably well in all three zones and is effective both on the power play and on the penalty kill. He’s a smart player that sees the ice really well. Although Shore’s reads on developing situations is very good, he will need to be quicker in reacting to them. And that should come with development and maturity.

I really hope DL draft this guy! :yo:

I think DL will pick a goalie early (2nd-4th round) this year!

Last edited:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I have seen him play a few times this season and he looks to be a very solid player so far. Lots of talk about where he will be drafted.

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
The goalie radar!

From the Pipeline show:

No question that with 8 of the top 10 picks going to defencemen, 2012 was the Year of the Blueliner for the NHL Draft. It's starting to look like the Class of 2013 has an abnormal amount of high-end netminders.

Previous years:

The notable NHL goalies from the 2011-12 season who were 1st or 2nd round picks:
Marc-Andre Fleury (PGH) - 1st overall 2003
Jimmy Howard (DET) - 64th overall 2003
Ilya Bryzgalov (ANH) - 44th overall in 2000
Kari Lehtonen (ATL) - 2nd overall in 2002
Martin Brodeur (NJ) - 20th overall in 1990
Roberto Luongo (NYI) - 4th overall in 1997
Corey Crawford (CHI) - 52nd overall in 2003
Cam Ward (CAR) - 25th overall in 2002
Ondrej Pavalec (ATL) - 41st overall in 2005
Carey Price (MTL) - 5th overall in 2005
Semyon Varlamov (WSH) - 23rd overall in 2006
Mathieu Garon (MTL) - 44th overall in 1996
Jose Theodore (MTL) - 44th overall in 1994
Corey Schneider (VAN) - 26th overall in 2004
Devan Dubnyk (EDM) - 14th overall in 2004
J.S. Gieguere (HFD) - 13th overall in 1995
Josh Harding (MIN) - 38th overall in 2002
Michal Neuvirth (WSH) - 34th overall in 2006
Martin Biron (BUF) - 16th overall in 1995
Tuuka Rask (TOR) - 21st overall in 2005
Jhonas Enroth (BUF) - 46th overall in 2006
Jonathan Bernier (LA) - 11th overall in 2006
Petr Budaj (COL) - 63rd overall in 2001

It's worth noting that 13 of the goalies listed above are still with the team that originally drafted them.

The top netminders this year:

Eric Comrie
Tri-City Americans (WHL)
6'1, 175 lbs
(He grew up in California)

GM Bob Tory of The Tri-City Americans:
"Unbelievable. He's a special goalie boy, we're very lucky. I was really happy for him at the Subway Series too, coming in cold like that is not easy. He's right in the same mix as Carey Price and Dan Blackburn - just a great work ethic with a real humble personality.

The amazing thing is, I get people who will call like the math tutor who doesn't even come to our games but will phone and tell us what a great kid he is. Down here it's not hockey central so they don't know who Eric Comrie is but I keep getting compliments about how nice of a kid he is. And it's genuine, that's the thing. All his teammates love him."

1. Do you try to model your style after a goaltender in the NHL?
"I really like how Price plays. He makes saves very smoothly and is very composed. I also have been watching a lot of European goaltenders. I like how a handful of them move fluently and are very active in the crease."

2. Why did you decide to choose the major junior route over the NCAA route?
"I weighed both options. I chose the WHL because I think it's closer to the NHL. There are more games and I think more skill. I also was drafted by a great organization. Tri-City has great coaching and great tradition."

3. You have been really hot this year. What is going right in your game?
"My team has played great in front of me. They're letting me see the puck and making my job a lot easier. Everything is just clicking right now."

4. What is it like having Hilary Duff as your sister-in-law?
"It's great. She is a fantastic person. The guys bug me a bit in the dressing room for having a celebrity sister-in-law, but it is all in fun."

5. What was it like growing up in California?
"Well I lived in Edmonton until I was nine. Then we moved to California. I thought it was great. You can't beat the weather and there is a lot to do down there."

LINK

Zach Fucale
Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
6'1, 176 lbs

Justin Goldman of The Goalie Guild (audio clip):
"He's so economical with his movements and so composed in the net. That's where you see the maturity in his game; He doesn't necessarily rely on his athleticism although he obviously has it. His game is more centered and focused on being in the right place at the right time, trying to absorb as many loose pucks as possible, cleaning up the loose change around his crease area and instilling a lot of confidence in the players around him and the defence in front of him."

Tristan Jarry
Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
6'2, 181 lbs

Tristan Jarry on TPS:
"What I think sets me apart is that, everyone works hard and everyone is a very good goalie, but it's the mental game. You have to stay positive, be confident. You have to know going into the game, have the mindset, that you're going to win."

I wanted to set my puckhandling style after Marty Turco but I like to be calm in the net like Marty Brodeur because I find that helps me keep my mind in the game."

Spencer Martin
Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)
6'2, 192 lbs

Spencer Martin on TPS:
"Almost every goalie is a butterfly goalie now, but for my size I like to move as quick as I can and I think the mental toughness is definitely the key when it comes to playing goalie now."

Eamon McAdam
Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL)
6'2, 190 lbs

Eamon McAdam on TPS:
"I guess I'm a hybrid is probably the best way to put it. I'm a pretty athletic type of a goalie, I like to get out and handle the puck, I like to make those crazy acrobatic saves but I also try and stay in control and not be all over the place. I'm not a Tim Thomas diving around, I'm more of a Ryan Miller."

Honorable mentions

Jonah Imoo - The Powell River Kings (BCHL) keeper doesn't yet have a NCAA commitment but after his Top Goalie performance at the 2012 WJAC you can bet he's on the radar for schools now.

Cal Petersen - Waterloo's other netminder, ranked as a 'C' goalie by NHL Central Scouting, is headed to Notre Dame. He's off to a 6-2 start this year for the Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL).

Evan Cowley - This year's Anthony Stolarz? That's what Justin Goldman from the Goalie Guild told us back in September about the Wichita Falls (NAHL) netminder. NHL Central Scouting has him pegged as a 'B' goalie although ISS doesn't have him in their top 10 yet.

LINK

Button's take on Fucale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAczdz3fZ4I

Last edited:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think DL will pick a goalie early (2nd-4th round) this year!

I agree.

I hope DL can trade up a bit into the lower end of the 1st and get Robert Hagg. I doubt it, we don't tend to pick many guys from Eurpoe, especially Sweden, but Hagg I think is going to be a very slick and physical defenseman who'll be a top pairing guy. He's quite underrated for this draft, though the WJC has changed that a fair bit.

As for the goalie, we've gone to the QMJHL for three of four goalies drafted under DL (Berube, Bernier and Gibson) while the other two goalies picked up by DL (Rowatt and Jones) came from the WHL, so odds are we'll go back to one of these leagues again. I don't see DL using a first rounder on a goalie though, so Furcale is likely out. Jarry could make sense, as could Comrie, but I'm not a fan of either personally.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
From what I saw of QH I would say he has really great hands and plays a grinders game. I didn't see anything exceptional about his game but he was solid. He is still developing both physically and as a player (he's around 5'9 and a buck 50). If he develops like his brothers he could become a good player with nice hands.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Maybe not so serious thought, but could Kings because of good experience with Kopi try with another Slovenian on following draft?

Luka Gracnar is GK, 19 years old, ranked on 5th place among international GK ready for next draft. He is already member of Slovenian national team (as third goalie at the moment), he made ex NHL GK Alex Auld benchwarmer in the richest club in EBEL league and is expected to be picked somewhere around 5 - 6 round.

To be more interesting, he is from the same villlage as Kopitar (Hrusica) and their house is next to house of Kopitar family. Father of Kopitar really like him (he is Slovenian national coach) and we know that he is also having small role in Kings organisation.

There is also one topic about Luka in prospect subforum:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1281141

And this is his profile:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=41381

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'd be fine with a goalie in the 3rd-mid rounds. Could see the Kings going with a dman first, maybe a winger, but I have a gut feeling they'll be emphasizing dmen in this years draft.

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
William Carrier

[url=http://bildr.no/view/1394489][/URL]

Kyle Woodlief, the chief scout and publisher of Red Line Report:
“He’s a good looking left winger with plenty of skills and he’s really improved his skating stride this year,” Woodlief said of Carrier.

Future Considerations on Carrier:

NAME: William Carrier
POSITION: Left Wing
BORN: December 20, 1994
SHOOTS: Left
HT: 6’-1” WT: 200 Lbs
2012-13 TEAM: Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)
SCOUTING REPORT: While he has some heavy boots, Carrier’s skating
has definitely improved from last season to this season but he still doesn’t have
that top-end speed. He is not easily knocked over, plays a power game and puts
a lot of pressure on defenders to match his drive and strength. Carrier’s very
strong on the puck in the offensive zone and dangerous coming off the wall. He
is also dangerous when he is streaking down the left side and cutting in, pro-
tecting the puck, on route to the crease or getting a shot off using the defender
as a screen. He regularly makes crisp passes but is more of a goal scorer than
playmaker. He is strong as a bull and was able to hold off any defenders that
attempted to knock him down. His efforts are pretty consistent from game-to-
game which is refreshing to see from a prospect his age. He does try to play a
full 200-foot game as his defensive anticipation is very good and he is able to
break up plays, however, his lack of speed does hold him back in this regard.
NOTES: Carrier jumped out to a very strong start to this season, being
named a QMJHL Telus star of the week already and was named as one of the
league’s forwards for the upcoming Canada/Russia Subway Super Series

Comparison: David Booth

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNxIjeHvroQ

Button's take on Carrier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXosq10lM4

Last edited:

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
Valentin Zykov

[url=http://bildr.no/view/1394533][/URL]

NAME: Valentin Zykov
POSITION: Right Wing
BORN: May 15, 1995
SHOOTS: Right
HT: 6’-0” WT: 207 Lbs

Comment From Marc
Valentin Zykov has been ripping up the Q in recent weeks, what do you see his offensive potential in the NHL being?

Craig Button: Valentin has been good throughout the season for a very good Baie Comeau team. He's a scorer with a very good shot but what separates him from others IMO is his hunger and determination to score. Excellent hands around the net & he recognizes scoring opportunities and with a good play making center, he will score. He played on the Russian team that won the Under '17 Tournament in Windsor, Ontario in January 2012. His team mates included Valeri Nichushkin and Nikita Zadorov.

Comparison: Michael Ryder

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGaDF4ZWPrc

Button's take on Zykov:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMGmqA2FrjM

Last edited:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Not sure how "local" he is...especially since he is playing the the OHL they must have deemed his "residence" not LA;)

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
What do guys think we can get for Bernier? Do you think Columbus would throw one of their 1st round picks to us for him?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
What do guys think we can get for Bernier? Do you think Columbus would throw one of their 1st round picks to us for him?

Considering where we are, I doubt we'd deal Bernier for draft picks. He seems like the type we'd deal to improve the roster now, especially since we are a cup contender.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena

I'm going to wager that Bernier will not be moved before the deadline. We just don't have the depth to get rid of him unless a BIG opportunity is there.

Can you imagine if we had "The Shore" line?

Nick Shore - LW Drew Shore - C Quentin Shore - RW

Maybe package Bernier to the Panthers for Drew Shore (I don't know, just playing around with the lines):help:

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
I'm going to wager that Bernier will not be moved before the deadline. We just don't have the depth to get rid of him unless a BIG opportunity is there.

Maybe package Bernier to the Panthers for Drew Shore (I don't know, just playing around with the lines):help:

Florida has their goalie of future in Markstrom.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

I think you're just trying to kill Bob with line. Its like the Richards-Richards-Richardson line from 2 summers ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad