Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Entry Draft [Part VII] Offense: "We Want More, We Want More." 11 Days Remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sakic, Roy and Co. are going to be painted into a corner as "liars" anyway by some people.

With my statement last night about it only meant to be in jest, I could see some really running with it and bringing it up a lot.

Sakic, if you recall, had stated that he believes that building a Winning Team starts from "the net out"...

For the people out there that are holding onto hope that Jones might still have the slightest possibility (and I'm beginning to lose faith in that idea myself), I offer you this.

They could still take Jones at #1, Joe's exact words were, "We're leaning towards one of the 3 forwards"

They could always say that after more "intense discussions" as a group that they circled back to Jones and made their final decision....unlikely? Absolutely it is, but hey, whatever works I guess.

I just don't want them to take Barkov at #1....but alas, if they do, they do.

Wouldn't that be something? For a while now there have been Jones Supporters and MacKinnon supporters and a small # of Drouin supporters, led by D2M...and the Avs go and draft Aleksandar Barkov

I say if it happens we all take flights to Helsinki and drink away our sorrows... or go to Sweden to join in the riots over a Finn being drafted #1.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I don't get the hypotheses that Sakic talking about not taking Jones 1st is some sort of sympathetic move to soften the blow for fans. That should be about the furthest thing from his mind, and would be a little worrisome if that's the case. Sure. we all hated how tight-lipped the Avs have been through the years, but to go to the other extreme? And for what? To bypass drama on draft day? That comes off as loony tunes.

Sakic is not talking to the fans. He's talking to the GMs.

It's business 101, managing expectations. Everyone had Jones going to Colorado, people were using the hometown card and you save yourself a potential backlash that would affect the $ and marketing end of things. You tell everybody Jones won't be picked. They didn't reveal ANYTHING except they don't have Jones top 3.

Talking to GMs? Would make sense if they used Mackinnon, instead of 3 forwards. So we have Jones 4th or worse, could have been a ploy to move down to 2-4th but that bluff doesn't make any sense if they want Jones.

Honestly think it was a were not drafting Jones, short and simple. Everything else will be behind closed doors this was just to save there ass/let the fans no, IMO anyways which isn't much :laugh:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Sakic, Roy and Co. are going to be painted into a corner as "liars" anyway by some people.

With my statement last night about it only meant to be in jest, I could see some really running with it and bringing it up a lot.

Sakic, if you recall, had stated that he believes that building a Winning Team starts from "the net out"...

For the people out there that are holding onto hope that Jones might still have the slightest possibility (and I'm beginning to lose faith in that idea myself), I offer you this.

They could still take Jones at #1, Joe's exact words were, "We're leaning towards one of the 3 forwards"

They could always say that after more "intense discussions" as a group that they circled back to Jones and made their final decision....unlikely? Absolutely it is, but hey, whatever works I guess.

Wouldn't that be something? For a while now there have been Jones Supporters and MacKinnon supporters and a small # of Drouin supporters, led by D2M...and the Avs go and draft Aleksandar Barkov

Hey Rock,

Didn't we have a bet over Jones going first overall?

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado

If that's the case, than Varly would have a target on his back. It's not like he's been a super stud or mister consistent or anything.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I know there has always been some debate leading up to a draft, but has there ever been a situation where the first overall could be any of four players? I just need to tune out for a couple weeks.

2011 was like that with Huberdeau, Landeskog, Larsson, and Nugent-Hopkins. And as far as the top 3 overall picks went, Couturier and Hamilton were in the mix.

Most did think Nugent-Hopkins would go 1st but it wasn't in stone.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Can't post the quote because I'm on my phone, but Tampa's head amateur scout responded to Sakic's quote by saying its smart to throw up some controversy and make people think a bit. He also said they're in a good spot and have no control but know they'll get a good player.

I think it will be hard to trade down because any team in the top 4 will be happy with who falls.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Assuming what Sakic said isn't a bluff and is true, I think we can safely pin down a Pracey/Avs tendency... they don't draft defensemen high (high meaning top ~5).

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Barkov and Landeskog on the same line

Raisins_Face.jpg

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
McKenzie's two thoughts are that either Sakic is trying to cushion the blow because a lot of people assume the Denver kid is going first overall but really the Avs don't have him in their top three. Or Sakic is just posturing and trying to get Florida or Tampa to move up. But he doesn't think Florida will trade up, they'll stay at #2 and pick whoever is available.

A few GMs were asked about Sakic's comments as well, they didn't have much to say.....

Mac-T: Sakic's comments will get a lot of attention and virtually everyone will be contacting the Avs about their intentions.

Nonis: Sakic seems like a very honest guy but you never know until the pick is made. The top 3 or 4 picks will all be good players.

Yzerman just said, "it sounds like they're exploring their options with the first pick."

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
McKenzie's two thoughts are that either Sakic is trying to cushion the blow because a lot of people assume the Denver kid is going first overall but really the Avs don't have him in their top three. Or Sakic is just posturing and trying to get Florida or Tampa to move up. But he doesn't think Florida will trade up, they'll stay at #2 and pick whoever is available.

A few GMs were asked about Sakic's comments as well, they didn't have much to say.....

Mac-T: Sakic's comments will get a lot of attention and virtually everyone will be contacting the Avs about their intentions.

Nonis: Sakic seems like a very honest guy but you never know until the pick is made. The top 3 or 4 picks will all be good players.

Yzerman just said, "it sounds like they're exploring their options with the first pick."

Where did you hear this from?

icesniper

Nov 16, 2010
Colorado
I can't pretend to know enough about Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, or any prospect. I just know I enjoy hockey and the Avs. With that said, I'm willing to trust Sakic and Roy in how the handle the draft. Time will tell if they made the right move.

I will say, that after watching videos of the players online Drouin does seem to have the "it" factor and was fun to watch.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
McKenzie's two thoughts are that either Sakic is trying to cushion the blow because a lot of people assume the Denver kid is going first overall but really the Avs don't have him in their top three.

This is my guess, just makes too much sense. 99% of mocks have us taking Jones, the media, our fanbase etc.

Sakic didn't do anything. Everybody eliminates players, every team has there top 3. Only news because Jones was suppose to be our guy and he isn't. We still know nothing, same as before just without Jones.

Smart way to handle things IMO. Impressive.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Craig Button: Doesn't believe it. Patrick Roy played games in the Q, is continuing to do so. Other NHL execs don't believe it either.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I think Sakic is trying to see what he can get for the first pick. That is why he is going public with what he is saying. If he can get a good asset to move down a couple of spots, he'll do it, but if not, I'm sure he's content to stay at #1 and take who Colorado has #1 on their board (presumably Mac).

I do not think he is messing around when it comes to him saying that he has the 3 forwards ahead of Jones, though. He was not ambiguous about this part at all. He left himself some wiggle room with the way he worded his statement, like anyone of any intelligence would, but to me it seems very likely that something soured Colorado on Jones. And realistically speaking, it makes him look disingenuous and/or indecisive if he does take Jones any higher than 4 at this point, with what he said. Being new to his position, I don't think Sakic will want to appear this way to other GMs.

I think Mac is their guy at #1, and if they can get a good trade to go down and take Barkov or Drouin, they will. But only if they can get good assets to move down.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Button said he has spoken to a number of people in the NHL today and none of them believe this.

According to him, this is all "smoke and mirrors" from Roy.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
I wonder how much of this is influenced by the fact that as an organization, we're rubbish at developing defensive defensemen. Who was the last non-offensive defenseman who came out of our system? Kurt Sauer? Before that you're looking at Nordiques territory unless I'm missing someone. I wonder if the Erik Johnson trade is going to be their M.O. going forward. The team is good at developing offensive defensemen and forwards, so we'll draft those and hope to just trade our excess for the defensemen that we need.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Everything that's happened the last few weeks kinda smells like Patrick Roy thinking he's smarter than everyone else.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He knows who publicly made the comments. He just said this is Roy playing games like he did in junior.

I know it was a joke. I honestly wouldn't takr anything button says seriously. Guy's a moron.

In other news james galdalfini died rip.

Also my friend just spolied season 6 for me in sopranos. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad