2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
This is from Mark Edwards in the thread on Button's mock draft (Flyers take Morin):

"As I mentioned in another thread, Craig and I sat together for quite a few games in Sochi. We always have fun talking about a few of the prospects because we see a some of them very differently. I'm not nearly as high on Morin as him and I have not spoken to a single scout who has Morin in that range. Conversely, Craig is not as high on Bowey as me.

As for Nurse, he has improved but I still have not spoken to a scout who sees him as a top 10. He is not a top 10 for me. I know a few guys are not fans at all and don't even see him as a first rounder. "Dumb" is the most common word used to describe him by the scouts who are not big fans. Note: I'm not saying that there are not some scouts who might like him as a top 10, just saying I haven't spoken to any who do.

A wide range of opinions on Many players in this years draft. It's going to be an interesting one to watch unfold."

Maybe Nurse's upside is Coburn:sarcasm:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1417749

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
This is from Mark Edwards in the thread on Button's mock draft (Flyers take Morin):

"As I mentioned in another thread, Craig and I sat together for quite a few games in Sochi. We always have fun talking about a few of the prospects because we see a some of them very differently. I'm not nearly as high on Morin as him and I have not spoken to a single scout who has Morin in that range. Conversely, Craig is not as high on Bowey as me.

As for Nurse, he has improved but I still have not spoken to a scout who sees him as a top 10. He is not a top 10 for me. I know a few guys are not fans at all and don't even see him as a first rounder. "Dumb" is the most common word used to describe him by the scouts who are not big fans. Note: I'm not saying that there are not some scouts who might like him as a top 10, just saying I haven't spoken to any who do.

A wide range of opinions on Many players in this years draft. It's going to be an interesting one to watch unfold."

Maybe Nurse's upside is Coburn:sarcasm:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1417749

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427

This would make me feel better if Nurse ends up being taken by Edmonton. The press would have a field day with this kid if he ends up being a bust and all the connections with McNabb.

So, IF Nichushkin, Lindholm, Monahan, and Shinkaruk are all taken in the top 10 and we are left with: Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock and Zadarov.... Who do we take?

The BPA is all over the place with the mock drafts. First glance I like Risto, but Zadarov has a huge gamble upside, then there is Nurse who has been top 5 in a lot of people's minds.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Interesting. I still like him more than Zadorov. He has higher offensive upside and projects to be a more well rounded player.

For me, in terms of defenseman, it goes

1. Jones
2. Nurse
3. Ristolainen
4. Pulock
5. Morrissey
6. Zadorov
7. Mueller
8. Theodore
9. Haag
10. Morin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This would make me feel better if Nurse ends up being taken by Edmonton. The press would have a field day with this kid if he ends up being a bust and all the connections with McNabb.

So, IF Nichushkin, Lindholm, Monahan, and Shinkaruk are all taken in the top 10 and we are left with: Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock and Zadarov.... Who do we take?

The BPA is all over the place with the mock drafts. First glance I like Risto, but Zadarov has a huge gamble upside, then there is Nurse who has been top 5 in a lot of people's minds.

I'm sorry, but why does that matter? Who cares who he's related too. A bust is a bust. Any kid in this draft could be bust, they're 18 year old kids.

Last edited:

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
I'm sorry, but why does that matter? Who cares who he's related too. A bust is a bust. Any kid in this draft could be bust, their 18 year old kids.

It's Philly press! Can't you see Tim P going on how Nurse is a bum just like his uncle McNabb blah blah blah.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's Philly press! Can't you see Tim P going on how Nurse is a bum just like his uncle McNabb blah blah blah.

Yeah I can but who cares is my point. If a kids talented and you think he'll be a good one, you draft him.

The media here is going to write dumb articles with or without Nurse playing here. It's not going to change. The best way to deal with it is pay no attention to those idiots.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If Nichushkin wasn't signed to the KHL for another year (or two, or whatever his contract status is) would he be playing on the NHL roster next season if drafted by the Flyers?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Just wondering : have you guys been watching all these first round players play at least a game or you're talking about what you heard about them?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Just wondering : have you guys been watching all these first round players play at least a game or you're talking about what you heard about them?

I've watched a lot of games this year (about 750 - 800 CHL games in total).

I think once the NHL has it's annual prospects combine, we'll get a better idea as to what the Flyers are thinking. I still can't believe Buttons the Clown has the Flyers taking Morin at 11th. Some of the scouts I talk to laugh at Button and they say it's those reasons as to why he isn't a GM anymore - his personal preference and bias for certain players gets in the way of him rating and evaluating players fairly.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I've watched a lot of games this year (about 750 - 800 CHL games in total).

I think once the NHL has it's annual prospects combine, we'll get a better idea as to what the Flyers are thinking. I still can't believe Buttons the Clown has the Flyers taking Morin at 11th. Some of the scouts I talk to laugh at Button and they say it's those reasons as to why he isn't a GM anymore - his personal preference and bias for certain players gets in the way of him rating and evaluating players fairly.

Thanks. I have complete faith in the Flyers when it comes to the draft especially in the 1st round.. They will get a very good player!

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

For me 99% from who I talked to and read about. The thing is most here are the same. It's a forum discussion boards and the Flyers are out of playoffs. Nothing else to talk about.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

I have watched the WHL this year. WJ's and other international tournaments as well. I haven't seen one game of the QMJHL. OHL just a couple of games.

I watched Pulock a lot in the WHL, that's why I like him above Zadorov. Zads is more of a project that might not work out. He hasn't shown his offensive upside that much yet, but Pulock has shown he can be a player. That slap shot(100MPH) would be a welcomed addition to our blue line in two years(he should play another in juniors)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The only thing that worries me is his skating. Almost all the reports I have seen has said it's maybe average. For a offensive defender I worry about that. Especially in the NHL where there are a lot of good skaters. It's easier to hide skating in juniors. That and defensive awareness which is average scares me.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
The only thing that worries me is his skating. Almost all the reports I have seen has said it's maybe average. For a offensive defender I worry about that. Especially in the NHL where there are a lot of good skaters. It's easier to hide skating in juniors. That and defensive awareness which is average scares me.

I'm warming a bit to Pulock, but those are basically my concerns.

On the other hand, he alone among the second-tier defenders has an asset/trait that would already be considered "elite" at the NHL level--that shot.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

These things can be improved. I think his skating is way over blown as well. He looked good out there when I watched him. Someone compared him to Shattenkirk yesterday, I didn't think that was a good comparison. He really didn't join the rush like Shattenkirk did/does and his slapper is better. He reminds me of a player like Suter, steady on the back end but racks up points with good outlet passes to hit streaking wingers(which I saw him do several times) and that huge bomb of a shot on the PP. It's incredibly accurate too. Gap control wasn't all that bad. He also is physical, which I love. Knows how to throw a clean open ice hit.

His defense wasn't horrible, but does need work. He was playing on a pretty poor team too. His skating can improve, but I don't think it is that big of a factor to hold him back from making an impact in the NHL. He is a calming force back there too. He is a team leader and captain of the team. Someone the Flyers seem to love(those characteristics). Character and physical lol. Give him a Flyers jersey now.

Get him working with a skating coach like Couts is doing and he is set.

Last edited:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Flyers 1st Round Selections by League, 1983-2002:
QMJHL: Couturier, Giroux, Ouellett, Gagne, Boivin,
OHL: Laughton, Downie, Carter, Richards, Williams, Ricci, Rumble, Huffman, Seabrooke
WHL: Sbisa*, Woywitka, Boucher, Bowen
Canada Juniors: Zubrus*
U.S./NCAA: JVR, Sittler,
Europe: Pitkanen, Forsberg
Russia:

If you look at the recent picks, we've show a clear bias toward the OHL and QMJHL. I don't think that is news to anyone here, but I was surprised that it was so lopsided--only one 1st from the WHL since 1995, and Sbisa had played overseas.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
These things can be improved. I think his skating is way over blown as well. He looked good out there when I watched him. Someone compared him to Shattenkirk yesterday, I didn't think that was a good comparison. He really didn't join the rush like Shattenkirk did/does and his slapper is better. He reminds me of a player like Suter, steady on the back end but racks up points with good outlet passes to hit streaking wingers(which I saw him do several times) and that huge bomb of a shot on the PP. It's incredibly accurate too. Gap control wasn't all that bad. He also is physical, which I love. Knows how to throw a clean open ice hit.

His defense wasn't horrible, but does need work. He was playing on a pretty poor team too. His skating can improve, but I don't think it is that big of a factor to hold him back from making an impact in the NHL. He is a calming force back there too. He is a team leader and captain of the team. Someone the Flyers seem to love(those characteristics). Character and physical lol. Give him a Flyers jersey now.

Get him working with a skating coach like Couts is doing and he is set.

Understandable. Everyone's got question marks, just who we think can overcome them. Im only going off of what scouts say. if he can improve it he would easily he worth the pick. the ony thing is if he doesnt I dont know how effective he would be in the NHL. I do like Pulock. I'm a Risto fan so I'm obviously hoping he's around when we pic, but wouldn't mind Pulock. I'd have him before Zadarov, Morrissey, and Muller (etc etc)

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
I'm warming a bit to Pulock, but those are basically my concerns.

On the other hand, he alone among the second-tier defenders has an asset/trait that would already be considered "elite" at the NHL level--that shot.

So Kent Huskins upside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad