News Article: 2013 NHL Draft Results: Top 10 Team Performances

Gary83*

I don't mind the criticism over Poirier but I just don't understand the Hunter love fest.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I don't mind the criticism over Poirier but I just don't understand the Hunter love fest.

I understand it because of my initial reaction and the reaction of the board when we picked Poirier (I purposely went to the thread to see how people felt) over Shinkaruk. It was like... a few pages of dissapointed Flames fans.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I don't know if "Team Performance" should be limited to drafting even if it was at the draft.

New Jersey who put on the draft announced a trade for a potential star goalie to replace arguably the best goalie in history at what everyone sees as less than market value based on the "Edmonton offer" They picked up a guy who quite a few people thought might slide into the first round at 42. To top it all off in the 7th round they had Marty draft his son who isn't a bad prospect by any means.

I'd give them a huge nod.

Jets I like up there as they took guys that had people double take for a second but both have huge potential compared to others still on the board and they'll be very happy with their 3 early picks.

Columbus gets 3 first round picks gets 2 solid players for their positions and then reaches a long way for Dano and ends up 4th on the list.

Calgary gets 3 first round picks including a top 6 Mohanan and a great value pick in Klimchuk and reaches for Poirier who was ranked higher than Dano is faster and doesn't appear to have any holes to his game other than starting the season slower than he finished ends up 10th (10B) on the list.

Yeah they got Heatherington late in the 2nd round great pick. We got Roy in the 5th...

Canucks at #2 grabbed 2 fallers that everyone had on their radar and opt'ed out of (Shinkaruk and Subban) they traded their starting goalie Cory to grab Horvat. But made a very solid pick in Cole Cassels so props to them for that; but #2 on the list... This is performance at the draft 1 pick that I would say added value to their pool; you've really got to feel like Hunter is last years Saad to justify that.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't know if "Team Performance" should be limited to drafting even if it was at the draft.

New Jersey who put on the draft announced a trade for a potential star goalie to replace arguably the best goalie in history at what everyone sees as less than market value based on the "Edmonton offer" They picked up a guy who quite a few people thought might slide into the first round at 42. To top it all off in the 7th round they had Marty draft his son who isn't a bad prospect by any means.

I'd give them a huge nod.

Jets I like up there as they took guys that had people double take for a second but both have huge potential compared to others still on the board and they'll be very happy with their 3 early picks.

Columbus gets 3 first round picks gets 2 solid players for their positions and then reaches a long way for Dano and ends up 4th on the list.

Calgary gets 3 first round picks including a top 6 Mohanan and a great value pick in Klimchuk and reaches for Poirier who was ranked higher than Dano is faster and doesn't appear to have any holes to his game other than starting the season slower than he finished ends up 10th (10B) on the list.

Yeah they got Heatherington late in the 2nd round great pick. We got Roy in the 5th...

Canucks at #2 grabbed 2 fallers that everyone had on their radar and opt'ed out of (Shinkaruk and Subban) they traded their starting goalie Cory to grab Horvat. But made a very solid pick in Cole Cassels so props to them for that; but #2 on the list... This is performance at the draft 1 pick that I would say added value to their pool; you've really got to feel like Hunter is last years Saad to justify that.

I think this was the guy everyone will be really happy we drafted in three years time. Roy has a lot of talent. Just hasn't put it all together yet.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
You know who Hunter Shinkaruk reminds me of? Angelo Esposito. A one dimensional offensive player whose offensive production declined in his draft year and ended up getting passed over by every team in the top-20.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Cannot agree less with this list.

Canucks made a terrible move at the draft, that they'll be kicking themselves in the ass for, for years to come. Horvat's potential doesn't come close to what Cory already is and can be. They also grabbed a guy who slipped big, big time. I think there's a reason for his drop; I think most Flames fans were upset we didn't grab him... but I think in the long run, we'll definitely be okay with the move.

- Buffalo, while I think they did great, I don't know if #1 is the right spot for them. They're first three picks are awesome, top 5 definitely... but unsure of 1.
- Montreal deserves a top 5 spot. They stole the best goalie prospect at the draft and two picks that'll really help their organization in the future.
- Colorado didn't do anything overly amazing outside of drafting their first overall. I liked them getting Westlund in the 7th; but I don't think that, that defines them being a top 5.
- At 8; Nashville... They got Seth at 4? Outside of that... I mean, okay, but top 10? meh?

To get to Calgary.
They got Roy at 5 and Rushan in the 7th. Both of them were projected to go much sooner on different projections. Poirier would have been the 28th pick... Had Montreal probably not snagged him a bit later in the draft.

Just a quick hitter? How come Calgary gets the thumbs down on the Poirier pick from this article, saying that it may haunt them because he was an early 2nd rather than late first... and Winnipeg gets the thumbs up grabbing the Calgary native in the early first, when he was suppose to be going in the late first? I really like this kid, but it's backwards reasoning like this that makes me gloss over these articles with a /shrug.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Canucks made a terrible move at the draft, that they'll be kicking themselves in the ass for, for years to come. Horvat's potential doesn't come close to what Cory already is and can be. They also grabbed a guy who slipped big, big time. I think there's a reason for his drop; I think most Flames fans were upset we didn't grab him... but I think in the long run, we'll definitely be okay with the move.

- Buffalo, while I think they did great, I don't know if #1 is the right spot for them. They're first three picks are awesome, top 5 definitely... but unsure of 1.
- Montreal deserves a top 5 spot. They stole the best goalie prospect at the draft and two picks that'll really help their organization in the future.
- Colorado didn't do anything overly amazing outside of drafting their first overall. I liked them getting Westlund in the 7th; but I don't think that, that defines them being a top 5.
- At 8; Nashville... They got Seth at 4? Outside of that... I mean, okay, but top 10? meh?

To get to Calgary.
They got Roy at 5 and Rushan in the 7th. Both of them were projected to go much sooner on different projections. Poirier would have been the 28th pick... Had Montreal probably not snagged him a bit later in the draft.

Just a quick hitter? How come Calgary gets the thumbs down on the Poirier pick from this article, saying that it may haunt them because he was an early 2nd rather than late first... and Winnipeg gets the thumbs up grabbing the Calgary native in the early first, when he was suppose to be going in the late first? I really like this kid, but it's backwards reasoning like this that makes me gloss over these articles with a /shrug.

Agree with everything, and I have to admit I was disappointed with not grabbing Shinkaruk at the time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agree with everything, and I have to admit I was disappointed with not grabbing Shinkaruk at the time.

I was too. Definitely, I've never lied about a reaction I've ever had about hockey. I thought it was a worse pick than the Jankowski one last year. However, when I settled down, got to check out some Emile highlights and what he could offer this team... I think I was more than okay with it.

It's very hard to find someone with speed to burn, soft hands and who likes to play physical... at the end of the day, he might be a guy that people are saying 'He was suppose to be a second rounder?!'... Well, at least Calgary fans will, because Calgary gets 0 love elsewhere lol.

Also have too look at what Calgary managed to do this draft. While I don't think Monahan is a true true first line center, he'll do, especially with someone mega skilled like JG on his wing... That's a major hole Calgary patched this year. Then you add in getting two more potential top six wingers, two very probable NHL calibre D-men in the 3rd and 5th... plus a Russian that has all kinds of question marks around him... but could easily play on the Russian WJC team... I mean, ****.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

To get to Calgary.

^This I haven't seen anyone give Winnipeg a hard time for taking Morrissey at 13 when most had him ranked around 28 but when we take Poirier at 22 when he was ranked around 32 suddenly people lose their minds. This is yet again an example at the fact that teams have very different lists than each other (in fact Button had Morissey at 23 and Poirier at 29 and he was the only one on TSN to see Poirier) so which one was the bigger reach?

Calgary gets a ton of **** because of the things Feaster says but the pick is not that bad at all.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't know why anybody gets emotional about an analysis that's silly and easy to write because nobody will care how wrong a guy is 5 years LATER. And the draft is dependent on the previous pick? So had Detroit, for example, picked Hunter and still the Flames picked Poirer, the Flames would be ranked differently? Their score is looked at in a vacuum? Im sure the Flames would've loved to draft McKinnon, Barkov and Jones with the 6th, 22nd and 28th picks, thereby getting a better "score" in someone's blog, but its a sequence of events.... Besides, had the draft gone as the writer mocked it, everybody is number 1 in the blog?

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
You know who Hunter Shinkaruk reminds me of? Angelo Esposito. A one dimensional offensive player whose offensive production declined in his draft year and ended up getting passed over by every team in the top-20.

Have you actually seen Hunter play?

One dimensional? Definitely not.

Offensive production declined? Only because he had lesser linemates and no Emerson Etem - he is dangerous almost every shift he's on the ice.

Esposito - only if he ends up being injury prone.

I think the only reason Hunter fell was because this was a heck of a draft and when it came do it the teams who didn't pick him simply liked some guys better. Once you got beyond the top 6 or so, there was a great varying of opinion in terms of where prospects will go.

Don't get me wrong, I like what the Flames have done at the draft table, as a whole, for the past two seasons. I'm hoping Poirier turns out as projected and that Shinkaruk doesn't make haunt them in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad