News Article: 2013 NHL Draft Results: Top 10 Team Performances (THW)

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I think overall a top 5 placement sounds about right. Still not sure how much I like Morrissey at 13, but he's not a bad pick by any means. I'm happy with what we came out of NJ with.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
In April he was consensus 14 by nhlnumbers, which combines the major lists (McKenzie, Button, HP, ISS, etc, etc) and weights them by historical accuracy.

That's really cool.

I'm really warming up to this Morrissey pick. It wasn't what I wanted at the time, but understanding the context that a) the "blue chip" forward that I wanted maybe wasn't available and b) in no way was Morrissey an inferior option compared to the other available defensemen makes me feel much better about the pick.

The rest of their draft was awesome. I was pleased as all hell about the Comrie and Petan picks, it sounds like Lodge and Kostalek were tremendous value picks, and there are two guys in Kichton and Lipon who could likely come in and contribute for St. John's right away.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
In April he was consensus 14 by nhlnumbers, which combines the major lists (McKenzie, Button, HP, ISS, etc, etc) and weights them by historical accuracy.

Yea I know what TSN said but Morrissey was just not a big reach or even a reach at 13.....who is clearly better than him that we passed over???? Wennberg, Zadorov, Pulock, Lazar, Mueller, Rychel??? Because that gets us out to 19 where Josh is ranked by blending services report and sorry but there is nobody in my mind in that group that I think is clearly better than Morrissey or that has a higher ceiling.

I was caught a bit off guard like other people but upon further review I believe we did just fine.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Just a comment on the article, I was surprised at the lack of mention of Nic Petan. What could be a steal and the 2nd leading scorer in both WHL Reg. Season and Playoffs. I know you can't mention them all, but that was a fantastic pickup.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's really cool.

I'm really warming up to this Morrissey pick. It wasn't what I wanted at the time, but understanding the context that a) the "blue chip" forward that I wanted maybe wasn't available and b) in no way was Morrissey an inferior option compared to the other available defensemen makes me feel much better about the pick.

The rest of their draft was awesome. I was pleased as all hell about the Comrie and Petan picks, it sounds like Lodge and Kostalek were tremendous value picks, and there are two guys in Kichton and Lipon who could likely come in and contribute for St. John's right away.

I wouldn't sell Copp short either Hank....not sure if you have seen his interview on Jets TV yet or if you have followed the back story a bit but I am now a very big fan of the pick.

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=241&id=261442&lang=en

I hope that is the link to the Copp interview.....ok I think it is the Morrissey interview but Copp is on the same page.....technology is not my friend LOL

Last edited:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I wouldn't sell Copp short either Hank....not sure if you have seen his interview on Jets TV yet or if you have followed the back story a bit but I am now a very big fan of the pick.

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=241&id=261442&lang=en

I hope that is the link to the Copp interview.....ok I think it is the Morrissey interview but Copp is on the same page.....technology is not my friend LOL

Here's the direct link to Copp's interview: http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=241&id=261730

:)

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Just a comment on the article, I was surprised at the lack of mention of Nic Petan. What could be a steal and the 2nd leading scorer in both WHL Reg. Season and Playoffs. I know you can't mention them all, but that was a fantastic pickup.

I found that surprising as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yea I know what TSN said but Morrissey was just not a big reach or even a reach at 13.....who is clearly better than him that we passed over???? Wennberg, Zadorov, Pulock, Lazar, Mueller, Rychel??? Because that gets us out to 19 where Josh is ranked by blending services report and sorry but there is nobody in my mind in that group that I think is clearly better than Morrissey or that has a higher ceiling.

I was caught a bit off guard like other people but upon further review I believe we did just fine.

I think it is understandable that a player like Morrissey would go a bit higher than ranked because in this draft he's a bit of a unique talent. There weren't really any other top-grade puck-moving defensemen with great mobility. Pulock might be the other, but he doesn't have nearly the mobility. Subban might be the other, but he is a lot smaller and not nearly as intense and physical.

The pick reminds me a bit of the year before when Pittsburgh traded for the #8 to pick Pouliot, who is another highly mobile puck-moving defenseman. I guess they are looking for another Letang type of player.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Yes, we are rated to have the third best draft. Vancouver is rated ahead of us because they got Shinkarkuk, "the biggest draft day steal." Our goal this off season should of been to find an answer for our second line, a true offensive scorer. That was our chance. I sense Frolik is Chevy's answer to the second line. I like Frolik and he is a big upgrade on Miettinen, Wellwood and Antropov but he is not a second line player in my opionion. I want to see Scheifele and O'Dell be given a chance to play with Kane as I see them as our only hope to maybe solve the second line. However, I do not see Noel give young players a chance. With the amount of players we have and will have under contract I can see Scheifele in St John's and lose O'Dell on waivers. We needed to address the second line through the draft, trade or free agency and I can see it is not going to be corrected. Surprise me on Friday Chevy.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yes, we are rated to have the third best draft. Vancouver is rated ahead of us because they got Shinkarkuk, "the biggest draft day steal." Our goal this off season should of been to find an answer for our second line, a true offensive scorer. That was our chance. I sense Frolik is Chevy's answer to the second line. I like Frolik and he is a big upgrade on Miettinen, Wellwood and Antropov but he is not a second line player in my opionion. I want to see Scheifele and O'Dell be given a chance to play with Kane as I see them as our only hope to maybe solve the second line. However, I do not see Noel give young players a chance. With the amount of players we have and will have under contract I can see Scheifele in St John's and lose O'Dell on waivers. We needed to address the second line through the draft, trade or free agency and I can see it is not going to be corrected. Surprise me on Friday Chevy.

There was no player who was going to slot in on the 2nd line RW this year available at 13 in this draft. People expecting immediate roster fixes who aren't drafting in the top 5 are completely deluding themselves.

Not sure if you watched this: http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=241&id=261746&lang=en&navid=DL|WPG|home but Chevy clearly states Frolik isn't the expected answer for that spot and he'll still keep looking.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
There was no player who was going to slot in on the 2nd line RW this year available at 13 in this draft. People expecting immediate roster fixes who aren't drafting in the top 5 are completely deluding themselves.

Not sure if you watched this: http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=241&id=261746&lang=en&navid=DL|WPG|home but Chevy clearly states Frolik isn't the expected answer for that spot and he'll still keep looking.

I agree Shinkaruk could not be expected to play this year but at least he is a good prospect to fill that role sometime soon. I think it is going to be tough to get a good free agent to come here and even tougher to acquire one by trade. I think he would be a great fit to play with Kane and we missed that opportunity.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I agree Shinkaruk could not be expected to play this year but at least he is a good prospect to fill that role sometime soon. I think it is going to be tough to get a good free agent to come here and even tougher to acquire one by trade. I think he would be a great fit to play with Kane and we missed that opportunity.

I guess you also didn't know about Petan and Lodge's good scoring campaigns? Petan is more of a center, but I think Lodge could also play RW in the future. He just needs to bulk up and stick his nose in the corners some more.

They definitely added depth at all areas, especially scoring and skill this year. I can't really buy into the argument that they didn't.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I guess you also didn't know about Petan and Lodge's good scoring campaigns? Petan is more of a center, but I think Lodge could also play RW in the future. He just needs to bulk up and stick his nose in the corners some more.

They definitely added depth at all areas, especially scoring and skill this year. I can't really buy into the argument that they didn't.

I really like the picks of Petan and Lodge. I was swearing at the TV when Chevy traded pick #61 with Lodge still on the board. I don't mind Morrisey either but I think Shinkaruk was the perfect pick for us to fill that second line need.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I really like the picks of Petan and Lodge. I was swearing at the TV when Chevy traded pick #61 with Lodge still on the board. I don't mind Morrisey either but I think Shinkaruk was the perfect pick for us to fill that second line need.

I don't see filling an immediate need as being worth more than picking the best player available. Especially when Chevy (who usually plays his cards ridiculously close to the vest) has openly campaigned for acquiring that RWer through other methods (Free Agency or Trade) even after the Frolik trade he states he's still looking.

Selecting Shinkaruk for those reasons would also mean we wouldn't see an immediate result for that position, which is exactly what we need.

Not to mention Shinkaruk's strongest positions are C and LW, not RW.

Plus everyone was always clamoring for a future defensive partner for Bogosian, which is also a need going forward. This pick actually addressed that.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Selecting Shinkaruk for those reasons would also mean we wouldn't see an immediate result for that position, which is exactly what we need.

That is your best point. Obviously, Chevy knows the whole picture. I just have doubts he is going to be able to attract a quality winger to play on the second line. He is going to have to overpay to attract someone to Winnipeg through free agency. We already have an excess of players signed/to be signed on our roster for this season. Maybe he is going to trade Buff? I just think the draft is the best way to fill that position.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

had i been watching the draft i would have been livid about us not taking shinkaruk.

seeing that he fell another 10 spots, makes me far more confident in our decision to pass him up, obviously something keeping GM's away.

Shinkaruk was literally the only one i wanted, all the other players i wanted were gone.

How much did you watch shinkaruk? My thinking that 12+ gm's like other players more, and not being an avid WHL watcher makes me think there was probably good reason we passed..

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

That is your best point. Obviously, Chevy knows the whole picture. I just have doubts he is going to be able to attract a quality winger to play on the second line. He is going to have to overpay to attract someone to Winnipeg through free agency. We already have an excess of players signed/to be signed on our roster for this season. Maybe he is going to trade Buff? I just think the draft is the best way to fill that position.

Long term I agree, draft is definitely the way to go, but I think Petan and Lodge (Lowry too possibly) can help alleviate those areas in the future.

I also agree there's no free agents I'm exactly enamored with and like I've stated before I think we most likely deal Burmistrov (not Byfuglien) or our 2014 second round draft pick in order to acquire a player along the lines of Drew Stafford or Kris Versteeg, who aren't elite, but can definitely fill the role. We could also look to deal our 2014 first if the right player/deal comes along.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Our biggest short term goal appears to be to find a right wing but i would debate you that our biggest short term need is to find a quality back up goalie who can play 35 games minimum, challenge Pavs, and post an above .914 save %. just like Philly needs a great defender......just like fill in the blank here for every teams need and yet almost everyone waits?

Last year our biggest hole was at centre ice and Chevy made a splash by winning the bidding war and getting the best UFA centre available and our board erupted in joy (except for literally one or two posters) when we landed Olli Jokinen and how did that go? Kane is a unique talent but not the easiest guy to play with either and it scares me when we go shopping for him but i seem to be alone in my fear. from what we have heard it seeems like Chevy has been working hard since this past season at the trade deadline to find a top 6 RW but getting deals done doesn't seem to be that easy for anyone. There was sooooooo much talk between GM's going into the draft and on draft day and only a few deals actually happened.

I am not a fan of this UFA crop at all and don't want to waste cash and term on a Ryder type who I think would be a terrible fit with Kane. I will wait and see how it goes but this Friday doesn't excite me at all and in some ways it annoys me because its a auction to the highest bidder of a bad crop IMHO

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00