2013 NHL "Around the League" Talk - Pt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think the Rangers are the team to beat. The best goalie in the league IMO, a great top 4 defense, and now another scoring threat plus the maturation of Kreider.

Like I said, Torts wants his players to first and foremost play trap defense and block shots. When the coach is so stubbornly entrenched in those beliefs, it won't matter who the forwards are.

I would not be surprised if Nash gets benched for refusing to block shots. Torts has done that to Gaborik already.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think the Rangers are the team to beat. The best goalie in the league IMO, a great top 4 defense, and now another scoring threat plus the maturation of Kreider.

That said, and maybe this is just my personal gut feeling, I'm less concerned about a playoff match-up against them than I am against the Flyers.

Actually, I've got the same feeling, but then I'd add a caution that you do hint: We didn't face the Rangers with Nash and Kreider. Let's see how that matchup looks.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Actually, I've got the same feeling, but then I'd add a caution that you do hint: We didn't face the Rangers with Nash and Kreider. Let's see how that matchup looks.

I don't see the Flyers being a contender this year. They'll give us problems for sure, but the matchup with the Rangers will be interesting. I don't think Torts will get the best out of Nash, and I don't think you can build a contender from free agency, but that's still alot of firepower playing in front of arguably the best D in the East and the best goaltender on the planet.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I don't know. I think they had one of those seasons last year where everything went right. You're right though. I'd take their defense over the Pens' in a heartbeat.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Both teams are contenders in the east... some of the rationalizing in this thread is a little nutty. They're both very good teams, period. Especially if the Flyers end up getting Luongo (wouldn't surprise me in the least). Might be good karma for the rest of us come playoff time (mind games) but regular season he'll be a beast, and as we've seen, playoff seeding matters.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Both teams are contenders in the east... some of the rationalizing in this thread is a little nutty. They're both very good teams, period. Especially if the Flyers end up getting Luongo (wouldn't surprise me in the least). Might be good karma for the rest of us come playoff time (mind games) but regular season he'll be a beast, and as we've seen, playoff seeding matters.

I'd say there is about a 1% chance they get Luongo.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
At least Knuble will go a regular season without scoring against the Pens. That'll be a nice change. He may not even get into double figures.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'd say there is about a 1% chance they get Luongo.

Because? Seems they'd have as good a shot as anyone. Worst case they use Bryzgo as his backup until this summer then buy him out. What does Snider care... pocket change.

Will some of these trades go off tomorrow? Do we know when that will open up?

They could go as soon as tonight once that memorandum is signed (the schedules will also go out once signed), but probably most of the GMs will get 'er done tomorrow or Monday. Then after that I think we'll see a random amount of trades every month all the way up to the deadline.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Because? Seems they'd have as good a shot as anyone. Worst case they use Bryzgo as his backup until this summer then buy him out. What does Snider care... pocket change.

I just don't see it happening. Not sure he'd want to waive his NTC for them for one thing. I doubt he wants to go somewhere where he'll actually be more scrutinized by his fans. I wouldn't be opposed to them gutting their team for another goalie though.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Apparently Detroit are going to go with Datsyuk Zetterberg and Brunner for their first line. Although no surprise, that feels like a damn good line.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Flyers re-acquired Brianobby Bouche from the Canes.

confirmed by McKenzie:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

CAR trades goalie Brian Boucher and prospect Mark Alt to PHI for minor leaguer Luke Pither.

url

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Gomez sent home from Habs camp.
Looks like Scott Gomez is getting Wade Redden Treatment in MTL. Stay home, get paid, count against cap and compliance buyout in summer.
Flashback to June 30, 2009: NYR trade Gomez, Tom Pyatt, Michael Busto to MTL for Chris Higgins, Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko.
what a joke of a trade. He should still be a damn Ranger instead of McDonagh

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Kevin Westgarth traded to Carolina for Anthony Stewart, 2013 4'th and 2014 6'th pick.

as per @aaronward_nhl and @TSNBobMcKenzie

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Wasn't Westgarth an important guy for the union during negotiations? I'm starting a conspiracy theory about those guys getting modern day Ted Lindsay treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad