Line Combos: 2013 Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Hopefully. There is plenty of season left and we aren't in a hole. It can only get better.

I'm hoping that Yeo realizes that he needs to split up the top line by game 10 and we aren't already in the basement by then.

The Tippett coached Coyotes will check the hell out of Parise-Koivu-Heatley, just like Anaheim did. The entire reason why that line was "invisible" is that the Ducks played that line hard. Last change? Yeah, Boudreau used it effectively. Tippett will too.

Ten games in, I hope that Yeo will realize that he really needs to not be a one line team, which is what the Wild currently are...

Shut down that top line... game over.

Which is why I advocate moving Heatley to the 2nd...

Parise - Koivu - ?
Heatley - ? - Bouchard
Clutterbuck - ? - ?
Powe - Konopka - ?

Drop the following into the question marks; Setoguchi, Granlund, Brodziak, Cullen, Mitchell.

Play to the strengths of the question marks;
-Setoguchi still has a wicked wrister, but no one to get him the puck.
- Granlund is being out muscled, but still a gifted play maker.
- Brodziak is a strong defensive center and isn't scared of going to the net.
- Cullen is primarily a defensive center but with greater N-S speed than Brodziak
- Mitchell is also faster, and I would argue, underutilized.

Parise-Koivu-Setoguchi. Parise and Koivu could play the cycle game with the option of Setoguchi coming in from the RW side with his wrister. Seto is way more accurate with that shot than Miettinen ever was, and Brunette-Koivu made Miettinen a “first line option†in a barren system.

Heatley-Brodziak-Bouchard. Bouchard setting up Heatley and Bouchard picking up the rebounds from Heatley’s shot would add a significant secondary threat. Brodziak as the more defensive minded player on that team who can go cause havoc in front of the net makes this set up even more appealing.

Clutterbuck – Cullen – Granlund. This gets Granlund off out of the Center responsibilities, while providing Cullen with the backup in the faceoff. Inverse of what Yeo has tried in the first few games. This would also open up some time and space for Granlund, as most teams would be worried about what Clutterbuck was up to rather than focusing on Granlund 100%.

Powe-Konopka-Mitchell. While I still think this is a waste of Mitchell’s talents, this is really the only place for him.

For the games which would warrant scratching Granlund, Mitchell slides up to the third line RW, and Kassian or another grinder slots into the fourth line RW.

Just letting my brain run while typing this out.

/shrug

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Fourth line = get pucks deep, give the other three lines a breather, don't give up goals

You can do those things with scorers as well as grinders. Just in a different way.

Now the "don't give up goals part"...

That's exactly the problem. And while you can do the other aspects of a 4th line with scorers, they've had like two days to prepare for it. That's why I see the other three lines playing way more than this one. This line is not trustworthy.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I'm hoping that Yeo realizes that he needs to split up the top line by game 10 and we aren't already in the basement by then.

The Tippett coached Coyotes will check the hell out of Parise-Koivu-Heatley, just like Anaheim did. The entire reason why that line was "invisible" is that the Ducks played that line hard. Last change? Yeah, Boudreau used it effectively. Tippett will too.

Ten games in, I hope that Yeo will realize that he really needs to not be a one line team, which is what the Wild currently are...

Shut down that top line... game over.

Which is why I advocate moving Heatley to the 2nd...

Parise - Koivu - ?
Heatley - ? - Bouchard
Clutterbuck - ? - ?
Powe - Konopka - ?

Drop the following into the question marks; Setoguchi, Granlund, Brodziak, Cullen, Mitchell.

Play to the strengths of the question marks;
-Setoguchi still has a wicked wrister, but no one to get him the puck.
- Granlund is being out muscled, but still a gifted play maker.
- Brodziak is a strong defensive center and isn't scared of going to the net.
- Cullen is primarily a defensive center but with greater N-S speed than Brodziak
- Mitchell is also faster, and I would argue, underutilized.

Parise-Koivu-Setoguchi. Parise and Koivu could play the cycle game with the option of Setoguchi coming in from the RW side with his wrister. Seto is way more accurate with that shot than Miettinen ever was, and Brunette-Koivu made Miettinen a “first line option†in a barren system.

Heatley-Brodziak-Bouchard. Bouchard setting up Heatley and Bouchard picking up the rebounds from Heatley’s shot would add a significant secondary threat. Brodziak as the more defensive minded player on that team who can go cause havoc in front of the net makes this set up even more appealing.

Clutterbuck – Cullen – Granlund. This gets Granlund off out of the Center responsibilities, while providing Cullen with the backup in the faceoff. Inverse of what Yeo has tried in the first few games. This would also open up some time and space for Granlund, as most teams would be worried about what Clutterbuck was up to rather than focusing on Granlund 100%.

Powe-Konopka-Mitchell. While I still think this is a waste of Mitchell’s talents, this is really the only place for him.

For the games which would warrant scratching Granlund, Mitchell slides up to the third line RW, and Kassian or another grinder slots into the fourth line RW.

Just letting my brain run while typing this out.

/shrug

I think your thoughts are pretty rational and there is justification for the lines you listed.

With that said, once the top line is broken up (seems inevitable), I would like to see Coyle there first. I am sure it is becoming a broken record at this point but his game is made to play with Parise and Koivu. He is better on the boards than Heatley, is a right handed shot, and is strong enough to play in front of the net.

If he does not get an opportunity, then I wouldn't mind seeing how Seto could do coming in for one-timers as Koivu and Parise set him up from down low.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle (Cycle - Crash Net)
Heatley - Cullen - Butch (Butch and Cullen to gain entry and look for Heater for shot)
Clutter - Brodziak - Seto (Clutter and Seto both good N/S speed. Forecheck and shoot)
Powe - Konopka - Mitchell

Could swap Coyle or Seto on top line. Seto has a little bit more speed and a better shot from beyong the circles. Coyle would be similar to what Nick Johnson was his first month with the Wild when he and Brodziak were very effective in the cycle and creating scoring chances.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Parise - Koivu - Coyle (Cycle - Crash Net)
Heatley - Cullen - Butch (Butch and Cullen to gain entry and look for Heater for shot)
Clutter - Brodziak - Seto (Clutter and Seto both good N/S speed. Forecheck and shoot)
Powe - Konopka - Mitchell

Awesome. I wanted to leave Granlund out and send him back to Houston. Seems you did. :laugh:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
If I were to think outside the box...

Pair up the wingers with complementary players, add in some centers:

Parise - Koivu - Setoguchi
Bouchard - Cullen - Heatley
Granlund - Brodziak - Coyle
Powe - Mitchell - Clutterbuck

So...not far off from Bozak.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
brodz hasn't been the same guy...anyone else thinks he looks gaunt and tired?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
brodz hasn't been the same guy...anyone else thinks he looks gaunt and tired?
Yeah he hasn't looked great this year. He's not getting to pucks or winning battles. Don't know what the deal is. I think part of it has to do with Clutterbuck. Those two are like oil and water and have never played great together.

I would like to see the Bouchard-Brodziak-Heatley line. Brodziak has played well with both of those guys.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I want to see Seto and Heater back together, centered by Granlund. I think that line would click.

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Seto-FBJ-Heater
PMB-Brodz-Clutter
Rupp-Konpka-Mitchell
Kassian

oh, I forgot Cullen. I have no idea where he fits. Wouldn't mind to see him go. If not, then he can take a 3/4th line wing spot.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I want to see Seto and Heater back together, centered by Granlund. I think that line would click.

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Seto-FBJ-Heater
PMB-Brodz-Clutter
Rupp-Konpka-Mitchell
Kassian

oh, I forgot Cullen. I have no idea where he fits. Wouldn't mind to see him go. If not, then he can take a 3/4th line wing spot.

Russo says Yeo's got Mitchell on the 3rd line right now for what it's worth.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
If I were to think outside the box...

Pair up the wingers with complementary players, add in some centers:

Parise - Koivu - Setoguchi
Bouchard - Cullen - Heatley
Granlund - Brodziak - Coyle
Powe - Mitchell - Clutterbuck

So...not far off from Bozak.

I would try this for couple games:

Parise- Koivu - Coyle/Granlund
Butch- Cullen- Heatley
Mitchell-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Rupp-Konopka-Kassian

RxDangles19

Jun 28, 2011
Duluth, MN

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Seto-FBJ-Heater
PMB-Brodz-Clutter
Rupp-Konpka-Mitchell
Kassian

This

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Seto-FBJ-Heater
PMB-Brodz-Clutter
Rupp-Konpka-Mitchell
Kassian

Pray tell, who wins battles down low and keeps the puck in the zone on this line? Sure, if they can set up play in the offensive zone, they might be effective, but the chances of that are slim right now.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Granlund better figure it out quickly and be the 2nd line centerman or Larsson has to be way better then even i'm expecting because I'm so freakin' tired of seeing Cullen getting top 6 minutes. Sorry Cully, you are still a good player, but you playing top 6 is a nasty reminder of our lack of true depth right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad