Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leugangen

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto
I remember Ovi saying that he would have been loved to have been drafted by the Leafs because of the culture here.

If Washington took a mil or two of his cap, I'd move Kessel + for him. Ovi is still one of the most fun players to watch, and a city like Toronto would reignite his passion in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
That would be a huge commitment to get ovechkin while moving kessel. I know why people like him and all but he has not shown the same fire he had few years back. I don't know what it is but till that's fixed Im willing to wait and see.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I remember Ovi saying that he would have been loved to have been drafted by the Leafs because of the culture here.

If Washington took a mil or two of his cap, I'd move Kessel + for him. Ovi is still one of the most fun players to watch, and a city like Toronto would reignite his passion in my opinion.

If it doesn't, and he becomes the highest paid 60pt man in the league here, he will be public enemy #1. It will get very, very ugly. Imagine if we gave futures for that kind of contract/scenario.

IMO you offer them 2 pieces they can use - top-6 forward, top-4 D. They relieve themselves of $50 million in salary commitment and move in a different direction.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
1st + Dumoulin would definitely give us something to think about IMO

Had Kulemin taken off offensively I would have thought he had net us a 1st. I think he can get us a 1st without an asset attached, but I think Brian Dumoulin + 2nd is a better package than a low 1st on its own.

Dumoulin is a 6'3 two-way defenseman who projects as a top 4 and is very close to being NHL ready.

2nd is a fairly high in a deep draft. Can be used to move up and nab an asset we like or build on more farm depth.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Had Kulemin taken off offensively I would have thought he had net us a 1st. I think he can get us a 1st without an asset attached, but I think Brian Dumoulin + 2nd is a better package than a low 1st on its own.

Dumoulin is a 6'3 two-way defenseman who projects as a top 4 and is very close to being NHL ready.

2nd is a fairly high in a deep draft. Can be used to move up and nab an asset we like or build on more farm depth.

He's got 6 points in 10 games so far. Playing with far less talented players then Malkin. Also a + player on some bad teams.

He's playing well and has chemistry with Grabo. I see no reason why we'd trade him for anything less than a 1st + Prospect.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Bob Stauffer Oilers radio analyst.

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer

Steckel is in and out of Leafs line-up. He is likely available and has been one of top face-off guys in NHL for years. A good stop-gap...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Pittsburgh 2nd. would be closer to a 3rd. than a 1st.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_one

6.* The Anaheim Ducks' first-round pick went to the Toronto Maple Leafs as the result of a trade on June 24, 2011 that sent Boston's first-round pick in 2011 (30th overall) and Toronto's second-round pick in 2011 (39th overall) to Anaheim in exchange for this pick.[19]

2nd. round picks don't give a tonne of movement in the 1st. round.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Steckel is in and out of Leafs line-up. He is likely available and has been one of top face-off guys in NHL for years. A good stop-gap...

Yes, Oilers just lost a couple centermen to injury. Sounded like Horcoff could be gone for some time with a smashed/crushed knuckle.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Yes, Oilers just lost a couple centermen to injury. Sounded like Horcoff could be gone for some time with a smashed/crushed knuckle.

The question is do we need him more as insurance because they would likely be offering a draft choice, maybe as high as a 2nd but most likely a 3rd?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

The thing you are missing is that there is no motivation on DNs part to trade Kuli unless it's a bit of overpayment.

Kuli plays RC hockey. Has show he can score at a 30g,60p level, very solid on the boards and defensively responsible.

His age and contract fits the team perfectly.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
The question is do we need him more as insurance because they would likely be offering a draft choice maybe as high as a 2nd but most likely a 3rd?

No way you get that for Steckel.

4th if you're lucky. If I'm nonis I try to get another 4th liner back... a guy who can draw in when needed similar to Steckel but on the wing.

Darcy Hordichuk for example.

G51 K81*

On the Rangers board, a lot of them are talking about using the amnesty on Brad Richards. Wonder what it would take to get him on the Leafs?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Bozak for MP?:naughty:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
The question is do we need him more as insurance because they would likely be offering a draft choice, maybe as high as a 2nd but most likely a 3rd?

You're looking at a 4th or a 5th. Just like the Leafs paid.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Ovi for Kessel? Come on, that would not make our team that much better. Caps struggle as much as we do to try and fit a goal scoring winger in to a system that is not all about going gung ho in the offensive zone.

I said right after the lockout that Pens with Crosby would have more success then Caps with Ovechkin simply because one is a goal scoring winger with a hot but funny temperament and the other one is a coachable center with down to earth attitude. And this was when people still debated who was the best of the two.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
On the Rangers board, a lot of them are talking about using the amnesty on Brad Richards. Wonder what it would take to get him on the Leafs?

Wait and sign him if they're going to buy him out. Now that retirement contracts are a thing of the past, I think he'd sign here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad