Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VI - Just trade O'Reilly Already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
thinking about ROR, what if we were to try to increase the package size to obtain duncan siemens?

he is the type of defender we dont have. mean, big, great defensive skills, but most importantly he is an elite skater for a big man. i thought he was slow for most of this year, but i must have seen some bad games or something because lately ive seen some better clips and talked to people that have told me im just flat out wrong lol

thoughts?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
He really needs a stable partner. I hope its either Gards or Rielly so we don't have to look too far but man it's killing to see him taking so much of the pressure in the defensive game.

I actually think Ranger is the most likely to be that guy. Ranger was the stabilizing force with Dan Boyle in Tampa.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
thinking about ROR, what if we were to try to increase the package size to obtain duncan siemens?

he is the type of defender we dont have. mean, big, great defensive skills, but most importantly he is an elite skater for a big man. i thought he was slow for most of this year, but i must have seen some bad games or something because lately ive seen some better clips and talked to people that have told me im just flat out wrong lol

thoughts?

I really don't think the Leafs have the right pieces to get O'Reilly and Siemens.

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
I really don't think the Leafs have the right pieces to get O'Reilly and Siemens.

That's just a ridiculous statement. The leafs are not willing to part with the necessary pieces to get both of them. Do you honestly think a package of a combination of Reilly, Gardiner, Kadri, and Frattin doesn't get both those guys? Package any two of the first three together and the leafs get completely fleeced in that trade.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Take it for what it is worth to you as per usual, but JM Liles has apparently been gathering some interest.

The Leafs are certainly open to moving him, but want to ensure that if/when they need a PMD in the line up, that Gardiner will be here to stay and they can comfortably move JM Liles, or that Carl Gunnarsson will be healthy enough to close out the season. The defensive core is a bit of a log jam at this point, as they would like to call Gardiner up, but he'll be subject to waivers after 3 games or so. This would mean we would have to see an effective defender for us this season sit in the press box (Gunnar, Kostka, Franson) in favour of Gardiner, who hasn't earned his spot this season.

Some teams that apparently have or may kick some tires (on JM Liles) are Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton and Minnesota. These teams have also been in the building looking at other players of ours (Franson/Gunnarsson), but it seems as if Randy has grown confident in his current core and has really enjoyed watching Cody Franson take a step forward.

All have been linked to Toronto as of late, but now that Toronto has opened a bit of a point gap on the 9th placed team, and have nearly half the season under their belt, we may see Nonis willing to make moves that see's this team make a push.

I think we'll see another week go by without any movement, but once this team his the 24-28 game mark, and increasing health of Frattin, Lupul and Scrivens, we may see the trade talks heat up with the likes of JM Liles and Macarthurs name being the focal points.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Great news.

Some here would like to have you believe that Liles is worthless :speechles

I wouldn't say he's worthless.

But at this point, I wouldn't be sure that we would get our value of a 2nd rounder back for him.

He's got some question marks surrounding him, but a healty and effective Liles would be worth the contract he has signed and could certainly return at least a 2nd.

He's a fluid skater, with a good outlet pass and can run a PP when he's got his head in the game and thinking it well. He also does a good job getting in the passing lanes on the PK and doesn't mind blocking shots.

He's a nice piece when he's physically healthy and thinking the game well.

But he's hit a road block, and it could just be a classic case of needing a change of scenery to get past that.

Because of that, we'll see some teams start focusing in on him for depth purposing.

But with that depth word, comes our very own dilemma.

In this shortened season, where injuries are frequest, would it be worth hanging on to JM Liles for a playoff run?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
But with that depth word, comes our very own dilemma.

In this shortened season, where injuries are frequest, would it be worth hanging on to JM Liles for a playoff run?

No, with the depth word comes the problem of the "immovable object."

If teams consider him a depth D-man, they will not trade for him considering he comes with a $3.85M/4 yr contract.

He needs a top 4 role, not a depth role.

Keeping JML for a playoff run is extremely short-sighted. His ~$4M salary will be much more useful in the coming years OFF the books.

Not to mention if we do deal Liles we still have Gardiner and (gasp) Komisarek as the #7/8 d guys right now. Keep Liles for depth purposes is assanine.

thepatient

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If we move a denfenseman it has to be for depth up front. I'd like to bring in a winger that can play a shut down role. It should also be someone who fits the age group. I am not too sure who is available but I'd like them to line up with Grabo and Kulemin

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin
____ - Grabo - Kulemin
Komarov - McClement - Orr/McClaren

This gives our lineup solid depth and our 4th line would be able to take a regular shift.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
That's just a ridiculous statement. The leafs are not willing to part with the necessary pieces to get both of them. Do you honestly think a package of a combination of Reilly, Gardiner, Kadri, and Frattin doesn't get both those guys? Package any two of the first three together and the leafs get completely fleeced in that trade.

Reilly would be of great interest to the Avs. Gardiner has some value, but I'm not sure he's that much better than what the Avs currently have. Kadri and Frattin don't fill any holes that the Avs have.

There would be plenty of teams that would have interest in O'Reilly and Siemens that would be able to offer packages much more tailored to the Avs needs.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
No, with the depth word comes the problem of the "immovable object."

If teams consider him a depth D-man, they will not trade for him considering he comes with a $3.85M/4 yr contract.

He needs a top 4 role, not a depth role.

Keeping JML for a playoff run is extremely short-sighted. His ~$4M salary will be much more useful in the coming years OFF the books.

Not to mention if we do deal Liles we still have Gardiner and (gasp) Komisarek as the #7/8 d guys right now. Keep Liles for depth purposes is assanine.

I wouldn't call it the "immovable object" case or assanine at all.

Liles has been around the league long enough for other GMs to be aware of what he brings to the table.

Just because he's buried here or not being used in a Carlyle system, doesn't mean he wouldn't have a Top 4 role on another playoff contending team.

My point is, we dont need to move Liles and having us sit him in the press box isn't going to destroy his value for other GM's to the point where he is "immovable".

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
If we move a denfenseman it has to be for depth up front. I'd like to bring in a winger that can play a shut down role. It should also be someone who fits the age group. I am not too sure who is available but I'd like them to line up with Grabo and Kulemin

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin
____ - Grabo - Kulemin
Komarov - McClement - Orr/McClaren

This gives our lineup solid depth and our 4th line would be able to take a regular shift.

Clarke MacArthur might be ok in that role. He also has shown chemistry with Grabbo and Kulemin in the past.

Seriously, why waste assets for a guy who might be marginally better than Clarke? If he's a young guy, with a lot of upside, sure... but problem is that player will cost a lot in trade.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Clarke MacArthur might be ok in that role. He also has shown chemistry with Grabbo and Kulemin in the past.

Seriously, why waste assets for a guy who might be marginally better than Clarke? If he's a young guy, with a lot of upside, sure... but problem is that player will cost a lot in trade.

Agreed.

Why count Clarke Macarthur out just because he doesnt "shut" lines down.

That line is only 2 seasons removed from putting up big numbers and seeing great chemistry together.

I agree that Clarke would be the odd man out if they were looking to upgrade that position, but I dont see the need to exclude him unless you're getting a significant upgrade in return that see's other people get pushed down the line up.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Thanks for the update Chuck. Detroit screams "Liles" to me. They're badly missing the puck moving aspect of their game without Lidstrom, and he'd instantly put some much needed skill on their back end.

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
Reilly would be of great interest to the Avs. Gardiner has some value, but I'm not sure he's that much better than what the Avs currently have. Kadri and Frattin don't fill any holes that the Avs have.

There would be plenty of teams that would have interest in O'Reilly and Siemens that would be able to offer packages much more tailored to the Avs needs.

Then you know nothing about Gardiner... he would instantly become the best defenceman on the Av's. 'Some Value', lol- he is, without a doubt, one of the most coveted young defencemen in the NHL. He was far and away the best rookie defenceman last season and is entirely more valuable than Siemens. Kadri is the same age as O'reilly... he doesn't want 5 million and is 24th in the NHL with 17pts in 20 games and is a +7. If you think frattin and kadri don't fill any holes for one of the worst teams in the NHL you are mistaken.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Thanks a lot for the update Chuck. Glad to hear Franson is liked by Carlyle too. Franson has really grown on me this season.

SteveV*

The only caveat, this year teams now the cap is going down, many will be in big trouble and this makes people like Liles a bit unattractive. I'm not for one moment suggesting we can't move him- he's a proven commodity and his cap hit isn't gigantic- just the circumstances this year might mean we need to wait right til the trade deadline when people are desperate to get a fair price.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
A change of scenery could do a world of good for him. Maybe he would come cheap too. :P

Fire Liles over there for him. Think he plays centre. So maybe something in a bigger package that includes grabovski. Kadri has overshadowed him on the 2nd line, and he's just not a checking line player.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Fire Liles over there for him. Think he plays centre. So maybe something in a bigger package that includes grabovski. Kadri has overshadowed him on the 2nd line, and he's just not a checking line player.

I think Columbus maybe has a bit of an internal cap.

But

Grabovski ($5.5 Million)
Liles ($3.875 Million)
Maybe Retain some salary?

for

Dubinskey ($4.2 Million)
Prospect/Pick/Player? Idk what would fit here.

Leafs would likely have to take back some salary as well.

Kyle Doobas*

I think Columbus maybe has a bit of an internal cap.

But

Grabovski ($5.5 Million)
Liles ($3.875 Million)
Maybe Retain some salary?

for

Dubinskey ($4.2 Million)
Prospect/Pick/Player? Idk what would fit here.
Horrible for us

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Horrible for us

Obviously the prospect/pick/player wouldn't be just a throw in. It would have to be something of value. If Grabovski had a more cap friendly contract, I wouldn't deal him, but after this year he still has 4 more years at $5.5 Million. I don't think he deserves to garner such a contract. I'd rather have a player like Getzlaf signed at $7.5 Million than Grabo at $5.5.

And I think Dubinskey is a better player than he is showing this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad