Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
8 more years at 9.5, that seems like a very big gamble that I'm not sure how many teams would be willing to take, If Washington was even inclined to move him.

I'm not sure he can regain his early career form. When he came into the league, he looked dangerous every shift he was on the ice. In the two games against us this season, apart from a shift here and there and his Jason Blake-like lapping of the net he's been barely noticeable.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
YES!!!!

Lets spend 1/6th of our cap on him. We really don't have enough top 6 wingers as it is now! Maybe if we add Reilly on top of it we could have Green too!

I wonder if some of you are actually Leaf fans or just trolling the boards

I know that you're being sarcastic but we really do need another top 6 winger. Who's our #6 right now? MacA? Kulie? Fratts? Won't cut it if you want to go deep bud.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
It's an interesting proposition, and OV has always shown strong signs for wanting to play in Toronto. Although, I think Kessel for OV is more of a fair trade. Given the circumstances. Maybe the Leafs throw in a guy like Komisarek or someone else to force Washington to eat their salaries.

With that said, he needs a change of scenery, without a doubt. But if he can't score, like Kessel right now(who will break out of his slump), he's not worth that kind of big contract.

Like Deebo said, that's is a big investment and a huge gamble.

Although, the realist in me doesn't see this trade happening, unless Kessel says he wants out. Which I don't think happens unless the Leafs get rid of Bozak first.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
I don't think you have to offer anything more then Phil Kessel. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. We're taking on the bigger contract and for more years.

Personally i would welcome the move. Kessel is too one dimensional and IF ovechkin could rejuvenate his career and play like he did back in 03/04/05, then he is a clear upgrade to Kessel. That is a big IF though.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
image.png

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I don't think you have to offer anything more then Phil Kessel. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. We're taking on the bigger contract and for more years.

Personally i would welcome the move. Kessel is too one dimensional and IF ovechkin could rejuvenate his career and play like he did back in 03/04/05, then he is a clear upgrade to Kessel. That is a big IF though.

I agree. I certainly wouldn't throw in Gardiner as a sweetener.

I might be willing to move draft positions as a condition to the trade, however. Depending on the conditions of course. Or trade some lesser prospects like Blacker, D'Amigo or someone like that.

Morlesio14*

How about Phil kessel + + for the first overall pick. Mackinnon. Sign only perry. Have room to sign a goalie or Dman

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If you're interested in NHL ready D, how about Dumoulin? He'd be on alot of NHL rosters right now. With Despres, Bortuzzo and Engelland, we won't need his services in the near future.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'd give serious consideration to a straight up Ovie for Kessel swap. Not sure if I'd do it or not, it would probably come down to talking with Alex to see if his heart would be in TO or not? My buddy and I had this discussion during last night's game...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
After watching both play the last couple weeks it would be Ovechkin + for Kessel.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
It's an interesting proposition, and OV has always shown strong signs for wanting to play in Toronto. Although, I think Kessel for OV is more of a fair trade. Given the circumstances. Maybe the Leafs throw in a guy like Komisarek or someone else to force Washington to eat their salaries.

With that said, he needs a change of scenery, without a doubt. But if he can't score, like Kessel right now(who will break out of his slump), he's not worth that kind of big contract.

Like Deebo said, that's is a big investment and a huge gamble.

Although, the realist in me doesn't see this trade happening, unless Kessel says he wants out. Which I don't think happens unless the Leafs get rid of Bozak first.

ove is bettrer than kessel and kessel will have to give a hometown discount to stay in toronto ......no way IMO MSLE gives kessel a raise .....i know burke gave him what he wanted ,but in a cap world ove has proven he can be a top player in the nhl .....kessel seems happy just to be in the NHL
ID TAKE OVIE IN A HEARTBEAT

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'd rather develop an elite center, not just accept the next mediocre center on the market.

I'd like to see them make the playoffs this year, but I wouldn't want them to set the goal of just making the playoffs.

I do understand your point BUT

There is going to have to be a middle period in all this.

Teams just don't go from being a bottom feeder to cup contender in the span of a season or 2.

There is going to be some middle of the road (aka, just make the POs) in there somewhere.

My gut tells me this is going to be a big UFA market.

With the new CBA and rules, no one really knows what the new "bars" are, they all have to be reset.

For example Parise will pocket 80m in the first 8 years of his contract, thats a "bar" of 10m per. IIRC Suter the same.

Weber 92m over first 8 . thats 11.5m per.

What "bar" can the likes of Perry/Getz set?

I see folks listing things like 7m.- 7.5m per, thats a very serious reset of the "bar" no?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
YES!!!!

Lets spend 1/6th of our cap on him. We really don't have enough top 6 wingers as it is now! Maybe if we add Reilly on top of it we could have Green too!

I wonder if some of you are actually Leaf fans or just trolling the boards

Green and Ovechkin are terrible. I wouldn't touch either guy with a 10 ft. pole at the moment. Ovechkin tries to do it all himself, doesn't move his feet when the puck isn't on his stick and his contract is a hindrance. He's a shadow of his former self

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Pittsburgh may be looking to get a winger to play with Malkin and it was reported last year they may have offered a 1st rounder for Kulemin.

I'm wondering if they may do a Brandon Sutter for Kulemin deal and though I would hate losing Kulemin, Sutter is a 6'.3" center with some finish and is only 23.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit130205.html

The Penguins had two of their top pro scouts -- Andre Savard and Don Waddell -- attend last night's Leafs home loss to Carolina, adding to speculation that Pittsburgh could once again inquire about Kulemin's availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad