2013 Goals by Line

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Someone posted something similar in the playoffs board so it got me thinking to do this for the Coyotes season. You may disagree with me on some of the lines and our 3rd/4th was a carousel (though Gordon-Klinkhammer-Moss was kind of a mainstay by the end of the season) so I merged them. Sullivan and Lombardi are missing from the list as well.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the list I made:

3cORz.png

Last edited:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
On a related note, I read somewhere that Vrbata's GPG is the tenth highest in the entire league, even beating out notable goal-scorers like Kovy.

This graph does show us how much we rely on our defense to produce for us, and how Yandle turned it around the second half of the season.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Would have shown it even more if I'd included assists. OEL only had 3 goals but he had 21 assists.

OEL hit an inordinate amount of posts/crossbars this season. Hopefully next season the pendulum turns the other way and he scores like 15-20 goals, lol.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Let's not forget Mike Smith for the Vezina while we're at it. Dave Tippett for the Jack Adams.

And most importantly... Phoenix Coyotes for the Stanley Cup!

A man can dream...

KG

Sep 23, 2010
You forgot Hanzal for Selke, everyone always forgetting my boy!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
On a related note, I read somewhere that Vrbata's GPG is the tenth highest in the entire league, even beating out notable goal-scorers like Kovy.

You're right. From the recent TSN story "Off-Season Game Plan: Coyotes":

"He doesn't get the kind of pub that he deserves for his production but, with 47 goals in 111 games over the past two seasons, Radim Vrbata ranks 11th in the league with 0.42 goals per game, falling between Corey Perry and Logan Couture. He's one of the few bona fide scoring threats for the Coyotes, so that brings a certain amount of pressure too."

Fourth Liner

May 31, 2013
Yandle...

...is the best OFD in the league.

As bold as this may sound (I'm sure some Coyotes fans will agree tho), let me explain myself:

I have been watching as much NHL teams as I can these last 3 years (I could say that I watched them all for a good part this year) and I can safely assume that the best offensive defenseman in the league is Keith Yandle. Not Karlsson or Letang, but Mr. Yandle.

Some might say that he would fit better in a winger position, I don't disagree with that statement. He's certainly not as rounded as Letang or Karlsson especially because of how many turnover he causes but if we talk strictly about offensive creativity and impact, he's the best. He's playing with sub-par playmakers (and goalscorers, except Vrbata) and STILL can put up a lot of points and even finish first in that category for his team (!!). I imagine Yandle would have a ton more points if he played for a high-end offensive team. I think his style doesn't fit the Coyotes that much but he's still an essential player because of how impactful he his offensively for that team.

I am not one too fond of stats, but the fact that he's able to finish first on the team twice (?) is quite impressive. But I mostly base my opinion by having watched most defensemen. It's the position I played all my life and that I can judge the best. Still, it's only MY opinion.

I don't understand everytime I read about trade speculations involving Yandle. He's the best offensive player on a Coyotes team that struggles offensively. It would be a mistake to trade him in my opinion, especially since he seems to be a great leader in addition to his high-end offensive skills.

This is not something I would post on the general forums because I feel like I would get flamed quite hard by a few eastern biased fans that most probably don't watch Coyotes game because of their "boring" style of play. I personally enjoy watching the Coyotes very much.

So yeah, discuss, flame... do as you will.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Aside from those annoying comments, that was a good stat-laden overview.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
I think the only reason Yandle is tossed around as a trade prospect is because we have a surplus of NHL ready defensemen including OEL on the left side already. This surplus combined with the glaring lack of forward scoring especially at the center position has lead some to suggest trading him to strengthen our offense while avoiding compromising our defense.

Instead what we are going to see is some combination of guys like Summers or others walk and not get anything in return. And we will still have a weak offense.

Nobody wants to give Yandle away or move him just to move him. Those who talk of trading him for the most part are only interested in bringing back a lot of value.

I'd only want to trade him in some kind of package for John Tavares or Eric Staal, but that is clearly not going to happen.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
And by those line by line numbers it looks like we have 2 fourth lines and one of the weaker second lines. Its really frustrating to see our budget restrictions and know that even one more good forward would suddenly give us a good second line and a third line instead 2 fourth lines.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Would have shown it even more if I'd included assists. OEL only had 3 goals but he had 21 assists.
Feel like this is pretty common among 24min defensemen. Most rushes require a good breakout pass, and cycling the puck in the offensive zone for any length if time often requires an outlet to the point to relieve pressure and create space for the wingers to work.

Mentally adjusting these stats to 82 games is taking some work, but the 2nd line looks painful however you slice it. Need upgrades this year ... looking at you, Boedker!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I think the only reason Yandle is tossed around as a trade prospect is because we have a surplus of NHL ready defensemen including OEL on the left side already. This surplus combined with the glaring lack of forward scoring especially at the center position has lead some to suggest trading him to strengthen our offense while avoiding compromising our defense.

Instead what we are going to see is some combination of guys like Summers or others walk and not get anything in return. And we will still have a weak offense.

Nobody wants to give Yandle away or move him just to move him. Those who talk of trading him for the most part are only interested in bringing back a lot of value.

I'd only want to trade him in some kind of package for John Tavares or Eric Staal, but that is clearly not going to happen.

It's not just that, but his cap hit as well. Most people, myself included, while we don't undervalue what Yandle brings to this team, are just of the opinion that the money we have wrapped up in him could be better spent on forwards considering our blue line would still be more than fine without him. That writes "trade bait" all over Keith Yandle.

On the other hand, all things considered, unless we retain all/most of our defensemen other than him this off season, that's not necessarily the case anymore, so whether trading him for top six forward talent or not is a good idea or not, still remains to be seen.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

As bold as this may sound (I'm sure some Coyotes fans will agree tho), let me explain myself:

I have been watching as much NHL teams as I can these last 3 years (I could say that I watched them all for a good part this year) and I can safely assume that the best offensive defenseman in the league is Keith Yandle. Not Karlsson or Letang, but Mr. Yandle.

Some might say that he would fit better in a winger position, I don't disagree with that statement. He's certainly not as rounded as Letang or Karlsson especially because of how many turnover he causes but if we talk strictly about offensive creativity and impact, he's the best. He's playing with sub-par playmakers (and goalscorers, except Vrbata) and STILL can put up a lot of points and even finish first in that category for his team (!!). I imagine Yandle would have a ton more points if he played for a high-end offensive team. I think his style doesn't fit the Coyotes that much but he's still an essential player because of how impactful he his offensively for that team.

I am not one too fond of stats, but the fact that he's able to finish first on the team twice (?) is quite impressive. But I mostly base my opinion by having watched most defensemen. It's the position I played all my life and that I can judge the best. Still, it's only MY opinion.

I don't understand everytime I read about trade speculations involving Yandle. He's the best offensive player on a Coyotes team that struggles offensively. It would be a mistake to trade him in my opinion, especially since he seems to be a great leader in addition to his high-end offensive skills.

This is not something I would post on the general forums because I feel like I would get flamed quite hard by a few eastern biased fans that most probably don't watch Coyotes game because of their "boring" style of play. I personally enjoy watching the Coyotes very much.

If Yandle played for an original 6 team he'd probably be on a Wheaties box by now!

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Do we anticipate OEL ever registering the 40-60 point seasons Yandle has produced?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Do we anticipate OEL ever registering the 40-60 point seasons Yandle has produced?

He put in a 40 pt pace season on one good foot, with a terrible PP and anemic offense. I think he'll be fine. I'd be more worried about losing all those even strength points Yandle creates.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I agree with your comments. I think the only way Yandle gets traded is if we get a true #1C for him. I don't see that happening. I think we trade some of our depth in D, like Gormley, Runblad, Z, Stone, Schlemko, some combination for a top 6 forward or two, likely wingers is what we would get. There are plenty of teams that need D men. I think our biggest potential improvement on offense will come from OEL, Hanzel(his stats were up when not injured), a healthy Verby, and Bods. Internal improvement is our best chance unless we trade for some scoring help, which I think DM will, this summer...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad