2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I am now convinced 2nd overall will get us Jones. Calgary will pick Nurse with the #1.

The problem is this. The team finishing 30th is going to lose the lottery 75% of the time. That makes finishing with the 2nd pick even longer odds than the 1st overall imo as we have somewhere between a 6-18% chance of being awarded that outright, whereas getting number 2 would require us to finish with the second worst record AND have the worst team actually win the lottery.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
I agree, it will be interesting to see. After tonight, they are currently projecting for 6th overall. 5th (The Brooklynders) are less than half a point away. So to correct myself, their range is probably 5th to 14th, or thereabouts. Of course a couple more losses and ya never know... With more games played than anybody else this season, every loss we take hurts our chances of making the playoffs more and more.

Proj226_zpsfe01c194.jpg

EDIT: I added a column for win differential that shows you how many wins away from the Flyers that other teams are pacing... As you can see, the Islanders are less than 1/4 of a win behind us, but there is a wide separation between them and the bottom 4. Additionally, Winnipeg and Colorado are only pacing for 1 win more than us. Tight bunch between those four teams could easily cause the Flyers to swing from 5th to 8th any given day.

EDIT 2: If the paces hold true, for the Flyers to break into the top 3 to have a shot at Jones, MacKinnon or Drouin, they'd have to finish out the season no better than 8-17-2. I don't think that's happening.

What ever happened to this guy and his win/lose chart?

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
I really hope we can snag one more 1st this year, and hopefully one that is top15

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
And how will they obtain that 1st rd pick from a non-playoff team, which constitutes the first 14 picks.

I assume you would make a trade with a team on the playoff bubble and have them miss. I just don't see us having the type of player available that teams would risk that over.

Maybe a team like Columbus or the Islanders thinks they are so close that its worth the financial benefit to take a risk like that, but I just don't see us being the type of team that could take advantage of that opportunity.

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
if you finish 2nd worst in the standings, the worst you can move down is 1 spot right?

top 3 pick guaranteed. i'll gladly take that with the big 3 of this draft available.

potsiev2

Jul 4, 2011
Delaware
if they get the 1st pick its jones... i'm all in on this draft though... id package the schenns and try for the 2nd pick to go after drouin and id be willining to package up couturier to grab nurse... go after bernier with simmonds as the centerpiece ...proper rebuild mode

Reduxs

Jun 25, 2012
Lakeland, FL
if they get the 1st pick its jones... i'm all in on this draft though... id package the schenns and try for the 2nd pick to go after drouin and id be willining to package up couturier to grab nurse... go after bernier with simmonds as the centerpiece ...proper rebuild mode

Couturier for a guy who won't play in the NHL for at least 3 years? Two former #5 overall picks who play well considering their age for Drouin? :shakehead

potsiev2

Jul 4, 2011
Delaware
yes and yes... so we suck for 2014 and 2015... thats two more young studs to add to the rebuild... tired of the patch jobs

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
yes and yes... so we suck for 2014 and 2015... thats two more young studs to add to the rebuild... tired of the patch jobs

Might as well trade Giroux instead of the Schenns and Couturier. Would suck in 2014 and 2015 but you could get a better package and when the draft picks are ready to contribute in the NHL, your core won't be in their late 20s, early 30s.

But going after draft picks, however awesome and studly as they might turn out to be doesn't guarentee a successful rebuild. Just ask Edmonton.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
I would trade Couts in a package for another top 3
Pick

If we could walk away with

Jones/Mac-Drouin

Or

Mac and Drouin

Oh my

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Trading your three youngest and highest potential players who are currently in the NHL is 100% not a "proper rebuild."

Brozgalov

May 11, 2010
Bucks County, PA
With the trading of Richards and Carter our fanbase has somehow decided that all problems can be solved by trading away players that don't need to be traded...

Let Couturier and the Schenns play for gods sake! Top 5 draft pick, id like Jones or Nurse as a Dman would be nice obviously.. I dont see us getting #1 overall unless its a lottery win. We aren't the worst in the league even with our D out.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I would trade Couts in a package for another top 3
Pick

If we could walk away with

Jones/Mac-Drouin

Or

Mac and Drouin

Oh my

Or we could walk away with...

Couturier + MacKinnon

or

Couturier + Drouin

or

Couturier + Jones

.....................all that without losing Couturier and other assets for absolutely no reason....

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
With the trading of Richards and Carter our fanbase has somehow decided that all problems can be solved by trading away players that don't need to be traded...

Let Couturier and the Schenns play for gods sake! Top 5 draft pick, id like Jones or Nurse as a Dman would be nice obviously.. I dont see us getting #1 overall unless its a lottery win. We aren't the worst in the league even with our D out.

I'm just as intrigued with the possibility of landing MacKinnon or Drouin and then using one of B. Schenn or S. Couturier in a package for a potential #1 type guy further along in their developement.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I'm just as intrigued with the possibility of landing MacKinnon or Drouin and then using one of B. Schenn or S. Couturier in a package for a potential #1 type guy further along in their developement.

As am I, but it's all dependent on who that "potential #1" is and whether we have a deal lined up before Draft day or not.

In terms of raw value, I have MacKinnon = Jones > Drouin (incredibly slightly). If we can get Jones, it makes sense given the need, but if we miss Jones and land MacKinnon, I still do cartwheels. If 1-2-3 held up as we are now, it likely goes MacKinnon - Jones - Drouin (Flyers), which is fine by me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad