2013 CHL Mastercard Memorial Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Figured you guys probably don't get to see Halifax play, so here's some of the players to keep an eye on for the Mooseheads:

Drouin, Mackinnon, Fucale obviously, not much more to say about them.

Stefan Fournier - Playoff beast. Co-captain led the Q with 16 goals in 17 playoff games. Check out this video of him pummeling a Baie-Comeau player, then giving MacKinnon a big hug afterwards, before leaving the ice to a standing ovation(skip ahead 45 seconds):

Marty Frk - Still takes dumb penalties sometimes, but he's built for playoff hockey. 13 playoff goals.
Konrad Abeltshauser - Playing the best hockey of his career right now. Overage giant scoring over PPG from the blueline. Has 7 goals in these playoffs after 7 goals all regular season. Name is fun to say.
Stephen Macauley - Two-way forward playing in his third straight Memorial Cup. Experience shows.
Trey Lewis - Co-captain, heart and soul guy who plays much bigger than his actual size.
Ryan Falkenham - Eligible for the 2014 NHL draft, leadership and defensive skills are uncanny for a 17 year old forward.
Mac Weegar - Two-way blueliner hasn't matched regular season production, but he's a smart two-way guy and a good bet to be drafted this year.
Matt Murphy - Another blueline with a good chance to be drafted this year, unspectacular, but solid play. Sometimes goes unnoticed for good reason.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Figured you guys probably don't get to see Halifax play, so here's some of the players to keep an eye on for the Mooseheads:

Drouin, Mackinnon, Fucale obviously, not much more to say about them.

Stefan Fournier - Playoff beast. Co-captain led the Q with 16 goals in 17 playoff games.

Marty Frk - Still takes dumb penalties sometimes, but he's built for playoff hockey. 13 playoff goals.
Konrad Abeltshauser - Playing the best hockey of his career right now. Overage giant scoring over PPG from the blueline. Has 7 goals in these playoffs after 7 goals all regular season. Name is fun to say.
Stephen Macauley - Two-way forward playing in his third straight Memorial Cup. Experience shows.
Trey Lewis - Co-captain, heart and soul guy who plays much bigger than his actual size.
Ryan Falkenham - Eligible for the 2014 NHL draft, leadership and defensive skills are uncanny for a 17 year old forward.
Mac Weegar - Two-way blueliner hasn't matched regular season production, but he's a smart two-way guy and a good bet to be drafted this year.
Matt Murphy - Another blueline with a good chance to be drafted this year, unspectacular, but solid play. Sometimes goes unnoticed for good reason.

Love the first 4 guys but I have some more to add for the others:

Frk-you are right about the dumb penalties (guy has thin skin) but one hell of a shot
Abeltshauser-eats lots of minuets but isn't super solid defensively although i wouldnt go as far as to call him a liability
Macauley-cant complain, solid 2 ways and tons of experience
Lewis- this guy makes me laugh. physical with lots of heart but he just cant skate, wouldnt surprise me to see him get burned with speed on several occasions
Falkenham- good player with his best years ahead of him, I don't see him getting much ice in a close game though, maybe in future years
Weegar-Personally, I think he is the best D on the moose, although that doesn't exactly mean well for the strength of their defensive core (they are not on the same level of skill and depth as portland and london-if london makes it)
Murphy- great skater and big body, he would be a top 3 round pick this year if it wasn't for the fact that all of his turnovers seem to turn into goals against. he is not a guy i would want on the ice in a close game

Last edited:

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Any Portland fans care to talk about their depth guys? I have only seen one of their games all year and know little about them.

I know the big three (Rattie, Leipsic and Petan) I also know that your D core is unreal and will probably be the strongest in the tournament (although if London makes it that could be debated)

Tell me about the goalie situation and the role players?

Oct 15, 2008
Any Portland fans care to talk about their depth guys? I have only seen one of their games all year and know little about them.

I know the big three (Rattie, Leipsic and Petan) I also know that your D core is unreal and will probably be the strongest in the tournament (although if London makes it that could be debated)

Tell me about the goalie situation and the role players?

You could try, but you would lose. Portlands top four are all big and mobile. Jones/Wotherspoon could be an nhl pairing right now. Pouliot could play in the nhl right now too. Im sure at least Jones and Pouliot will be nhl regulars next season, or at least they should be. I wouldnt be surprised to see Wotherspoon get some games too. Those guys were dominant.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
You could try, but you would lose. Portlands top four are all big and mobile. Jones/Wotherspoon could be an nhl pairing right now. Pouliot could play in the nhl right now too. Im sure at least Jones and Pouliot will be nhl regulars next season, or at least they should be. I wouldnt be surprised to see Wotherspoon get some games too. Those guys were dominant.

Never said I would win, but the argument could be made. Harrington was Canada's best defensemen at he WJ (better than Wotherspoon and Pouliot). Mattaa was a first rounder last year that looks nhl ready and has probably surpassed Harrington as London's top D. As for depth, the overager Hughes is a great shutdown guy who recently signed an nhl deal and the youngsters Mermis and Zadorov will probably be picked in 2/3 and 1st rounds respectively.

London does lack a super elite guy like Jones but the depth and skill is there to have a decent discussion about which core is stronger

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I'd say go Halifax. Anyone but Portland. :P

Good game so far. Nicholls looks hot. Recent BIG hit by Domi! Showing some of his Dad in him.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
London squeaks out with the 3-2 win in Saskatoon VS. Saskatoon in Game 1 of the Memorial Cup Tournament. London goes to 1-0-0 and Saskatoon falls to 0-1-0. Halifax VS. Portland tomorrow, should be good.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Good start grabbing the opening night W.

Big game tonight and really looking forward to it as a hockey fan.

Knights get a tough back to back Mon/Tues thatll set up the semis, (maybe a tie break) and the team that gets the bye.

Stolarz got a chance to get eased back in, as he didnt face a ton of quality chances. Londons top 4 were good and Bo was, well Bo. Doing all the little things right.

Knights looked to be the quicker, more skilled team. Not sure how much the layoff effected that, but Toon will have to be better or itll be 3 and done

PP looked OK but has to finish a little more. Makarov was solid during PKs thou.

Knights goalie coach worked with Makarov over the summer.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Wow, this is terrible. I guess the Q is an Easy league and Halifax is good enough to play in the QMJHL but not WHL. C'mon Halifax, don't lose....

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
5-3 Halifax. WOOO! Carruth looked like he was just closing his eyes, clinching, and hoping Mackinnon didn't score. Go Halifax!

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Seemed like Sportsnet is really trying to sell MacKinnon over Jones in this last push before the draft. Talked on and on about the play where MacKinnon went around Jones but didn't mention how in the period before that he tried the same thing and Jones stopped him. (just one example) I dunno, maybe I just saw it differently...just seemed like the Sportsnet panel was riding MacKinnon real hard tonight. Even before he got the Hatty.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Seemed like Sportsnet is really trying to sell MacKinnon over Jones in this last push before the draft. Talked on and on about the play where MacKinnon went around Jones but didn't mention how in the period before that he tried the same thing and Jones stopped him. (just one example) I dunno, maybe I just saw it differently...just seemed like the Sportsnet panel was riding MacKinnon real hard tonight. Even before he got the Hatty.

He played well before the hatty. The assist on the 1st goal was good. Played a good first period and then went ballistic in the 2nd. Although, 2 goals are on Portland's goalie....stinkers. But, a sports network giving their best marketing pitch for a possible Mem Cup final and a ratings and sponsorship bonanza? Imagine that.... do people really have to micro-analyze everything?

And for the record, I have Mackinnon number 1 in the draft. It hasn't changed in 3 years.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Agreed. He played over his head against the Oil Kings. He was Portland's weakness in three straight playoff runs and they were only able to gloss over his shortcomings once despite having awesome teams three years in a row.

Only in one game did he truly look good against the Oil Kings in the playoffs. The Winterhawk's team just needs him to stop all 7 of those weak goals he let in against Halifax and Portland will win. It reminds me of Osgood on the Red Wings during the 90s-2000s, stop the easy shots and we will win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad