Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pittsburgh Pirates

coach Bob Pulford

Oren Frood - Jude Drouin - Tommy Williams
Tord Lundstrom - Andy McDonald - Glenn Brydson
Brent Ashton - Mike Sillinger - Jason Blake
Ken Smith - Jarret Stoll - Tom Fitzgerald (A)
Mats Ahlberg, George Allen, J.P. Dumont

Dave Lewis (C) - Toni Lydman
Joni Pitkanen - Sylvain Lefebvre (A)
Tom Reid - Frank Mathers
Filip Kuba

Urpo Ylonen
Andy Aitkenhead

VS.

Boston AA Unicorns

coaches Vladimir Ruzicka & Ike Hildebrand

Jorgen Pettersson - Raimo Helminen (C) - Nathan Horton
Tom McCarthy - Jim Harrison - Jim Lorentz
Pascal Dupuis - Jim McFadden - Martin Erat
Antti Laaksonen - Antoine Vermette (A) - Larry Regan
Yury Krylov, Edmond Bouchard

Lalli Partinen (A) - Arnold Kadlec
Timo Jutila - Abbie Newell
Bobby Genge - Ken Klee
Paul Laus

Jorma Valtonen
Petr Briza

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Just what you were hoping for right?

One thing that I do like is that our starting goalies were contemporaries in the same league/national team. Should make for a good comparison.

bio links:
Coach Bob Pulford

Oren Frood - Jude Drouin - Tommy Williams
Tord Lundstrom - Andy McDonald - Glenn Brydson
Brent Ashton - Mike Sillinger - Jason Blake
Ken Smith - Jarret Stoll - Tom Fitzgerald (A)
Extra: Mats Ahlberg, J.P. Dumont, George Allen (call also fill on defense)

Dave Lewis (C) - Toni Lydman
Joni Pitkanen - Sylvain Lefebvre (A)
Tom Reid - Frank Mathers
Extra: Filip Kuba

Urpo Ylonen
Andy Aitkenhead

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Valtonen
WC AST: 2nd (1971), 3rd (1972)
1x WC Best Goalie (1972)

Ylonen
WC AST: 2nd (1967), 2nd (1968), 3rd (1970)
1x WC Best Goalie (1970)
1x Izvestia Tournament Best Goaltender (1968)

The voting amounts for the WC All-Star teams are pretty small differences some years so the extra 2nd team for Ylonen makes it look less close than it is. Ylonen does seem to have the advantage though including his Izvestia All-Star spot.
----------------------------------

Valtonen
1x Finnish Player of the Year (1972)
3x Finnish League AST (1971, 1972, 1980)
4x Finnish League Best Goalie (1971, 1972, 1979, 1980)
1x Lynces Academica Goalie Award (1980)

Ylonen
3x Finnish Player of the Year (1967, 1968, 1970)
6x Finnish League AST (1967-1970, 1976, 1977)
3x Finnish League Best Goalie (1967, 1968, 1970)
1x Lynces Academica Goalie Award (1976)

Valtonen has one extra Best Goalie award, but that's his only advantage. This award was renamed the Urpo Ylonen Trophy in 1978 FWIW. Ylonen has an edge in the all-star awards, and his POTY awards give him a solid advantage over Valtonen.

Hall of Fame
Ylonen was inducted only a year ahead of Valtonen for the Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame
Ylonen was a member of the inaugral class for the IIHF Hall of Fame (the only FInn), and Valtonen was inducted two years later

Not much to pick at with the single year difference in the Finnish HHOF, but I think it's significant the IIHF inducted Ylonen in their inaugural class as the only Finnish player.

Finnish All-Time Team
Sanf said:
Kaikkien aikojen leijonajoukkue book (2010) had coaches poll. Every NT coach from Bubnik (66-69) till Jalonen (till 2012) gived their vote. Starting lineup based on those votes was Ylönen Marjamäki-Numminen Kurri-Koivu-Selänne.

I think this is the most direct comparison. The coaches of Finland's national teams picked an all-time team and Ylonen got the nod in net.

That's everything I can find on these guys and it seems fair to say that Ylonen was the higher regarded goalie.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Pulford, McDonald, Ashton, Blake, and the whole fourth line really stand out to me for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's forward corps keeps up with Pittsburgh's in a lot of ways, most notably their excellent first line. However, no one is jumping out at me as a significant advantage over his Pittsburgh counterpart.

on D, Boston appears to be a mess. Kadlec can handle this level. Can the rest? We have four unknowns and a "never been drafted but was probably close a handful of times" in ken Klee. Pittsburgh's defense is scary for this level. If you ask me, they made all the right picks. Rob even let guys like Mathers and Pitkanen fall to just the right place and then some.

In net, I think Valtonen and Ylonen are more or less equal. In fact, I've flip flopped on these two a couple of times. You guys should sell us on your goalies here. If there's a major edge for Boston it could be an "out" for them to steal this series.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Pulford, McDonald, Ashton, Blake, and the whole fourth line really stand out to me for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's forward corps keeps up with Pittsburgh's in a lot of ways, most notably their excellent first line. However, no one is jumping out at me as a significant advantage over his Pittsburgh counterpart.

on D, Boston appears to be a mess. Kadlec can handle this level. Can the rest? We have four unknowns and a "never been drafted but was probably close a handful of times" in ken Klee. Pittsburgh's defense is scary for this level. If you ask me, they made all the right picks. Rob even let guys like Mathers and Pitkanen fall to just the right place and then some.

In net, I think Valtonen and Ylonen are more or less equal. In fact, I've flip flopped on these two a couple of times. You guys should sell us on your goalies here. If there's a major edge for Boston it could be an "out" for them to steal this series.

Seriously?

Got 2 Euros with excellent resumes….
- a bruising Finnish HoFer with a nasty rep
- an IIHF & Finnish HoFer who captained his Finnish WC teams 5 times for a Gold, 2 silvers and a 3 time WC All-Star / a 5 time SM-Liiga all-star and a best defenseman trophy / 2x most points by a defenseman in the SEL

2 early North Americans with very solid reps:
- an in demand mighty mite from the WCHL:
"Abbie Newell is a forgotten defenceman from the 1920s. Never a star player, Newell was nevertheless an important contributor to major-league teams for a number of years.

An examination of his Point Allocation record reveals a solid career, producing some offensive value as well as defensive. He was a journeyman, only twice playing for the same team two seasons consecutively, and this might be a reason that he is not better-known today. He's not easily associated with a particular team, and was not a superstar, but was always in demand when a team was in need of a blue liner."
- a big galoot who partnered with Lester Patrick from the early days of the PCHA who could bang and score.

Really? A mess? At this level?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
- what does being a finnish HHOFer mean? In the grand scheme of things. I mean, how many players are Finnish HHOFers? How many are still unselected? What made your guy stand out among the others still left? Nonetheless, a guy who got into 46 international games for Finland in the 1960s is not going to scare anyone here.

- Jutila has a decent case in that he was such a fixture on the national team. But seriously, are we supposed to consider performances in the post-1990 world championships as anything that special? What should we translate these out to? Was Jutila potentially a #1 NHL defenseman for a decade? #2? #3? what? I mean, looking at the rosters, he was typically making it on the team along with NHLers, some good, some not, but also some non-NHLers. what was his place in the pecking order among these players? Was he considered as good as the NHL stars? or the average NHLers? or not quite as good as those guys? We need to know more to understand.

- Iain Fyffe (who I nonetheless greatly respect) is a fan of Newell. When he selected him two summers ago most of us didn't see the rationale and I still don't. He has simply no recognition associated with him at all.

- Klee's not gonna kill you, but he's not even as good as the Keas, Quinns, Bergevins, Mollers, and Skrastins that we're profiling two levels down, IMO.

- Genge could be a good pick. But has it been shown?

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
- what does being a finnish HHOFer mean? In the grand scheme of things. I mean, how many players are Finnish HHOFers? How many are still unselected? What made your guy stand out among the others still left? Nonetheless, a guy who got into 46 international games for Finland in the 1960s is not going to scare anyone here.

- Jutila has a decent case in that he was such a fixture on the national team. But seriously, are we supposed to consider performances in the post-1990 world championships as anything that special? What should we translate these out to? Was Jutila potentially a #1 NHL defenseman for a decade? #2? #3? what? I mean, looking at the rosters, he was typically making it on the team along with NHLers, some good, some not, but also some non-NHLers. what was his place in the pecking order among these players? Was he considered as good as the NHL stars? or the average NHLers? or not quite as good as those guys? We need to know more to understand.

- Iain Fyffe (who I nonetheless greatly respect) is a fan of Newell. When he selected him two summers ago most of us didn't see the rationale and I still don't. He has simply no recognition associated with him at all.

- Klee's not gonna kill you, but he's not even as good as the Keas, Quinns, Bergevins, Mollers, and Skrastins that we're profiling two levels down, IMO.

- Genge could be a good pick. But has it been shown?

Sorry, can't go in-depth researching for obscure stat algorithms for fantasy teams, especially at this level….. a full-time and 2 part-time jobs is making it difficult. You do it, I'm done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad