2013 AA Quarterfinals Balgonie vs. Danville

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Balgonie North Stars

coach Ron Wilson

Pete Horeck - Viktor Polupanov - Mike Ryder
Eric Vail - Vladimir Golikov - Alexander Martynyuk
John Marks - Shawn Horcoff (A) - Keith McCreary (C)
Darcy Rota - Steve Ott (A) - Floyd Smith
Parker MacDonald, Murray Armstrong

Keith Carney - Yuri Fedorov
Roy Rickey - Rod Flett
Terry Carkner - Rick Lapointe
Gerry Hart, Cody Winters

Herb Collins
Gilles Villemure

VS.

Danville Dashers

coach Bill Dineen

Alexander Skvortsov - Andre Savard - Tom Webster
Derek King - Brendan Morrison- Willy Lindstrom
Chuck Lefley - Sergei Shepelev - Mel Hill
Ted Donato (A) - Dean McAmmond - Ian Laperriere (C)
Adam Creighton, Art Throop, Chris Neil

Bryan Berard - Barry Long
Billy Stuart - Garth Boesch
Anton Volchenkov - Douglas Murray (A)
Genrihk Sidorenkov

Nikolai Puchkov
Al Smith​

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Danville's actually got a really well constructed first line. Savard isn't really first line material but he provides some good defensive work which his linemates don't. On Balgonie we have our LW do the dirty work instead. Webster/Ryder and Skvortsov/Polupanov are more or less washes. Horeck brings a physical and offensive edge over Savard, Savard has a defensive edge.

I'm not sure this is the right place for Morrison. He did have the best numbers leading into this draft but so much of that was from riding Naslund and bertuzzi's coattails. He's not great in the other aspects of the game (though he's not terrible, either). Martynyuk at RW is a huge upgrade over a face in the crowd like Lindstrom, and Vail provides all of King's offensive ability plus some physicality to make it a line that works. Golikov was selected not only for his offensive resume (which is pretty good) but also because multiple sources have called him a strong defensive player and penalty killer. Apparently he was considered a better overall player than his brother Alex (AAA RW) despite Alex having the better offensive record.

Lefley and Marks are similar. but why Shepelev as a 3rd liner or as a center? Hill might provide a clutch goal here or there, but as traditional third lines Balgonie has the guys to really defend while providing adequate puck skills. Danville's is more one-dimensional despite their guys not being any more skilled than ours as a group. Both teams have 4th lines with the ability to be buzz saw lines. I think Balgonie's has the more demonstrated offensive skill, though.

Bryan Berard might be the best offensive blueliner at this level, but he'll still get ventilated at even strength. That said, I think Fedorov might have been the same kind of player. I'm not sold on Barry Long up against a 1000 game NHLer who took the Ducks to the finals in 2003.

Forget about trying to compare 2nd defense pairings...

I think Collins is the best goalie in this draft and Villemure is top-5 too. You didn't take two guys who will hurt you though, I think they're both AA caliber for sure.

Dineen and Wilson are both qualified AA level coaches, I don't think either of them will decide this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad