Injury Report: 2013-2014 Uber Injury Updates Part 3 (Latest news in Post #1)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 49s
Beau Bennett and Kris Letang will return to #Pens practice tomorrow, per coach Bylsma

Bennett, I expected. Letang? Just kinda, out of nowhere to full practice? Huh...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Letang seems pretty hell bent on returning this season, eh?

Well, best of luck to the guy, I guess. Sort of shocked that he's ready to go this quickly.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
As long as the doctors are saying he's totally out of the woods then that's great to hear about Letang. He's be a bit of a disappointment this year, but he's still a legit top 4 guy.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm worried about Letang coming back too soon. If he's 100% that's awesome news, but I don't want them to rush him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The Letang bit is shocking. I really hope this is 100% safe for him and he's 100%, don't rush him and don't let him rush himself. Good for him if he's recovered this fast, though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm worried about Letang coming back too soon. If he's 100% that's awesome news, but I don't want them to rush him.

Were they waiting for something to heal, or just waiting to make sure nothing else happened? I guess what I'm asking is, was he actually recovering or were they just in wait and see mode to see if the problem was bigger than they thought? I mean, they aren't even fixing the hole, right? And its been there his whole life?

I ask this as someone who is 100% clueless to medical stuff.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
If I was Letang, there would be no way I'd play this season. He had a stroke in what, late January? How can a doctor say hey, in about 6 weeks you'll be good to go in a job where you'll have to deal with extreme levels of physical exertion and abuse.

Just seems kind of crazy to me.

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
It shouldn't be any problem for Letang to do full contact, intensive workouts after he is off his blood-meds. Same would be for most people. But the damage in the brain is still there and will be there for the rest of his life. The big question is if he still have symptoms and how he is handling perceptions, speed and coordination. If those things aren't a problem, he could come back soon. Playing hockey will not increase his risk for another stroke or worsen his condition in any way

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If I was Letang, there would be no way I'd play this season. He had a stroke in what, late January? How can a doctor say hey, in about 6 weeks you'll be good to go in a job where you'll have to deal with extreme levels of physical exertion and abuse.

Just seems kind of crazy to me.

Yep. This is just lunacy he's even going to be playing.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
are the penguins better off without letang in the lineup?

guy had a handful of good games prior to his injury, but overall he has been awful this year. when he plays he hurts what little structure this team has. and he'll be rusty from not having played recently.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 49s
Beau Bennett and Kris Letang will return to #Pens practice tomorrow, per coach Bylsma

Bennett, I expected. Letang? Just kinda, out of nowhere to full practice? Huh...

...yeah. I don't like that news. I thought he'd be re-evaluated after 6 weeks. I mean he just has a freaking stroke for crying out loud. Even if the doctors say he's ready, I'd still wait. Doctors can be wrong too, and this isn't something you mess around with.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I wonder how much BB will be able to contribute when he comes back into the lineup. He basically hasn't played at all this year.

Even if Letang is practicing I would be quite surprised if he plays any time soon. Aside from rehabbing from the effects his stroke, he has lost some significant bulk which is a part of his game. And I think I've read that he is still on blood thinners. Plus with the recent Peverley scare I don't see how the doctors can put him out willy nilly (yes, not the same ailment but you would imagine that all teams should be more cautious because of it).

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I wonder how much BB will be able to contribute when he comes back into the lineup. He basically hasn't played at all this year.

Even if Letang is practicing I would be quite surprised if he plays any time soon. Aside from rehabbing from the effects his stroke, he has lost some significant bulk which is a part of his game. And I think I've read that he is still on blood thinners. Plus with the recent Peverley scare I don't see how the doctors can put him out willy nilly (yes, not the same ailment but you would imagine that all teams should be more cautious because of it).

I'm sure it won't take Bylsma long to bench him and double-shift Adams.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
are the penguins better off without letang in the lineup?

guy had a handful of good games prior to his injury, but overall he has been awful this year. when he plays he hurts what little structure this team has. and he'll be rusty from not having played recently.

As much as I ragged on the guy, he is still a huge improvement over Engo (who he'd most likely be replacing).

WhoDaresWins

Nov 9, 2008
Pittsburgh

He's not.

Letang will practice Monday — six and a half weeks after taking a stroke — and he is cleared for full participation, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said Sunday.

Letang no longer is on blood-thinning medication, but there is no time frame for his return to games, Bylsma said.

“We had an idea that at this point in time, he could possibly be cleared to practice,†Bylsma said. “He still has some other things to go through, but we knew this was the six-week mark, and there was a chance.

“It's not a complete surprise.â€

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5777626-74/letang-penguins-bylsma#ixzz2wAf5FecD
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

He would have to be pretty horrible to be worse than Gibbons and Glass.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
...yeah. I don't like that news. I thought he'd be re-evaluated after 6 weeks. I mean he just has a freaking stroke for crying out loud. Even if the doctors say he's ready, I'd still wait. Doctors can be wrong too, and this isn't something you mess around with.

It's Kris Letang's life. If he feels he's ready and the Doctors say he's ready, then he has every right to get out there and play.

I find it hard to believe he really cares what some random dude on a message board with no medical training has to say about his health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad