Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part III* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 4/8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Skjei will be a better pro than college player. In college hockey,Mike Reilly and the kid from Union are the prototype D. Torey Krug. Small. Good wheels. Can make the stretch pass. That doesn't work in the NHL. Skjei can make the 10 foot pass which is more common in the NHL. He has good size at 6-3 206. He can skate. Good defensively. Skjei has shown some glimpses of offensive ability. Another year of college hockey won't hurt him. Staying in school would be a smart business decision. Skjei signs at 21. Eligible for salary arbitration at the end of the 3 years ELC. McDonagh did that. Stepan signed at 20 and needed 4 years. If Minnesota wins the whole thing,does it have an impact on his decision and whatever the Rangers have planned? Skjei is a Newport Sports client(not yet). Newport are his advisors. When the Rangers selected him in 2012,Newport had news of the selection on their site. They had a list of players on their site "In the system" which included Dylan McIlrath and Skjei. Then the Kerdiles thing happened,Newport removed any mention of Skjei. Ian Pulver represents Kerdiles.

http://www.thehockeyagency.com/players-section/system

Agree. Skjei should probably stay at Minnesota U. one more year. Excellent size, great skater, very good defensive player. There is probably a lot of untapped offensive potential. He has a bomb of a shot.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
For those who watch Skjei, how much offense do we think he brings? That could be the thing that stops him from being another McDonagh or McDonagh-lite.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
For those who watch Skjei, how much offense do we think he brings? That could be the thing that stops him from being another McDonagh or McDonagh-lite.

Well McD did not have much offense in his game his first couple years in the league either.

It's a developing thing, for both of them

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Good god no. Anyone but him. Lol.

I really don't see that at all. Rozy was a soft as butter, avoid contact type guy who made a decent first pass while skating like he had work boots on. He never ever would shoot the puck either. And he had a decent shot. He played a relatively smart game when he wasn't in full dufus mode- usually while trying to man the point on the pp.

Skjei is more physical with a great stride and a smooth efficient d first game.

Rozsival took more huge hits to move pucks in the defensive zone than any Rangers D I can remember seeing. At the very least he wasn't shy about taking a hit to make a play

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
McDonagh didn't score much in college, either. 12, 16 and 18 points during his three years. McDonagh's career high in goals was 5; Skjei has six this season. I remember when we acquired McDonagh, a lot of Habs fans said the organization was a little down on him because his offense wasn't developing as was hoped.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Skjei has brought up McDonagh and Leddy as two players he likes to watch. Leddy left Minnesota after his freshman year. He is a good offensive D but he might have been better spending more than one year in school. He looks like he can't play in his own zone at times. Skjei is used as a shutdown D in Minnesota. PK. No PP time. McDonagh was used the same way by Mike Eaves. In high school,Skjei put up some decent numbers. Was it Skjei's ability or was it the level of competition? Skjei left after his sophomore year to join the US development program in Ann Arbor.

BarbaraAlphanse

Kevin Hayes of BC. The Rangers need someone like that. Hayes is a senior. RW. Can play Center. The Hawks have his rights until August 15. Hayes will get a ton of interest if he ever reaches free agency. The Hawks have been very active in the college free agent market. They were after Haggerty. They signed one of the Carey brothers. The Rangers wanted that Carey brother too. The Rangers and Hawks were after the Quinnipiac player who signed with the Flames. Calgary signed the player.

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/450030946561970177

The Rangers are out of NHL SPCs.

Chicago also signed Trevor van Riemsdyk. The Hawks also have Johns from Notre Dame. Graduating senior.

The Swedish kid Folin from UMASS-Lowell should be signing soon. Elliotte Friedman mentioned 4 teams in connection with Folin. Its down to 4 teams. The Flyers,Caps,Wild and Colorado It sounds Folin will be playing in the NHL this week.

RB -

You love Hayes. I don't know why. I've watched him for 4 years now. Consistently. Funny story, he actually handed me the Beanpot this year after BC won it so I could drink beer out of it. But I digress.

He's inconsistent. He can look great at times, then look horrid other times. Kreider was inconsistent too during his time at BC, but not ever to this extent. Kreider would float, and thus he wouldn't always be involved in the play, but his presence was always felt - either via his speed or physicality.

If Hayes isn't touching the puck, he's not doing much. He was suspended for a large portion of last year for disruptive behavior. Jerry wasn't happy with him.

I'm not so sure he's the elite prospect you seem to think he is. I don't even think he's as good as Jimmy, who has 15 pts in 48 games for the Panthers.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
“I came into this school year with a completely different respect for the game, actually,” Hayes said. “I knew how close I had come to possibly never being able to play again. I always took it serious, but I kind of took it in a different way, almost as a matter-of-fact. But this is a game and something I want to do for the rest of my life, and I was so close to never being able to do it again that it was kind of a wake-up call.

view-source:http://bostonherald.com/sports/coll...14/03/bc_winger_kevin_hayes_turns_game_around

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Has The Hockey News future watch rankings been discussed? Rangers prospects ranked 30th out of 30. Miller ranked #23 overall and Skjei #73. That's it of the top 75 prospects.

I'm depressed.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Rangers shoulda learned from the Grachev disaster about rushing their prospects before they were ready.

Same thing with several other prospects...make them play in the A too quickly.

Let the kids develop properly and at their own pace.

No need to rush McIlrath, Skjei, Miller, Fasth, Lindberg, Duclair etc.

Rangers have enough depth on their team to not have to rush these kids.

They'll play when they're ready, or they won't play at all. Teams that rush their players tend to ruin them WAY more often than not.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Has The Hockey News future watch rankings been discussed? Rangers prospects ranked 30th out of 30. Miller ranked #23 overall and Skjei #73. That's it of the top 75 prospects.

I'm depressed.

that's what happens when you don't draft high all the time and continue to graduate prospects.

take a look at the team, half the impact players are either drafted, or were secured thanks to trades using our drafted players.

MSL (granted he's sucked, but you get the point..got him thanks to Cally), Nash (thanks to Anisimov & Dubinsky), Staal, Henrik, Kreider, Stepan, McDonagh (Trade, but really he developed with us, not with Montreal), MZA, Girardi (both undrafted free agents, but we're the ones that developed them and graduated them), Hagelin, Talbot.

You graduate players, you are a consistent playoff team...your system is going to suck.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
that's what happens when you don't draft high all the time and continue to graduate prospects.

take a look at the team, half the impact players are either drafted, or were secured thanks to trades using our drafted players.

MSL (granted he's sucked, but you get the point..got him thanks to Cally), Nash (thanks to Anisimov & Dubinsky), Staal, Henrik, Kreider, Stepan, McDonagh (Trade, but really he developed with us, not with Montreal), MZA, Girardi (both undrafted free agents, but we're the ones that developed them and graduated them), Hagelin, Talbot.

You graduate players, you are a consistent playoff team...your system is going to suck.

Well there are consistent playoff teams ranked above us. Actually, ALL of the consistent playoff teams are ranked above us!

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Yes sorry I misread that.

That being said, of top 75 prospects, with 30 teams prospects counted, the average is slightly over two. The Rangers have 2 in the top 75. Zero would be depressing.

Well add in that one is #73 and we are ranked 30th out of 30 overall and it's a little scary.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
They missed the boat on Fasching, and likely Tuch. I'd like to see them add another big center. Stepan could develop into Bergeron, but they need a 1a. Nieves has 1a skills but his head isn't in the game. Maybe a 3d liner flanked by Miller and Kreider.

They need a 1a. Boston hit the jackpot with Krejci.

If they keep their 1st, I go Kempe or Vrana. Tuch might got top-12.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Well there are consistent playoff teams ranked above us. Actually, ALL of the consistent playoff teams are ranked above us!

yes...and?

who cares?

would being ranked 28th instead of 30th make much of a difference?

Rangers are a good team. they're a young team (average team age is 27, but that's really thrown outta whack with MSL being an older player).

and theyve got their prime assets signed long term aside from what...Kreider and Staal?

having a killer farm system wont really make much of a difference to the team as currently constructed. we have an elite 4th line. we have a damn good 3rd line thats basically been our 1st line all year (mza, brassard and pouliot) and our top 6 have underperformed big time and we are still a top team in the east.

and...all while being relatively young.

we have plenty of boom/bust prospects that could come in and tear it up when we have like 1 or 2 openings...but really, the rangers are set on their roster for the forseeable future. we have plenty of prospects who are ready to take the steps and very few spots to give to them.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The purpose of this thread is to discuss prospects

Yes.

And the purpose of your post is to complain about how horrible our system is.

It's not.

Looking at it in the small vacuum of how we are currently ranked as compared to the rest of the league makes your argument for you.

My contention is that we've graduated so many players, and make the playoffs every year that it doesnt matter that we're ranked 30th.

so, i'll say it again.

who cares that we're ranked 30th. it means nothing without any context around it.

VERY few spots for kids going forward. Lots of young players signed long term.

plenty of free agents who could fill in around if need be.

our 30th ranked prospect pool means next to nothing. we've got the prospects ready to fill the few holes we have. beyond that, it doesnt matter.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Yes.

And the purpose of your post is to complain about how horrible our system is.

It's not.

Looking at it in the small vacuum of how we are currently ranked as compared to the rest of the league makes your argument for you.

My contention is that we've graduated so many players, and make the playoffs every year that it doesnt matter that we're ranked 30th.

so, i'll say it again.

who cares that we're ranked 30th. it means nothing without any context around it.

VERY few spots for kids going forward. Lots of young players signed long term.

plenty of free agents who could fill in around if need be.

our 30th ranked prospect pool means next to nothing. we've got the prospects ready to fill the few holes we have. beyond that, it doesnt matter.

Whatever. This is a post for another thread.

This thread is about prospects, not potential free agents, or to say prospects don't matter.

If you don't care where we are ranked by The Hockey News, this website, or anyone else, why bother coming into the prospects thread at all?

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

I'm depressed.

You shouldn't be surprised. The cupboard is bare. No second round pick in 2011. No first and second in 2013.

THN had Ryan McDonagh ranked #67 in their 2010 Future Watch? #67:)

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
You shouldn't be surprised. The cupboard is bare. No second round pick in 2011. No first and second in 2013.

THN had Ryan McDonagh ranked #67 in their 2010 Future Watch? #67:)

Well that's good news. Hopefully we have more surprises out there like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad