Marlies Discussion: 2013-2014 Marlies Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Spencer Abbott is surprising me. Is he that good?

Abbott would do fine with the leafs. He is over PPG and his defensive game isnt bad.

He is a real moneyball player (scores and generates wins but undervalued because of size bias)

Leafs aren't smart enough to be playing moneyball however.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Our toughness was overrated since last season. Only the heavyweights did the fighting and they're on the bench most of the time. Our team is more the gritty kind. I look forward to the inclusion of skill players that can drop em and log decent minutes.

Agreed, Biggs, Broll, Devane, Carrick, Crscenzi. At least a couple of these guys will develop into decent NHLers.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Abbott would do fine with the leafs. He is over PPG and his defensive game isnt bad.

He is a real moneyball player (scores and generates wins but undervalued because of size bias)

I was pumping up Abbott on these boards all of last year.

I still think he can make it in the NHL as a very productive late-boomer but he needs to improve his speed/quickness a bit.

His offensive awareness/creativity is through the roof though.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was pumping up Abbott on these boards all of last year.

I still think he can make it in the NHL as a very productive late-boomer but he needs to improve his speed/quickness a bit.

His offensive awareness/creativity is through the roof though.

Maybe they should try him with Clarkson.

Seriously, it might be the type of player Clarkson meshes with.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marlies up 1-0 so far on Rochester. Ashton with the PPG

Wish he'd get the same open lanes up here because he could seriously do some damage with that shot of his.

Marlies are up 2-0 against the Checkers right now after the 2nd. Biggs #3 (Macleod, Carrick) and Abbott #5 (Broll).

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
They ended up winning 3-1. Ross picked up the 3rd goal assisted by Broll again. Gibson 1st star with 32 saves and Biggs second star

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Shouldn't Devane be fighting all the Heavy's in the AHL. He needs way more practise handling the fighters in the big leagues.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nice to see Biggs and Ross on the board. Hopefully they can put together a strong second half to their seasons.

Gibson's numbers looking good so far as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
really hope Biggs starts to show that he can put up some offence. Our top 6 needs another power forward.

He's only 1 point behind Jenner now.

I'm hoping Biggs can start putting up the points ... yes points.

Leafs have no shortage of bottom 6 forwards. Bottom 6 is not a need, if we disregard contract and go with on ice performance, the shortage is on the top 6. Top 6 need of real talent with real toughness. You can throw all the toughness you want on the top 6, but if toughness is the only reason they are on the top 6 it is always going to show.

You want a Shannahan type of player, someone who can score, fight, play tough and compete with anyone on any line. 6'3", 220 lbs. of top 6 forward.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Ashton with a great play using his speed to beat the defender outside and pass it to the middle of the ice for McKegg who makes no mistake. 1-0 Marlies

good first period for the Marlies. The Macleod-Carrick-Biggs line was our best IMO. They were absolutely owning the puck in the offensive zone, just couldn't get any clean chances. Ashton looking really good so far this afternoon with McKegg and Abbott. Other two lines are Broll-Ryan-Ross and Devane-Crescenzi-Staubitz. No Leivo this afternoon and he didn't play yesterday, maybe an injury??

Last edited:

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Ashton takes advantage of a bad play by the Checkers defense at the Marlies blueline to go in on a breakaway and he burries it fivehole. 2-1 Marlies. McKegg might pick up an assist on that too. edit. so they added an assist for McKegg and Granberg too

Then the Macleod-Carrick-Biggs line's cycling finally pays off and Biggs jams one home after Macleod takes it to the net. Carrick should pick up an assist there too. 3-1 Marlies

Ashton just picked up his second of the game making it 4-2 Marlies. Ashton starts the play taking the puck through the neutral zone and getting it in deep to McKegg who cycles it quickly to Abbott and Abbott shows some skill taking it out to the faceoff dot and putting an absolutely FILTHY backhand sauce pass right on the tape of Ashton cruising through the slot who then beats the goalie under the blocker

Last edited:

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Kenny Ryan ices it in the empty net, his first of the year. 5-2 Marlies final

Spott had Biggs/Ryan-Carrick/McKegg-Ashton as the forwards defending the lead in the final minute and a half

The Macleod-Carrick-Biggs line pretty much spent the whole game in the offensive zone. Real fun game to watch

Last edited:

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed

I'm afraid he may become our Marty St.Louis...:help:

Maybe they should try him with Clarkson.

Seriously, it might be the type of player Clarkson meshes with.

I wonder he ever played w/ Gionta 1 or 2 in NJ?

He's only 1 point behind Jenner now.

I'm hoping Biggs can start putting up the points ... yes points.

Leafs have no shortage of bottom 6 forwards. Bottom 6 is not a need, if we disregard contract and go with on ice performance, the shortage is on the top 6. Top 6 need of real talent with real toughness. You can throw all the toughness you want on the top 6, but if toughness is the only reason they are on the top 6 it is always going to show.

You want a Shannahan type of player, someone who can score, fight, play tough and compete with anyone on any line. 6'3", 220 lbs. of top 6 forward.

Or honestly ULF would you like what's behind door # 2? I began to find it ironic that that's the number that Biggs took to start this season, Did he wear it starting from the preseason?

Attachments

• dino.jpg
    dino.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 2

mikebel111*

man ashton is starting to show some offensive potential.

and mckegg is playing really well this season. I think he could be a potential call up for us?

mikebel111*

Kenny Ryan ices it in the empty net, his first of the year. 5-2 Marlies final

Spott had Biggs/Ryan-Carrick/McKegg-Ashton as the forwards defending the lead in the final minute and a half

The Macleod-Carrick-Biggs line pretty much spent the whole game in the offensive zone. Real fun game to watch

looks like biggs has picked up his play in the last little while. he needs to keep going, but man is ashton firing on all cylinders right now.

Ashton has offense in his game, great shot and speed, evidence by his rookie season in AHL.

IDK why randy won't give him a third line role, he seems to get stuck in 4th line. the guy IMO is a legit third liner,

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I really don't think most posters understand how long it takes to adjust to the pro game. It took carrick a full year of bouncing around and now he's a very solid prospect on the pro ranks, looks like Biggs has also figured out the speed of the pro game, it's a massive jump from junior

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
I really don't think most posters understand how long it takes to adjust to the pro game. It took carrick a full year of bouncing around and now he's a very solid prospect on the pro ranks, looks like Biggs has also figured out the speed of the pro game, it's a massive jump from junior

Biggs looked great today. Could have easily had a couple more goals but the tender stoned him on a 2on1 where he kept and shot and the puck bounced over his stick on another chance right in the crease. He has definitely settled in and is playing a lot better than the start of the year. Was a monster on the boards today and his line was winning every battle in the corners. Macleod was really good today to but I would like to see Leivo play alongside Carrick and Biggs. Macleod has no finish. Still no powerplay time for Biggs other than a rare shift with 20 seconds to go in pp

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Biggs looked great today. Could have easily had a couple more goals but the tender stoned him on a 2on1 where he kept and shot and the puck bounced over his stick on another chance right in the crease. He has definitely settled in and is playing a lot better than the start of the year. Was a monster on the boards today and his line was winning every battle in the corners. Macleod was really good today to but I would like to see Leivo play alongside Carrick and Biggs. Macleod has no finish. Still no powerplay time for Biggs other than a rare shift with 20 seconds to go in pp
Those are his strengths, skating, board work and using his body to create space. Happy that he is playing well because I'm 98 % sure this board wanted him burned at the stake because he is a "bust". He will get power play time sooner than later, I like this level because it's all earned playing time. Leivo would be a great for with those 2, hopefully they continue there play, consistency is a hard thing to do in the ahl because of the travel and different line ups every night.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Those are his strengths, skating, board work and using his body to create space. Happy that he is playing well because I'm 98 % sure this board wanted him burned at the stake because he is a "bust". He will get power play time sooner than later, I like this level because it's all earned playing time. Leivo would be a great for with those 2, hopefully they continue there play, consistency is a hard thing to do in the ahl because of the travel and different line ups every night.

How can 20 year old Biggs be a bust when people are touting 25 year old Abbott?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
McKegg returned from injury with a bang scoring a goal and 3pts (now at a 23gl/51pt pace)

Ashton continues to crush the AHL with 2gls/3pts tonight as well (now at a 72gl/103pt pace in 8gms).

Marlies are starting to pull away in the North Division. 3pts ahead of 2nd place Rochester in 2 fewer games. 5pts up on Lake Erie in the same number of games played. 8th best record in the AHL now.

so much for missing Eakins and his band of merry vets.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
How can 20 year old Biggs be a bust when people are touting 25 year old Abbott?

Lol have you read this thread? Basically since Biggs was drafted he was considered a bust. Everyone the leafs have in the system is considered a bust or they look to who some else took 15 spots behind them and play the captain hindsight game. Abbott has offense and lots of it, if it translates or not is obviously the golden question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad