2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Detroit might have interest, but that's a far jump for a player who doesn't have that much value.

yeah, I definitely don't think we could jump 11 spots with him alone.

Maybe 5 spots at the very very most. I'm sure some will think even that's too much but he has been a pretty dominant offensive force in one of the best leagues in the world.

I just don't think MB wants him anymore. Surely Nygren and a 3rd could get us somewhere.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
yeah, I definitely don't think we could jump 11 spots with him alone.

Maybe 5 spots at the very very most. I'm sure some will think even that's too much but he has been a pretty dominant offensive force in one of the best leagues in the world.

I just don't think MB wants him anymore. Surely Nygren and a 3rd could get us somewhere.

I still liked Nashville's Maenalainen RW for Finland playing with Teravainen & Lehkonen after Kapanen was injured. He was great and a 5th rounder last year, Nygren for Maenalainen would be a fair trade IMHO.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd really like to see him change his mind and give Hamilton another try but that ship seams to have sailed by now. If the team isn't willing to give him a legitimate chance to fight for a spot on the big club in training camp than they might as well try to get something for him now. His value is probably as high as it's ever going to get. It's good assets management at this point.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'd really like to see him change his mind and give Hamilton another try but that ship seams to have sailed by now. If the team isn't willing to give him a legitimate chance to fight for a spot on the big club in training camp than they might as well try to get something for him now. His value is probably as high as it's ever going to get. It's good assets management at this point.

Bergevin knows his worth and the Habs need a PMD for the 2nd pairing & PP, but if he's moving Nygren then Maenalainen is fair trade value and the Habs need more RW talent. Especially if Gionta & Vanek move in the UFA market, Thrower, Deitz and Didier are still coming at RD in a couple of yrs.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Bergevin knows his worth and the Habs need a PMD for the 2nd pairing & PP, but if he's moving Nygren then Maenalainen is fair trade value and the Habs need more RW talent. Especially if Gionta & Vanek move in the UFA market, Thrower, Deitz and Didier are still coming at RD in a couple of yrs.

Who is that? I don't think I've ever heard of him.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yeah that's how I feel. I think I'd give him a 2nd chance but I doubt MB does.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
They're nothing alike... it's always this ****ing comparaison with quebec-born players who succeed in the Q. They're bust, Simon Gamache all over again...

Hudon has legit NHL potential who isn't based on total domination of inferior competition... actually, Hudon never dominated the Q the way Gamache did, their stengths are nothing alike...

The potential he has is on hockey IQ. It's really important to say the least. But I don't see anything else. I would be incredibly surprised to see him reach the NHL based on the elite skills he's missing and mostly when you also start realizing how even in Juniors, he probably had to play with an injury. Can't imagine what it could look like in the NHL against bigger and tougher opponents.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The potential he has is on hockey IQ. It's really important to say the least. But I don't see anything else. I would be incredibly surprised to see him reach the NHL based on the elite skills he's missing and mostly when you also start realizing how even in Juniors, he probably had to play with an injury. Can't imagine what it could look like in the NHL against bigger and tougher opponents.

The difference is, most likely Hudon wouldn't be THE MAN in the NHL and wouldn't get the attention from opposing d-men like he does in the Q. Hudon most likely would be a support guy on line 3 or a more dominant 3rd line/PP guy like Briere has been the last few years.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
yeah that's how I feel. I think I'd give him a 2nd chance but I doubt MB does.

I think it is more what does Magnus Nygren wants to do. I really hope he decides to come back. I really think he is our best defenseman prospect...plus he is RD man that can also play the PP....which is what we really need for the big club. I had also read somewhere that he knew he did a stupid thing in leaving Hamilton....but does not want to play there. He would rather continue to develop in the SHL until he is ready to play in the NHL.
I don't think he is the first European to decided to go this route of playing in Europe until he is ready for the NHL( instead of going the AHL route)

Here a link saying Montreal wants him to come back to North America. It was posted on June 05, 2014....plus the translation.
http://www.hockeysverige.se/tag/magnus-nygren/?theme=handheld

Posted on June 5, 2014 by Uffe Bodin

It does not look to be any Magnus Nygren in Färjestadsvägen autumn. According Värmland Folkblad have the Montreal Canadiens, who owns the rights to the World Cup hill, Nygren announced that they want him in North America next season.

Magnus Nygren tested their luck in North America this season, but did not last long in the Montreal Canadiens farm team the Hamilton Bulldogs in the AHL. After only 16 games, he came home to Karlstad and finished the season with Färjestadsvägen in the most impressive way that he played for himself a place in the Swedish World Cup squad and took bronze in Minsk.

Färjestadsvägen had hope that Nygren could be considered for play in SHL also in the fall if he did not take place in the NHL. Now, Montréal, however, have informed the 23-year-old and his agents that they want him to stay in North America throughout the season, says Värmland Folkblad.
- We'll see how it goes, but I want an answer as soon as possible, he says to the newspaper.

Magnus Nygren has previously said in several interviews that he does not intend to return to Hamilton again. However, the Montreal Canadiens have the final say in the matter. Nygren get the chance to show he belongs in the NHL when training camp kicks off in September.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think it is more what does Magnus Nygren wants to do. I really hope he decides to come back. I really think he is our best defenseman prospect...plus he is RD man that can also play the PP....which is what we really need for the big club. I had also read somewhere that he knew he did a stupid thing in leaving Hamilton....but does not want to play there. He would rather continue to develop in the SHL until he is ready to play in the NHL.
I don't think he is the first European to decided to go this route of playing in Europe until he is ready for the NHL( instead of going the AHL route)

Here a link saying Montreal wants him to come back to North America. It was posted on June 05, 2014....plus the translation.
http://www.hockeysverige.se/tag/magnus-nygren/?theme=handheld

Posted on June 5, 2014 by Uffe Bodin

It does not look to be any Magnus Nygren in Färjestadsvägen autumn. According Värmland Folkblad have the Montreal Canadiens, who owns the rights to the World Cup hill, Nygren announced that they want him in North America next season.

Magnus Nygren tested their luck in North America this season, but did not last long in the Montreal Canadiens farm team the Hamilton Bulldogs in the AHL. After only 16 games, he came home to Karlstad and finished the season with Färjestadsvägen in the most impressive way that he played for himself a place in the Swedish World Cup squad and took bronze in Minsk.

Färjestadsvägen had hope that Nygren could be considered for play in SHL also in the fall if he did not take place in the NHL. Now, Montréal, however, have informed the 23-year-old and his agents that they want him to stay in North America throughout the season, says Värmland Folkblad.
- We'll see how it goes, but I want an answer as soon as possible, he says to the newspaper.

Magnus Nygren has previously said in several interviews that he does not intend to return to Hamilton again. However, the Montreal Canadiens have the final say in the matter. Nygren get the chance to show he belongs in the NHL when training camp kicks off in September.

The problem with Nygren isn't coming to camp, it's staying here if he gets assigned to the AHL.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
so what are people expecting out of Hudon?

I was over the moon with him in '12-13 from what I saw.

He still finished 14th in the Q in scoring while only 2 players ahead of him played less games. His last 2 playoff rounds were disappointing but still finished 12th in playoff scoring.

Did injuries possibly flare up again? It would be a shame he didn't make it happen because he was amazing when I saw him play in 12-13. Hopefully he can really really work hard this offseason.

Also, if he has a recurring problem (like his back) than he should get surgery or whatever it takes so he's a 100% even if it means he can't start the season.

Injuries are worrying me. I'm taking the wait and see approach. He's really smart, and he is versatile. Will he be too slow to adjust? Will he be too weak to handle the physicality? It will be the first time for him (outside of the WJC) that he'll have to earn his spot, it won't be given to him. I think he'll be fun to watch as he can dangle and score from anywhere.

My expectations for him are around 40 points. He has the talent to get as much, it will depend on his adjustments and if his body can hold on.

If he gets around 40 points, I'll be happy. If he gets under 30, I'll be disappointed. It will certainly also depend of his role, but there is room for him in the top6.

Last edited:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
The problem with Nygren isn't coming to camp, it's staying here if he gets assigned to the AHL.

Yes I agree with you...but I think he has a really good shot at making the Canadiens this year. They really need a RD that can play PP. Unless Montreal makes a trade....

As far as him playing in SHL next year I have no problem with that. There are enough posters on here that question the way of how the farm team is being run...me included.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The difference is, most likely Hudon wouldn't be THE MAN in the NHL and wouldn't get the attention from opposing d-men like he does in the Q. Hudon most likely would be a support guy on line 3 or a more dominant 3rd line/PP guy like Briere has been the last few years.

But Hudon's game won't be a skilled perimeter game. He doesn't have it. It will have to be a hardworking grittier bottom 6 role. So to play that role, you have to sacrifice your body. Yes, he will obviously try to outwit his opponents way more as he won,t be able to outweigh them....but while he does know what to do, hence his IQ, he might not have in skills to achieve it.

Anyway, we'll see. First year in pro next year. Let's hope he improves and let's hope he stays injury free. That would be a start.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
However, Montreal doesn't seem to have a problem with drafting smaller guys who turn out well. It's drafting players with size and having them become something that the problem lies.

I agree with your comments here. Maybe it's just my perception but other teams seem to be able find big players that are late bloomers and develop into solid NHL players. High skill players like Andrighetto and Reway are fine but we have drafted guys like Patrick Johnson, Erik Nystrom, John Westin and Mike Cichy. These guys never looked like they did anything to warrant being drafted.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Someone knows more about Daniel Carr ? I really don't him and he seems to have interesting stats!

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I agree with your comments here. Maybe it's just my perception but other teams seem to be able find big players that are late bloomers and develop into solid NHL players. High skill players like Andrighetto and Reway are fine but we have drafted guys like Patrick Johnson, Erik Nystrom, John Westin and Mike Cichy. These guys never looked like they did anything to warrant being drafted.

How many times you watched any of these 4 players play?

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012

Nystrom was a very decent pick at that spot.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Who is that? I don't think I've ever heard of him.

I still liked Nashville's Maenalainen RW for Finland playing with Teravainen & Lehkonen after Kapanen was injured. He was great and a 5th rounder last year, Nygren for Maenalainen would be a fair trade IMHO.

Finland won the 2013 U/20 WJHC's, beating the stacked & favorite Swede's at home last year, Routsalainen scoring in OT to win Gold. Maenalainen was the RW for Finland's top line & PP unit, replacing the #1 European prospect for the 2014 Entry Draft RW Kasperi Kapanen, Sami Kapanen's son.:nod:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad