TSN: 2013-14 WJHC selection camp roster(Canada)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No kidding. After seeing how poor Shinkaruk was and now Dumba I can't help but wonder if Sutter was biased in his picks as Nurse would be better over Dumba imo and both Klimchuck and Poirier have been better and would have been better for the team. Not that I don't want Canada to do well I just fell the picks for the team weren't the best.

Maybe I'm just biased but I have seen Sutter make poor roster decisions in the NHL so who knows.
Sutter was one of about 9 Hockey Canada personnel that chose this team, leaving off or picking a player was not his decision alone. So his bias assuming there is one would have played a minimal part in any decisions.

Klimchuk was injured (by Rafikov) the night Hockey Canada finalized their choices for the training camp. Poirier straddles the line of the rules in the CHL sometimes, the team cannot afford to have guys like him (and Nurse) that can cross the line with their aggressiveness.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sutter was one of about 9 Hockey Canada personnel that chose this team, leaving off or picking a player was not his decision alone. So his bias assuming there is one would have played a minimal part in any decisions.

Klimchuk was injured (by Rafikov) the night Hockey Canada finalized their choices for the training camp. Poirier straddles the line of the rules in the CHL sometimes, the team cannot afford to have guys like him (and Nurse) that can cross the line with their aggressiveness.

But they can bring Dumba? I'm sorry I don't see the argument against Klimchuck given Shinkaruk has been battling injuries all year and still made the camp roster. I'm not saying Sutter left off Flames prospect but that the roster mentality that the scouts used that left them off the team is flawed.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
No kidding. After seeing how poor Shinkaruk was and now Dumba I can't help but wonder if Sutter was biased in his picks as Nurse would be better over Dumba imo and both Klimchuck and Poirier have been better and would have been better for the team. Not that I don't want Canada to do well I just fell the picks for the team weren't the best.

Maybe I'm just biased but I have seen Sutter make poor roster decisions in the NHL so who knows.

Please, he's 14-0 at the world juniors, I think he knows what he's doing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
But they can bring Dumba? I'm sorry I don't see the argument against Klimchuck given Shinkaruk has been battling injuries all year and still made the camp roster. I'm not saying Sutter left off Flames prospect but that the roster mentality that the scouts used that left them off the team is flawed.
You are misunderstanding what I am saying about Klimchuk. He was injured the day they made their picks and still hasn't played since.

Why wouldn't they bring Dumba? He made a mistake today but crossing the line is not really his M.O

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You are misunderstanding what I am saying about Klimchuk. He was injured the day they made their picks and still hasn't played since.

Why wouldn't they bring Dumba? He made a mistake today but crossing the line is not really his M.O

I didn't realize Klimchuck hadn't come back yet for some reason I thought he did then I retract that. Dumba has never impressed him so it is possible it is my bias against him but he has been the worst defenseman so far imo.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I didn't realize Klimchuck hadn't come back yet for some reason I thought he did then I retract that. Dumba has never impressed him so it is possible it is my bias against him but he has been the worst defenseman so far imo.
Either way I can tell you with 100% certainty Nurse had no shot at the team and the decision to leave him off the team was made prior to the conclusion of the Subways Super series. And like him or not Dumba is better than anyone else they could have picked with maybe the exception of Nurse.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Either way I can tell you with 100% certainty Nurse had no shot at the team and the decision to leave him off the team was made prior to the conclusion of the Subways Super series. And like him or not Dumba is better than anyone else they could have picked with maybe the exception of Nurse.

I thought Severson looked better but then again it was only 1 game. Leaving Nurse off just doesn't make a ton of sense to me, while he has taken a far amount of penalties he is a much better defenseman than Dumba. I understand being afraid of penalties but to me Nurse is well worth the risk.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought Severson looked better but then again it was only 1 game. Leaving Nurse off just doesn't make a ton of sense to me, while he has taken a far amount of penalties he is a much better defenseman than Dumba. I understand being afraid of penalties but to me Nurse is well worth the risk.
It wasn't just the penalties though, it was also being too aggressive with pinches and physically so that he is severely out of position defensively.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It wasn't just the penalties though, it was also being too aggressive with pinches and physically so that he is severely out of position defensively.

Imo all are overblown and exaggerated. Thats not to say they aren't there but I don't see them being a bigger deal than Dumba's trouble handling the puck and reading plays.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Imo all are overblown and exaggerated. Thats not to say they aren't there but I don't see them being a bigger deal than Dumba's trouble handling the puck and reading plays.
if he problems were half as big as you make them out to be he wouldn't have been in the NHL this year :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seiloff was able to control his aggressive game last year and play play well I thought. I don't think you could have both though it would either be Dumba or Nurse.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh please he has barely played due to struggling its not like his 13 games of 12 minutes a night is really impressive :laugh:
I think he is being kept up because they believe is won't gain from the CHL and instead they feel their own coaching staff will teach him more than he would learn otherwise. Kind of like we are seeing with Breen right now, except waivers are not a factor.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think he is being kept up because they believe is won't gain from the CHL and instead they feel their own coaching staff will teach him more than he would learn otherwise. Kind of like we are seeing with Breen right now, except waivers are not a factor.

That is fine but him barely playing in the NHL shouldn't somehow justify his selection as I think he has struggled heavily this year and is a big risk to take especially with no extra defensemen for the first 3 games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That is fine but him barely playing in the NHL shouldn't somehow justify his selection as I think he has struggled heavily this year and is a big risk to take especially with no extra defensemen for the first 3 games.
we'll have to agree to disagree because I think he belongs there.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
For what it's worth Matt Dumba's CHL rights were traded to the Portland Winterhawks earlier this month and it is being speculated that he will suite up for them after the world junior tournament is over. In my opinion that would be the best course of action to take in order to successfully develop him as an impact player moving forward at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad