2013-14 USHL Season Topic

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Opening night for the USHL is here, and the next crop of hopeful American future NHLers will be starting their quest to win the Clark Cup tonight.

Feel free to have any and all discussions about new season here, and definitely report if you see future prospects that catch your eye at games you manage to attend.

With any luck, I'll be able to catch at least a Steel game or two this year.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
League Standings as of the morning of 9/23/13:

East
Team USA - 3-0-0
Green Bay - 1-0-1
Muskegon - 1-0-0
Dubuque - 0-0-0
Cedar Rapids - 0-0-0
Indiana - 0-1-0
Chicago - 0-2-0
Youngstown - 0-2-0

West
Waterloo - 1-0-0
Fargo - 1-0-0
Sioux Falls - 1-0-0
Lincoln - 0-0-0
Omaha - 0-0-0
Tri-City - 0-0-0
Sioux City - 0-1-0
Des Moines - 0-1-0

The very first hockey game of any kind that I ever saw live was a Steel @ Ice game, and my entry into this sport's fandom is bad luck for them as they've already begun digging a hole for themselves at the start of the season. :laugh:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I cover the USHL for the NHL draft so I'll share my thoughts on things as the year goes on. Hard to believe another hockey season is upon us already. Bring it!

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Chicago is going to have a rough season this year.

The USA U-17's are ridiculous. Went up to Ann Arbor for their exhibition against Janesville 2 Friday's ago. 12-1 win that could have easily been 17 or 18-1 if the U-17's didn't let up.

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND
I actually work for the Fargo Force. They seem to have a young good team this year. Its going to be hard with only 6 players returning and 2 of them being goalies.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Sioux Falls is by far the team to beat in the USHL this year. The line of Kravchenko, Franklin and Knutson are going to put up BIG numbers. Couple that with the addition of Art Brey, it is going to be a great year for the Stampede. I look for a decent year for my Cedar Rapids Roughriders with alot of returnees. Question mark will definitely be between the pipes with Birdsall and Tirone.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Didn't know where to post this so I'm trying here.

Scott Conway (Indiana Ice - Penn State) has 10 points in 10 games as a rookie and leads his team offensive thus far. He's also 4th in USHL in shots with 43 shots in 10GP.

Any pro potential in this kid? Could he end up a late NHL pick after being passed last year?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Well, he's certainly putting up some impressive numbers that I'm sure that a team would be willing to spend at least a late draft pick on him. Players getting passed over one draft and getting selected in another happens sometimes.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
I was at yesterday's game against Des Moines. Had 2 goals- 1 assist - 12 shots and was all over the place. He's starting to open some eyes but like NFS said, maybe a late pick at the moment.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Can someone explain to me the ushl draft process? The phase one phase two confuses me as well as the tender process. Do both phases happen at the same time? When is the draft?

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
The drafts take place on two consecutive days. I believe it is May 5th and 6th this year. Phase I or futures draft as it used to be called is for '98 birth years only. It is 8 rounds long.

Phase II draft or entry draft is for '94-'98 birthdates and goes until each team has a certain number of players are protected.

Tenders are a contract between a USHL team and '98 birth year player that takes place before the draft. Basically it gives a team to lock down a top player ahead of time. Each team can tender up to 2 players per year. The 1st costs a team a 1st round Phase I pick and the 2nd costs them a 2nd round Phase I pick. The tender has to play in 50 percent of games the next season or his rights are forfeited back to the following years draft.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
The drafts take place on two consecutive days. I believe it is May 5th and 6th this year. Phase I or futures draft as it used to be called is for '98 birth years only. It is 8 rounds long.

Phase II draft or entry draft is for '94-'98 birthdates and goes until each team has a certain number of players are protected.

Tenders are a contract between a USHL team and '98 birth year player that takes place before the draft. Basically it gives a team to lock down a top player ahead of time. Each team can tender up to 2 players per year. The 1st costs a team a 1st round Phase I pick and the 2nd costs them a 2nd round Phase I pick. The tender has to play in 50 percent of games the next season or his rights are forfeited back to the following years draft.

Thank you very much for the input. Answered all my questions

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
With their latest victory, Indiana is up 2 points on Waterloo for best record in the league. I'm hoping we finally get our first Anderson Cup this season.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Clark Cup playoffs start.

Oh, and Waterloo won the Anderson Cup.

Yes anything can happen in the playoffs, but I am looking forward to an Indiana vs Waterloo Clark Cup finals.

I will drive up I380 to watch that.

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND
Tri City's goalie Jacob Johansson has signed a contract with Linkoping of the SEL. I have been wondering why do some European play in the USHL for a season then leave its not the first I've seen.

I figured it out. He would be 21 before the season started. I'm still wondering why some players only play one season in the USHL and then return to Europe.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Tri City's goalie Jacob Johansson has signed a contract with Linkoping of the SEL. I have been wondering why do some European play in the USHL for a season then leave its not the first I've seen.

I figured it out. He would be 21 before the season started. I'm still wondering why some players only play one season in the USHL and then return to Europe.

Too old for junior in Sweden and not good enough for SEL. A buffer year...

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Ice beat Green Bay 1-0, and clinch the series 3 games to 1. Given how I still remember how tough those series have been against Cedar Rapids, I'd like to give Dubuque a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad