Speculation: 2013-14 Trade Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well we don't have to talk about him now which is good.

Nill seems very committed to relying on organizational depth anyway rather than making quick fix trades.

Watching the game last night Fiddler stuck out to me as someone who seems more out of place as times goes on. He's nearing enough games being back in the lineup that teams should have confidence in his health.

Horcoff I still don't think is tradable. Cole we don't want to trade now with the way he's playing. Even when his hands aren't working at least he fits into the team speed concept. Whitney I have no idea... how much have opposing pro scouts seen? The longer the season goes on the more unsure I become that the Stars can even get anything for him. To build value he needs to get back in the lineup and Ruff/Fraser need to utilize him correctly by putting him down low on the PP rather than at the point or high on the half-wall.

aloonda*

do you guys think horcoff is the kind of guy that nill would resign here at the end of his contract for a more reasonable rate?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I think on Whitney it's become a conditional trade unless someone just goes crazy or wants a player gone.

Say a 4th, changes to a 3rd if they make the Quarterfinals, a 2nd in the Conference Finals, 1st if the team makes the Stanley Cup Finals. I'm not even sure you could get Rundblad right now for him so a conditional pick seems like the best option.

Also agree about Fiddler. The sooner he's gone the happier I'll be. A 3rd or 4th round pick seems reasonable for him as well.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
No chance. You'll be paying for Horcoff's 37 year old season and onward during the 2015 offseason. His skating is already substandard and his offense has dried up. You should be able to replace him with a league minimum player from the farm. You could do that right now.

aloonda*

No chance. You'll be paying for Horcoff's 37 year old season and onward during the 2015 offseason. His skating is already substandard and his offense has dried up. You should be able to replace him with a league minimum player from the farm. You could do that right now.

agreed

just don't know how nill will look at it? is the "need" for veteran leadership by then not worth his shortcomings as a player---especially at his value

he is growing on me, but damn he is slowwwwwwwwww

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The more salient part of the Gleason trade is that Carolina likely is no longer a potentially landing spot for Goligoski with Liles aboard.

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
I think Horcoff is actually playing way better than he was at the beginning of the season, we shouldn't resign him but he is doing some good things right now. Killing penalties, winning a ton of board battles, average to good at faceoffs when he takes them, and fairly strong d.

He still has no offense but his veteran presence is worth keeping for this season.

We just need to trade one or both of Whitney and Fiddler. Fiddler seems like he is slowing down but he is still playing tough as hell probably still recovering from injury. Whitney just doesn't fit in with this team anymore.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'd be very curious to know if Franson is more available now from Toronto and if he could be had for a reasonable rate. A right shot Dman who can play on the PP is certainly a need.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Eakin for Kulikov = no

Yeah I don't see Nill making any quick fix trades here. The only moves I see are if a Seguin-type deal comes available - like a top pairing D or a top 6 forward who fits in to long term plans, or possibly something at the deadline depending on where we sit.

Horcoff - he's been fine overall. I have no complaints. We know his salary exceeds his value but let's put that aside. Re-sign him? I doubt it. If he was willing to sign a one year at say 1.5 or something then I suppose it's possible, but I think by the time next season is winding down we'll have other options.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I hope that Kevin Shattenkirk becomes available in the near future. He's stuck behind Piet and Bouwmeester and would be our #1 D man for sure.

aloonda*

I hope that Kevin Shattenkirk becomes available in the near future. He's stuck behind Piet and Bouwmeester and would be our #1 D man for sure.

they would be fools to leave him open

and the stars should be all over him

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
Eakin for Kulikov = no

Yeah I don't see Nill making any quick fix trades here. The only moves I see are if a Seguin-type deal comes available - like a top pairing D or a top 6 forward who fits in to long term plans, or possibly something at the deadline depending on where we sit.

Horcoff - he's been fine overall. I have no complaints. We know his salary exceeds his value but let's put that aside. Re-sign him? I doubt it. If he was willing to sign a one year at say 1.5 or something then I suppose it's possible, but I think by the time next season is winding down we'll have other options.

Agree with all of this... I don't expect us to make any moves unless its something huge. The team is playing very well right now, and Nill is a patient guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad