2013-14 Swedish Hockey Transactions

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
A huge bomb just dropped down by the swedish newspaper Aftonbladet saying Kovalev wants to finish his career on his own terms and that means: Either in Sweden or in Switzerland.

I must say that I have a pretty good knowledge or russian hockey and player mentality and there is something just about those 2 countries for the russian players if you look back at the choices of the last Soviet players, eventually they would all go to either Sweden och Switzerland after a few years in the NHL. Some examples are Krutov, Bykov and so on. They are fascinated of the environment of the two countries and they would go to small towns.
So. If this rumour is true, I would pick both Frölunda (Gothenburg) and AIK (Stockholm) off that list due to being big cities. For a player like Kovalev saying that, it must mean that he doesn´t care about the money and will pick the team just from what he prefers. My guess is either Skelleftea, Leksand or Modo; teams with great environment and either a great history or a great future.

If Kovalev decides to join Elitserien then the lifting of the maximum of 2 non-EU players per team rule was a huge success just by getting him.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
They must really see something in him. To me he's a good player, but nothing special.

He's a good player, but more importantly with room for improvement I'd say. Developing in Austria is not the same as Sweden or NA. He's probably not gonna have his best years for another 3-4 seasons.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
A huge bomb just dropped down by the swedish newspaper Aftonbladet saying Kovalev wants to finish his career on his own terms and that means: Either in Sweden or in Switzerland.

I must say that I have a pretty good knowledge or russian hockey and player mentality and there is something just about those 2 countries for the russian players if you look back at the choices of the last Soviet players, eventually they would all go to either Sweden och Switzerland after a few years in the NHL. Some examples are Krutov, Bykov and so on. They are fascinated of the environment of the two countries and they would go to small towns.
So. If this rumour is true, I would pick both Frölunda (Gothenburg) and AIK (Stockholm) off that list due to being big cities. For a player like Kovalev saying that, it must mean that he doesn´t care about the money and will pick the team just from what he prefers. My guess is either Skelleftea, Leksand or Modo; teams with great environment and either a great history or a great future.

If Kovalev decides to join Elitserien then the lifting of the maximum of 2 non-EU players per team rule was a huge success just by getting him.
He's very welcome in Skellefteå. With SK Lejon in division 1.

We might even name a cover band after him!
417901_326863194106205_246941633_n.jpg

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Joacim Eriksson ---> Vancouver
Holloway seems to be close to a deal with LA.

Stefan Steen and Sam Marklund are also under contract with Skellefteå. Will be interesting to see if we go for Steen as our #2 goalie or if we sign a new guy. (Rasmus Bengtsson, Arvid Lundberg and Anton Lindholm are practicing with the team but no word on contracts yet.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad