2013-14 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: #9

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I've never really cared about McNabb one way or another but I guess I can't really think of a good reason why

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I admit to not paying much attention to Baptiste beyond his obviously impressive numbers this year. Can somebody explain to me why he's the overwhelming choice at this point? I would have expected a more competitive race here.

Have people started to sour on McNabb?

I've never really cared about McNabb one way or another but I guess I can't really think of a good reason why

I sorta have. I never bought into the idea that he had top pair potential (which had been thrown around at some point) but now I just see him as a probably decent, bottom of the defensive depth chart player who will be eminently replaceable throughout his career.

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
McNabb by a hair here over Baptiste. I still think Brayden can play top-4 minutes in the NHL, while I'm not sold on Baptiste as a top-6 forward (yet, I'm getting there).

Add Hackett.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I admit to not paying much attention to Baptiste beyond his obviously impressive numbers this year. Can somebody explain to me why he's the overwhelming choice at this point? I would have expected a more competitive race here.

I sorta have. I never bought into the idea that he had top pair potential (which had been thrown around at some point) but now I just see him as a probably decent, bottom of the defensive depth chart player who will be eminently replaceable throughout his career.

I get the love -- I think he's got the basis to be a really excellent mid-line player given his speed and toolset. I don't have him at this spot, but his production and overall game should get him a lot of interest.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

His skill set was always obvious. He's probably the best skater of any Buffalo Sabres prospect. He's also a very physical player, and while not the biggest will likely top out at an above size NHL forward. He is very strong defensively a full 200 foot player, and in the U18 championship is which Canada upset the US, Baptiste was the player called upon to protect one goal leads in the semi's and finals in the last 30 seconds. He has strong leadership qualities as shown when he was designated an assistant captain at the age of 17 in the OHL.

And to top it all off he was the second leading scorer on the U18 team (after McDavid, ahead of Bennet and Reinhart) and is currently tearing up the OHL. His point per game numbers are the second best of any Sabres prospect trailing only Grigerenko by a small amount, and well ahead of other players. Indeed, offensively he is competing with many other first round picks from last year such as Horvat, Hartman, Dickinson, etc.

And of course he is an August bday, one of the youngest drafted players. Some of the prospects in this list are 5 years older, and the room to grow is more limited. Also remember he was the Sabres best player in the Traverse City tourney, arguably one the very best players on any team there, despite being about the youngest.

So top to bottom, he has no weaknesses (consistency and engagement issues sometimes, but that is also the nature of his role on his team), can play all situations and has a tonne of room to grow.

He was voted most underrated by coaches in the OHL last year. Now people are seeing why.

Aapo

Jan 16, 2011
Possler should be getting more love. 15 points in only 22 games in the SEL is damn impressive, and he has been elected to one of the four candidate spots for SEL rookie of the year.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Poll #9 Closed: Nick Baptiste, 52/89, 58.43% – Runner-up: Brayden McNabb, 17/89, 19.10% – Add: Matt Hackett.

Add votes were: Hackett-15, Florentino-6, Malone-5, Makarov-2, Locke-1, Sundher-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad