2013-14 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: #9

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I used the first ten eligible prospects from Kris Baker's February rankings for the opening poll. Per usual, after casting your vote, suggest one player from the remaining prospect pool to add to the next poll.

2013-14 Mid-Season Prospect Poll Results:
  • Poll #1: Rasmus Ristolainen, 84/121, 69.42% – Runner-up: Nikita Zadorov, 20/121, 16.53% – Add: Brayden McNabb
  • Poll #2: Nikita Zadorov, 77/103, 74.76% – Runner-up: Mikhail Grigorenko, 23/103, 22.33% – Add: Chad Ruhwedel
  • Poll #3: Mikhail Grigorenko, 77/96, 80.21% – Runner-up: JT Compher, 5/96, 5.21% – Add: Gustav Possler
  • Poll #4: Johan Larsson, 29/101, 28.71% – Runner-up: Joel Armia, 27/101, 26.73% – Add: Justin Bailey
  • Poll #5: Joel Armia, 47/107, 43.93% – Runner-up: Jake McCabe, 34/107, 31.78% – Add: Justin Kea
  • Poll #6: Jake McCabe, 56/107, 52.34% – Runner-up: JT Compher, 32/107, 29.91% – Add: Daniel Catenacci
  • Poll #7: JT Compher, 60/89, 67.42% – Runner-up: Linus Ullmark, 14/89, 15.73% – Add: Phil Varone
  • Poll #8: Linus Ullmark, 50/85, 58.82% – Runner-up: Nick Baptiste, 19/85, 22.35% – Add: Cal Petersen

F: Christian Isackson, Colin Jacobs, Eric Locke, Sean Malone, Brad Navin, Logan Nelson, Jonathan Parker, Judd Peterson, Tim Schaller, Kevin Sundher, Shawn Szydlowski.

D: Mark Adams, Brady Austin, Nick Crawford, Anthony Florentino, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, Matt MacKenzie.

G: Matt Hackett, Connor Knapp, Nathan Lieuwen, Andrey Makarov.

Eligibility Note: A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria. Thus, there are four subtractions from the last set of polls. Brian Flynn (80 GP) graduated, while Corey Tropp was claimed by Columbus. Zemgus Girgensons (56 GP) and Mark Pysyk (61 GP) also have "arrived" and could very well meet the 65 NHL GP graduating prospect threshold by the end of this set of polls.

Crawford, Hackett, Knapp, Ruhwedel, and Szydlowski are approaching the upper limit of the age criteria. I'd also project Hackett, McNabb, and Ruhwedel to be tendered offers as RFA's, while Crawford, Knapp, MacKenzie, Parker, and Szydlowski may not get another contract. Further, Buffalo holds the rights to Austin, Kea, Nelson, and Ullmark until June 1, 2014 and to Adams until August 15, 2014.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
For all the talk about goalies being so unpredictable people sure like to add their goalies. Really surprised that Petersen etc are getting in over guys like Florentino and Malone.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Baptiste, [edit: meant to add Florentino, not Malone]

For all the talk about goalies being so unpredictable people sure like to add their goalies. Really surprised that Petersen etc are getting in over guys like Florentino and Malone.

Based on the adds, Petersen is on track to be about #20...

Last edited:

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Baptiste, Malone

Based on the adds, Petersen is on track to be about #20...

I know, I was still surprised by how clearly he won his vote to get added. A player in the position that is the hardest to predict who played a good season in the weakest league any of our prospects is playing in, over two guys who are having surprisingly good freshman years in college (but who are getting very little press it seems) or a more established goalie in Hackett. Not saying that it wasn't a legitimate choice, it just surprised me.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
This is a pretty tough spot for me, I don't have a strong opinion on any of the guys that are going to be in the mix in the next few spots.

Hurley's not the kind of prospect that I usually consider this high but I guess I'll choose the long view with him.

Add Hackett.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I know, I was still surprised by how clearly he won his vote to get added. A player in the position that is the hardest to predict who played a good season in the weakest league any of our prospects is playing in, over two guys who are having surprisingly good freshman years in college (but who are getting very little press it seems) or a more established goalie in Hackett. Not saying that it wasn't a legitimate choice, it just surprised me.

I think the reason is he has higher upside as a starting goalie than Malone or Florentino do, no matter how unlikely he is to reach it. At this point, upside definitely wins out imo. In Hackett's case it's a matter of having two bad seasons in a row making things look a bit grim for him imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad