2013-14 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: #6

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Crazy that a point/game college freshman playing for a strong program won't be picked until #7 at the earliest. Probably a good sign.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
The mid-season polls can stay as is however for future prospect polls is there any chance of player stats being posted? In theory as fans we should all be educated enough to vote in this poll but maybe if people had player stats in front of them their opinion would change, rather than just voting for a recognizable name. Maybe only the last two or three years as well as where they are playing (NCAA/OHL/SHL/etc).

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Crazy that a point/game college freshman playing for a strong program won't be picked until #7 at the earliest. Probably a good sign.

Even more crazy the guy leading the the 3rd best league in the world in Save % at 20 years old is going to be ranked 8th. :laugh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Being so far away because of the college route hurts him in rankings

NCAA usually get less attention than CHL players in general, too. I have him #4 but really no one can complain about putting any of these guys ahead of him. Our pool lacks the game-breaking franchise guy necessary to be the best pool in the league, but the high-end depth is beyond anything I've been accustomed to as a Sabres fan.

While we're on the NCAA topic, he's one of three of our guys having prominent freshman seasons. That's quite a rare feat I'd think. Sixth-rounder Malone is putting up 5+12=17 in 25 for Harvard and fifth-round defenseman Florentino has 3+5=8 in 21 for Providence. McCabe, of course, had a good start as a freshman in Wisconsin himself.

Carving out legitimate roles for quality programs as true freshman bodes well for all of them as they take the next few years to round out their games and take on even larger roles. Next season we'll have Hurley and Petersen as teammates on Notre Dame and we'll be able to watch them often on NBCSN :nod:. I don't think Hurley will see a lot of ice there as a freshman, though.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Even more crazy the guy leading the the 3rd best league in the world in Save % at 20 years old is going to be ranked 8th. :laugh:

Not as crazy to me because it's much harder to determine how goalies should compare to skaters without even factoring in how much more unpredictable they are as prospects. I'd probably prefer if they were left out of the polls entirely.

I do have him #8 though, and Petersen #15 iirc

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Not as crazy to me because it's much harder to determine how goalies should compare to skaters without even factoring in how much more unpredictable they are as prospects. I'd probably prefer if they were left out of the polls entirely.

I do have him #8 though, and Petersen #15 iirc

I guess but the last guy to do what Ullmark is doing was Henrik. If he turns into that this poll in the future will look foolish. Goalies don't get enough respect.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I guess but the last guy to do what Ullmark is doing was Henrik. If he turns into that this poll in the future will look foolish. Goalies don't get enough respect.

My thing with Ullmark is this:

We've seen goalies have one great season and then nothing or next to nothing (Jim Carey, Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft, etc).

If I see it two years in a row, then he'll REALLY shoot up my rankings.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
He hasn't had a great go of it in the AHL so far, but it could just be a down year or struggling to adjust. His track record in juniors is excellent. If people can still rank Armia as high as 3rd-4th with his play in Rochester, Catenacci still certainly deserves to be as well regarded as he was before this season.

For me, I may have been a bit unrealistic in my expectations for Cat. I figured he'd be the kind of player that would earn a callup by the end of this year, which obviously isn't happening. I think his drop in this polls will be mostly due to the fact that we had 5 top 60 picks in the last draft. There's a lot of similar talent (if not more talented) guys who are now being tossed into these polls.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

We've seen goalies have one great season and then nothing or next to nothing (Jim Carey, Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft, etc).

Yeah that's very true. I'm fine with the rankings the way they have been going. Armia is a tad high but overall I am satisfied with these so far. Just seeing Compher and Ullmark go 7 and 8 just shows how deep this prospect pool is!

Last edited:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

18 years old (draft year):
MODO J20: 25 GP - 2.76/.918
MODO: 3 GP - 3.24/.889

19 years old:
MODO J20: 23 GP - 2.04/.924
MODO: 6 GP - 2.07/.934
Mora (Allsvenskan): 6 GP - 2.10/.904
WJC: 2 GP - 1.37/.920
- J20 Best Goaltender Award
- MODO J20 won the silver medal (I assume that's the loser of the league finals?)

20 years old (this season):
MODO: 30 GP - 1.97/.935

The sample sizes aren't great but you can see the clear progression at the junior level between his 18 and 19 year old seasons. Then you can see the jump from a standout juniors season where he also had a strong showing in his pro taste to this fantastic debut pro season. Can't say how he'll develop as an NHL goalie but this isn't a flash in the pan; last season alone started getting my hopes up going into this season.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
18 years old (draft year):
MODO J20: 25 GP - 2.76/.918
MODO: 3 GP - 3.24/.889

19 years old:
MODO J20: 23 GP - 2.04/.924
MODO: 6 GP - 2.07/.934
Mora (Allsvenskan): 6 GP - 2.10/.904
WJC: 2 GP - 1.37/.920
- J20 Best Goaltender Award
- MODO J20 won the silver medal (I assume that's the loser of the league finals?)

20 years old (this season):
MODO: 30 GP - 1.97/.935

The sample sizes aren't great but you can see the clear progression at the junior level between his 18 and 19 year old seasons. Then you can see the jump from a standout juniors season where he also had a strong showing in his pro taste to this fantastic debut pro season. Can't say how he'll develop as an NHL goalie but this isn't a flash in the pan; last season alone started getting my hopes up going into this season.

Hes going to be in the top 10. Its great to see how deep this prospect pool is.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
1. Ristolainen
2. Zadarov
3. Grigorenko
4. Compher
5. McCabe
6. Larsson
7. McNabb
8. Ruhwedel
9. Armia
10. Baptiste
11. Ullmark
12. Possler
13. Hurley
14. Bailey
15. Kea

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Last year's goalie of the year performance for MODO J-20 in the SuperElit league doesn't count or...?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Poll #6 Closed: Jake McCabe, 56/107, 52.34% – Runner-up: JT Compher, 32/107, 29.91% – Add: Daniel Catenacci.

Add votes were: Catenacci-12, Varone-12, Petersen-9, Hackett-1, Lieuwen-1, Locke-1, Makarov-1, Malone-1. I broke the tie by using Bakes' rankings, which was an add vote for Catenacci based on his February rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad