Speculation: 2013-14 Hurricanes Trade Talk Part 3

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
No one's going to trade for Cam right now because of his contract and while Peters had a nice hot run he still didn't do enough to convince the teams around the league that he could be a full time NHL goalie. Khudobin is the only one I think could get us something useful in return (though it probably won't be that much as he's a UFA) but on the other hand he's the one that we'd also be most interested to keep here.

The tough part is deciding whether we trade Khudobin now and continue with Ward as the number one goalie here or sign him and try to unload someone else later with the good possibility that he walks in the summer.

There is talk of interest in Martin Brodeur. Multiple teams. I know salary is a big concern, but $6.3 for 2 more years isn't a franchise crippling gamble compared to the market for goaltenders with a resume like Cam's. He's going to be 30 tomorrow, so there's no real reason to suspect he's done. I mean if worse came to worse, a buyout for Cam's contract would be $2.25 million in real money for 4 years and a cap hit of $1.75 next season, $1.85 the year after, and $2.25 for the last two. Do you think a team like Edmonton would bat an eye at that? I personally don't think so.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think ward has more value than we're givng him credit for. He's been a number one goalie for years and has hit a rough patch with injuries. We have not been a good defensive team for years. Look how much acrobatics khudo has to pull off just to keep us in games! We blame ward but i doubt the rest of the league does. Hes a pretty standard "needs a fresh start" player.

Bottom line is we can move him, the real question is would jr trade cam? Will he get khudo signed? If i was khudo's agent i would be asking for the moon, putting jr in a tight spot. We trade ward and khudo has a blank check in his pocket.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Bottom line is we can move him, the real question is would jr trade cam? Will he get khudo signed? If i was khudo's agent i would be asking for the moon, putting jr in a tight spot. We trade ward and khudo has a blank check in his pocket.

Aye, this is a delicate situation that Rutherford must handle very carefully.

He's going to **** this up, isn't he?:(

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
it depends on what Khudobin himself wants. I would be surprised if he is willing to compromise at this point, and either Rutherford signs him to the contract he wants or he goes to free agency. Khudobin is in the drivers seat now and he has finally earned it. sounds like his career has been somewhat of a struggle. congrats to the guy. it's a nice story actually.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Aye, this is a delicate situation that Rutherford must handle very carefully.

He's going to **** this up, isn't he?:(

oh-my-yes.jpg

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think Ward is done, unless he just keeps falling apart a la Rick DiPietro. But I do think he's done here in similar fashion to Gleason. I don't think it is impossible for him to get it together here, but I think it is much more likely for him to get it together, and quickly, with another franchise. Hopefully he will be open to any trade possibility that we might find in order to get his career back on track, and hopefully we can find one so we don't have to try and buy him out. Within reason, I wouldn't even mind exploring including another asset with him just to get out from that cap hit, and hope that we recoup those assets in other trades at the deadline and in the offseason. We need a big retool and some big impact moves for the future.

We are in a hell of a tough spot. I sit and try and think about what we should do, and it's hard to really figure it out. Even the moves we obviously want to get done are not ones that are going to be easy to find a partner for. Hopefully the rumors out there that there is a big appetite this deadline for deals, and hockey deals will prove true and we can make some big sweeping changes. If we can't have the playoffs yet again this year, we need to have something new and big to look forward to for once.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Like i said, our offensive core is not that bad at all. You can build easily around EStaal, JStaal, Semin, Skinner and Lindholm... but our D is just a joke. You cannot be a winner with couple of second pairing guys and some pylons, that's just the truth. Faulk is great young talent but he's not franchise dman. Sekera is underrated guy but he's not close to be dominant #1. In ideal world, that's the second pairing.

Defense, defense and defense. You start from there. We have core from offensive standpoint.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
FWIW, in his segment during the 1st intermission of the Buffalo game on the NHL Network, Dreger stated that it would require a significant package, or something to that effect, to land Ward.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
FWIW, in his segment during the 1st intermission of the Buffalo game on the NHL Network, Dreger stated that it would require a significant package, or something to that effect, to land Ward.

Miller going off the market means that Ward might be the best "available" goaltender remaining by resume unless you count Rocking Chair Marty. That makes him the defacto prize. Throw in a Conn Smythe and a ridiculous run in '09 and you've got a recipe for what appears to be a playoff stalwart.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Miller going off the market means that Ward might be the best "available" goaltender remaining by resume unless you count Rocking Chair Marty. That makes him the defacto prize. Throw in a Conn Smythe and a ridiculous run in '09 and you've got a recipe for what appears to be a playoff stalwart.

This summer's David Clarkson?:sarcasm:

Good Lord, if we could get a bidding war going for Ward...:D

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Like i said, our offensive core is not that bad at all. You can build easily around EStaal, JStaal, Semin, Skinner and Lindholm... but our D is just a joke. You cannot be a winner with couple of second pairing guys and some pylons, that's just the truth. Faulk is great young talent but he's not franchise dman. Sekera is underrated guy but he's not close to be dominant #1. In ideal world, that's the second pairing.

Defense, defense and defense. You start from there. We have core from offensive standpoint.

A dominant defenseman is just what this team needs but to get one you need a ton of luck and skill to draft and develope one. And with JR's tendency to avoid drafting high rated defensemen I think we all know that ain't going to happen here as long as this management is around. Getting one from the free agent market or via trade takes a lot of assets and money.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
A dominant defenseman is just what this team needs but to get one you need a ton of luck and skill to draft and develope one. And with JR's tendency to avoid drafting high rated defensemen I think we all know that ain't going to happen here as long as this management is around. Getting one from the free agent market or via trade takes a lot of assets and money.

That or just take a note from the Oilers playbook and play bad for Ekblad. :sarcasm:

(FWIW, I don't think he'll be as good as Jones)

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
Basically Oilers, Islanders, Flames? I could see the Islanders going for it because they cannot afford to suck again next year, they would hope Ward would regain form. God help us.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
They should resign Hainsey and give him "А". Seriously.

Or trade him with Tlusty in package for Bartkowski/ Soderberg or Eriksson. Won't happen, so keep him.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Congratulations to me!

Seriously though, why do the majority here want to hold on to Hainsey so bad? Because he's be difficult to replace? Isn't that the same reason we wound up with Ruutu and Gleason on moronic long term deals. Hell I used that reasoning when they signed as to why it wasn't the worst idea in the world. Fool me once.....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00