2013-14 Hockey East/NCAA Hockey Discussion Thread

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Anyone pay attention to Hockey East?

I am a BU and PC fan. I've been pretty disappointed with BU's season so far, but it looks like that is turning around. I expected Providence to be alot better this year than in year's past thanks to improved recruiting.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Go Friars.

Hoping with the strong goaltending PC can make a run to the frozen four.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Upset weekend. BU beat North Dakota last night, Umass Lowell has beaten Notre Dame, and UNH beat Providence last night.

Last edited:

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Terrier alum.

They've taken some attrition hits....it's a very young team, with I believe only 7 upperclassmen on the roster? Plus, new coach, new system. Obviously Parker's prints are still on the team, but David Quinn certainly has a coaching style that focuses heavily on the technical specs.

Something to remember about the Hockey East schedules this year; conference games go from 27 to 20, and as such, teams will see more non-conference opponents. For example, BU added games against North Dakota and Wiscy, two WCHA recent national champs.

They'll be on the cusp of making the NCAA's but it's a year to really solidify the new incoming freshmen. All I want to see is progress and growth. The win last night against the Sioux is exactly the kind of win I'm hoping for.

I also grew up a Minnesota Gopher fan, so I've always got an eye west to see how they're doing in the new Big 10 hockey conference. Not surprisingly, the cupboards are stocked again.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Terrier alum.

They've taken some attrition hits....it's a very young team, with I believe only 7 upperclassmen on the roster? Plus, new coach, new system. Obviously Parker's prints are still on the team, but David Quinn certainly has a coaching style that focuses heavily on the technical specs.

Something to remember about the Hockey East schedules this year; conference games go from 27 to 20, and as such, teams will see more non-conference opponents. For example, BU added games against North Dakota and Wiscy, two WCHA recent national champs.

They'll be on the cusp of making the NCAA's but it's a year to really solidify the new incoming freshmen. All I want to see is progress and growth. The win last night against the Sioux is exactly the kind of win I'm hoping for.

I also grew up a Minnesota Gopher fan, so I've always got an eye west to see how they're doing in the new Big 10 hockey conference. Not surprisingly, the cupboards are stocked again.

Very excited to see Jack Eichel (my avatar) play with BU in the coming years. I was bummed when they decided to have less conference games, but I guess seeing teams like North Dakota and Wisconsin is not a bad thing.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Very excited to see Jack Eichel (my avatar) play with BU in the coming years. I was bummed when they decided to have less conference games, but I guess seeing teams like North Dakota and Wisconsin is not a bad thing.

Pluses and minuses to the scheduling decision. I like seeing the other conferences as you'll see more styles of hockey....it's a benefit to those teams who will eventually find themselves playing in the NCAA's but there are some fun HE rivalries you always want to see more of.

Of note for Bruin fans tonight; Sioux goaltender tonight is Zane Gothberg, Bruin prospect. Like the Terriers, he's got a young team in front of him experiencing some growing pains, so his numbers are a little decieving....he's a pretty solid net minder.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I am a BC fan. For as great as they've been, seems like the recruiting is still getting better. On paper, best class in the country this year and some great prospects lined up for the future.

I don't expect any one team to run away with the league this year. Not sure if there's a "great" team in the bunch, but a lot of good teams in the mix.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I wish they would televise more Hockey East games in the Boston area. Seems kind of nonsensical that we have a better chance of seeing a Minnesota game on cable than we do BC/BU/NU/Harvard etc.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I wish they would televise more Hockey East games in the Boston area. Seems kind of nonsensical that we have a better chance of seeing a Minnesota game on cable than we do BC/BU/NU/Harvard etc.
Even more so because Bruins draftees (Grzelcyk and Fitzgerald) are with BU and BC respectively.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
BC and BU also have a very heaving following in the city proper.

Hockey East should give NESN better ratings than running re-runs of Charlie Moore.
The following is farther reaching than just the city proper. With the alumni of those two universities spread far and wide around New England and beyond, plus the fans of college hockey in general, NESN should have a large audience. Personally, I can't stand Charlie Moore and can't understand the interest.

Old Time Sauce

Oct 8, 2008
People need to start paying attention to the boys up north in Orono! After a rough start, theyve had two big wins againts BU 7-0 and BC 5-1. Their goalie Ouellette has looked great recently and Shore is one of the most dangerous players in hockey east.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Avatar says it all. Friars season ticket holder. Wasn't too disappointed with the UNH split, UNH came in hot so I was kind of expecting it. Scary moment for the Friars when Gillies left the game after 2 periods with what I think was a tweaked hamstring. It was a big sigh of relief to see him back between the pipes on Saturday. Gillies is the backbone of that team, but junior Ross Mauermann has been very impressive leading the offensive charge. The renovations at Schneider has provided a much needed upgrade both for the players and for the fan experience. Potential top 5 battle coming up on the road at Quinnipiac the night before Thanksgiving (awesome time for a game, no way I'm making it to Hamden, CT that night).

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
PC student here. I knew providence was going to be good this year but wow have they really excelled. Gillies is best goalie in NCAA. defense is absolutely solid for no real big names back there. Ross has been heart and soul of team while playing amazing but whole offense has been great. plus Noel Acciari popping in goals like the Merlot line is great. CT kid and will be going to PC/QU game and couldnt be more excited. hockey east is great this year and really interesting. should be a gerat season

RealKrug47*

Let's go Riverhawks! meh start to the season but, after a recent road trip we've been moving on up. Hope they repeat

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I usually root for UNH but my younger daughter started at Northeastern this year and so I also want them to do well. From what my oldest (at unh) has said-this year's squad isn't quite as good as last year's (Goumas started the season still feeling the concussion from the head shot last year) but she says there is a really good freshman.

I wish NESN would show more Hockey East games. I would watch them-I enjoy college hockey.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Jon Gillies is doing something special down at PC.

Great kid...class act...Flames got themselves a good one and spoke volumes for what they see in Gillies down the road that they traded a very good prospect in Laurent Brossoit.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
PC student here. I knew providence was going to be good this year but wow have they really excelled. Gillies is best goalie in NCAA. defense is absolutely solid for no real big names back there. Ross has been heart and soul of team while playing amazing but whole offense has been great. plus Noel Acciari popping in goals like the Merlot line is great. CT kid and will be going to PC/QU game and couldnt be more excited. hockey east is great this year and really interesting. should be a gerat season

As a student there can you tell me why the student section is so quiet at Schneider (I'm not trying to sarcastic or demeaning). I mean when BU brought their fans they took over the building, all 50 of them. I know PC is a bball school and even though I have the hockey season tickets I can get caught up in the bball team. The students are showing up so that's a step in the right direction, hell Schneider is selling out sometimes. I'm going to PC in the fall but as an MBA student. Oh and to Son of Marshmont you're absolutely right, not many goalies scare me when the Friars have Gillies but Connor Hellebuyck is the one goalie who can go toe to toe with Gillies. Love how this Friars team can comfortably roll four lines kind of like an NHL team I'm familiar with It'll be interesting to see how Mingoria will fit in with this team. I think we'll get our first look at him vs Quinnipiac as he couldn't play during first semester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad