So, we have

Dion - true two-way / top-2

Gunnar - Offensive/two-way / top-4
Franson - Offensive / top-4
Rielly - Offensive / top-4
Gardiner - Offensive / top-4

Fraser - Defensive / bottom-pairing
Ranger - Defensive / bottom-pairing

Ranger may be able to regain some form and push into a defensive defender capable of a 2nd pairing load but the book is still out on him. So what remains is 4 of a very similar type of player, which is why IMO we need to look for a different top-4 or top-pairing D. Gunnar has been able to log top-pairing minutes because he's mobile and not small, but everyone would agree he has good and bad games and is not a true top-pairing defender. The Swedish team even declined to invite him to their summer camp this year... and indication that perhaps he's reached his potential.

To accomplish this deal we're looking at pairing up Gunnar, Gardiner or Franson with a forward, likely Kulemin, Ashton, or perhaps another defender in Holzer or Brennan, and a pick, probably a 2nd or 3rd. It's just a waiting game now for Nonis - wait for the opportunity to present itself.

Girardi / Klein / Bieksa / Michalek / Mitchell / Regher (unlikely) / Macdonald / Smid / Coburn

Kulemin, Franson, Gunnarsson
for
Laich and Carlson

Kulemin, Franson, Gunnarson
for
Paul Martin, Sutter

Kulemin, Franson, Gunnarson, Liles
for
Hedman, Brewer, Ohlund (Might need some Cap work for Lightning)

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Seriously bad trade by Edmonton... it absolutely HAS to be the precursor to another move or moves. They had the capspace to sign Bryz to $1.75M anyway. Tampa, Florida, Columbus, New York, all would have been able to pony decent offers.

If that's truly all they were able to get without taking salary back, then wow.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So, Ladislav Smid for Bryzgalov..... stupid Oilers

Maybe Horak being a good defensive forward was part of the lure since the Oilers are more about offense and lack that defense first youngster.

Don't forget the Oilers know what Brossoit is all about.

We'll have to see if there are any unusual scratches in today's Flyers-Oilers game.

JMcLeaf

Maybe Horak being a good defensive forward was part of the lure since the Oilers are more about offense and lack that defense first youngster.

Don't forget the Oilers know what Brossoit is all about.

We'll have to see if there are any unusual scratches in today's Flyers-Oilers game.

EDMONTON OILERS SCRATCHES
Will Acton
Ryan Jones

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS SCRATCHES
Hal Gill
Andrej Meszaros
Kris Newbury

Blockbuster deal incoming!!!!!

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
for
Laich and Carlson

for
Paul Martin, Sutter

for

Defense line up with each of those Trades:

1st trade:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Carlson
Ranger - Fraser

2nd trade:

Martin - Phaneuf
Rielly - Ranger
Gardiner - Fraser

3rd trade:

Hedman - Phaneuf
Rielly - Brewer
Gardiner - Fraser

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Defense line up with each of those Trades:

1st trade:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Carlson
Ranger - Fraser

2nd trade:

Martin - Phaneuf
Rielly - Ranger
Gardiner - Fraser

3rd trade:

Hedman - Phaneuf
Rielly - Brewer
Gardiner - Fraser

Gunnarsson is apparently no loss, and Franson is a mistake machine.

Carlson - 23 minutes a game : Under contract for 5 years
Martin - 25+ minutes a game : Kind of old but playing top minutes
Hedman 6'6", 22 years old. : Would grow with the team. (Kulemin fits in with their large Russian system)

Promote TJ Brennan

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
for
Laich and Carlson

for
Paul Martin, Sutter

for

Intriguing deals. I can't see Tampa parting with Hedman, but I do like the concept.

But I really like the Pittsburgh trade. I've been hoping a Sutter-Kulemin trade was in the works all summer. McClement can play the wing and Sutter would likely fight it out with Kadri for #1 and #2C duties all year. Really like that trade. No telling how Pittsburgh feels about it, but I have a feeling Franson would thrive in Pittsburgh.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Hedman 6'6", 22 years old. : Would grow with the team. (Kulemin fits in with their large Russian system)

Promote TJ Brennan

Agreed on all fronts. Only a matter of time before Brennan sees NHL action.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Promote TJ Brennan

Is Martin better than both Franson and Gunnarson combined?

Also doing that trade forces Carlyle to play either Fraser or Ranger as second pairing Dman. Don't get me wrong, I actually like Martin, Carlson and Hedman, but our second pairing would take a hit.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is Martin better than both Franson and Gunnarson combined?

Also doing that trade forces Carlyle to play either Fraser or Ranger as second pairing Dman. Don't get me wrong, I actually like Martin, Carlson and Hedman, but our second pairing would take a hit.

Defense is a team responsibility, so we should look at the overall team impact, not focus on just the one position.

Look at the Sutter and Martin impact.

Sutter is RFA, and just 24 years old.

I think Franson is easier to replace than some expect.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Our main focus should be replacing Bozak with a top 6 center and acquiring a solid top 4 Dman.

Can Martin and Sutter be those players?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Our main focus should be replacing Bozak with a top 6 center and acquiring a solid top 4 Dman.

Can Martin and Sutter be those players?

I'm all for trading for a #1 center.

I'd offer up:

Kulemin, Kadri, Gardiner and a 1st. for top end center, and add more 1st. rounders for a true top 15 center.

Of course it can be argued that none of those players would be missed and so it isn't really a lot to give up.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

I'd offer up:

Kulemin, Kadri, Gardiner and a 1st. for top end center, and add more 1st. rounders for a true top 15 center.

Of course it can be argued that none of those players would be missed and so it isn't really a lot to give up.

:laugh:

I never said it would be easy to obtain such pieces.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
You know Ohlund can't play hockey anymore, correct?

And all three of those trades would get rejected.

Mapleleafs Fan*

I'd offer up:

If we are parting with that many players I would rather force for Duchene with this.

Kadri, Rielly, Kulemin may be 1st for Duchene.

It will just create 1 hole in wing, Reilly is gonna be a healthy scratch any ways. Kulemin can be replaced by Leivo or Ashton easily. But the real impact would be Duchene with Kessel and JVR. Also he is signed for decent 6 mil next 5 years' contract with this year's 3.5 mil.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Having Kadri on the second line with Lupul really balances the team's scoring IMO

JVR - ______ - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - ______

Not that I don't love Duchene but the Leafs don't really need to stack their top line ... JVR and Kessel are producing more than enough with the two of them on the same line

I'd focus on finding a centre with good defensive acumen, some size with good skating, but with better finish than Bozak (and one who isn't afraid to shoot)

That second line wing spot I like keep open for flexibility - again Lupul and Kadri can produce well enough on their own on that line .. Clarkson, Raymond, Kulemin, Leivo, etc can all be effective in that spot on a rotating basis depending on health and who is hot

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Having Kadri on the second line with Lupul really balances the team's scoring IMO

JVR - ______ - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - ______

Not that I don't love Duchene but the Leafs don't really need to stack their top line ... JVR and Kessel are producing more than enough with the two of them on the same line

I'd focus on finding a centre with good defensive acumen, some size with good skating, but with better finish than Bozak (and one who isn't afraid to shoot)

That second line wing spot I like keep open for flexibility - again Lupul and Kadri can produce well enough on their own on that line .. Clarkson, Raymond, Kulemin, Leivo, etc can all be effective in that spot on a rotating basis depending on health and who is hot

Bozak can easily replace Kadri on the 2nd. line.

Mapleleafs Fan*

JVR - ______ - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - ______

Duchene can do all of it. His skating has been far beyond elite this year and his coverage of puck has been much much improved. He has created many turn overs and steals.

I don't know everybody agrees here, but Duchene can make a whole another level of impact. All the good teams have a legit no. 1 center who can carry the puck out of their own zone. We don't have no body. That's why we are easily being out shot every game, and owned by good teams.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Duchene can do all of it. His skating has been far beyond elite this year and his coverage of puck has been much much improved. He has created many turn overs and steals.

I don't know everybody agrees here, but Duchene can make a whole another level of impact. All the good teams have a legit no. 1 center who can carry the puck out of their own zone. We don't have no body. That's why we are easily being out shot every game, and owned by good teams.

Duchene is not going anywhere. No point in even discussing this further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad