2013-14 Avatar Unity Thread

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The new season is nearly upon us, and it's about time for avatar unity discussion.

My idea is this. On July 5, Nathan Horton signed in Columbus. This was responded to by a certain commentator, who said "it’s like going to Green Acres". On July 19, the new divisions and names were rolled out, with Columbus being assigned to the Metropolitan. Columbus is either the smallest or second-smallest metro area in the new division, and the furthest west by a substantial margin.

"Green Acres" was about a couple who moved from the big city to the farm. This doesn't apply. "The Beverly Hillbillies", on the other hand, was about a backwoods family who struck it rich and moved up to the big city.

I propose that there be avatars built around the idea of "The Metropolitan Hillbillies". Nothing too complex, just a two-frame black and white animation. The first one would have the front office and coaching staff in the old jalopy, with Davidson driving and Kekalainen beside him. Up top would be Todd Richards and Stinger.

The second panel would be a black-and-white roster pic of current players, only accessorized with a straw hat or corncob pipe (or both). The names themselves would be slightly more down-home...I'm thinking Jethro Boll, Cletus Atkinson, Forrest Tyutin, Delroy Prout, and Robert E. Umberger (among others).

Among posters here who I've asked about it, reaction has been mixed. The idea has been largely lauded, while there are questions about the execution and the failure of previous avatar unity efforts.

What says the rest of the board?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Avatar Disunity worked pretty damn well down the stretch last year.

Let's not do anything. We don't care, and it shows!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Samkow is against avatar unity? Shocking! ;)

Personally, having given it more thought, I'm inclined to suggest that avatar unity be something that you earn by making the playoffs.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Samkow is against avatar unity? Shocking! ;)

Personally, having given it more thought, I'm inclined to suggest that avatar unity be something that you earn by making the playoffs.

Mainly because it makes it really difficult to tell who everybody is if they all have essentially the same avatar. Even you have to admit that.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

I agree, Mayor. It's a fun idea, but it really hasn't worked well for us in the recent past. I remember thinking of doing an officer bobrovsky badge thing for everyone last year, but, correctly so, folks here put the kibosh on it - and I'm glad they did. Never F with a winning streak / momentum. I'm abstaining.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
My problem with some avatar unities is that they lack humor and promote conformity rather than creativity. This one seems better but Green Acres is limiting. How about Cows?

And is it too soon? They're more fun when we start tanking.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I can't stand it when I turn on the TV for a game and see all the home fans wearing the same shirts. "White Out Night" or whatever. Not my cup of tea, and "avatar unity" seems like an HF version of that.

I like everyone doing their own thing. :dunno:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Mainly because it makes it really difficult to tell who everybody is if they all have essentially the same avatar. Even you have to admit that.

Please. I don't have to admit anything I don't want to. RJ Umberger discussions should have taught you that by now, if nothing else. :)
HE'S A SECOND LINER G-DDAMNIT

Personally, I go for this wild and radical method called "looking at names". But I'll acknowledge (NOT "admit" ;) ) that avatars make for a useful shortcut.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Since avatar unity does no good, I'll pass. Never got this fad, but enjoy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad