WJC: 2012 WJC Discussion Thread

Fulcrum

2012 WJHC Discussion Thread
Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

It's that time of the year again and the discussions are starting to heat-up on individual country forums. We can bring the international discussions together on this thread.

Group A
Russia
Sweden
Switzerland
Slovakia
Latvia

All Group A Round-Robin games played in Saddledome, Calgary
PengrowthSaddledomeNight.jpg

Group B
Canada
United States
Finland
Czech Republic
Denmark

All Group B Round-Robin games played in Rexall Place, Edmonton

Rexall-Place-Night_%28c%29FotoHeimoKramer.jpg

Mon, Dec 26
MATCHUP TIME (ET/PT)
CAN vs. FIN 3:30pm/12:30pm
SWE vs. LAT 5:30pm/2:30pm
US vs. DEN 8pm/5pm
RUS vs. SUI 10pm/7pm

Tuesday, December 27
DEN vs. CZE 8pm/5pm
LAT vs. SVK 10pm/7pm

Wednesday, December 28
FIN vs. US 3:30pm/12:30pm
SUI vs. SWE 5:30pm/2:30pm
CZE vs. CAN 8pm/5pm
SVK vs. RUS 10pm/7pm

Thursday, December 29

CAN vs. DEN 8pm/5pm
RUS vs. LAT 10pm/7pm

Friday, December 30
CZE vs. US 3:30pm/12:30pm
SVK vs. SWE 5:30pm/2:30pm
DEN vs. FIN 8pm/5pm
LAT vs. SUI 10pm/7pm

Saturday, December 31
FIN vs. CZE 4pm/1pm
SUI vs. SVK 6pm/3pm
US vs. CAN 8pm/5pm
SWE vs. RUS 10pm/7pm

Monday, January 2 RELEGATION ROUND

It looks to be an incredibly competitive tournament this year, with countries such as Finland, Sweden, Russia and even Czech Republic bringing very strong and talented rosters. And of course US and Canada are as strong as ever.

There are many questions that will be answered:
-Will Canada need help from NHL to win this one?
-Who is going to be the top scorer? Granlund? Kuznetsov? Anyone else?
-Best Goalie of the Tournament?

Could this be the year where we may see the European nations dissapoint the NA fans, or would Canada and US find themselves on top once again?

Last edited by a moderator:

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I'm once again unhappy that NHL players aren't all released for this tournament. Imagine Canada with Seguin, Skinner, Johansen, Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier etc. I'd like to see the best teams there.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I'm once again unhappy that NHL players aren't all released for this tournament. Imagine Canada with Seguin, Skinner, Johansen, Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier etc. I'd like to see the best teams there.

It is the same every year.

My predicted Top 5 finish...

Canada
Russia
Finland
U.S.
Sweden

Fulcrum

It is the same every year, but I must say, NHL (teams) is not winning any extra fans by denying the youngsters to play a once (maybe twice) in a lifetime tournament. And denying the fans to see true best on best.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I'm curious, which nation holds the record for the youngest roster iced in WC? I'm asking, because I'm willing to bet, that Latvia will smash that one this year.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Does anybody know which team is more likely to stay up, Latvia or Denmark?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Does anybody know which team is more likely to stay up, Latvia or Denmark?

I have an opinion, but I guess that Danes on this forum won't share the same sentiment. :)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It is the same every year, but I must say, NHL (teams) is not winning any extra fans by denying the youngsters to play a once (maybe twice) in a lifetime tournament. And denying the fans to see true best on best.

Best on best would ruin this tournament. The age window is too small. Depth is an even bigger factor with such a small window.

As it currently stands, this tournament often gives us four teams that are relatively close and can win, with a few others that can make some noise. There are always some great games. No need to mess with it.

This year I would say that any of Canada, USA, Finland, Russia or Sweden could win gold. Should be a fun tournament to watch once again.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Don't think we can beat Russia or Sweden at quaterfinal so the best chance for the bronze medal is win vs. States which would likely mean Slovakia/Switzerland as the quaterfinal opponent.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
goalie Mrazek can play at WJC. He was banned to play for national team by Vitkovice in past.

shak

Dec 3, 2011
Anyone know where to get an Eberle Team Canada World Jrs. jersey? I've been looking for one for a really long time. It's even hard to find on ebay.

I feel like I may need to just buy a blank one and then get it customized. If that's the case, anyone know where to get a cheap Team Canada World Jrs. blank jersey?

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Looks like group A got the coolest building;)
SWE vs. RUS 10pm ET = 3 am CET gj who ever planned the schedule there might actually be people not drunk enough to watch it when they get home from their respective partys this year :laugh:

Edit: oh nvm it was 4 am....

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It´s pretty incredible how fast it´s possible to fall in love with this tournament. A few years back I didn´t even know it existed and now I can´t imagine my Christmas without it. :)

EDIT: Would it be possible to also post the CET times for the games for us poor European folks?

BLBarmada

Nicklas Jensen is going to be a beast for Denmark. Count on it.

Definitely, he impressed me when Denmark played a few Q teams, I was at one of them he had a 4 point night and was threatening all night long.

BLBarmada

It´s pretty incredible how fast it´s possible to fall in love with this tournament. A few years back I didn´t even know it existed and now I can´t imagine my Christmas without it. :)

EDIT: Would it be possible to also post the CET times for the games for us poor European folks?

This, I watched the gold medal game in 2006, it's was the first time I heard of this tournament and now I've watched it every year since.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sweden seems to be rotating between all the Nations for the New Years Eve game. Haven't lost in it since the 2007 tournament against USA in OT, and has since played Czechs, Russia, Finland, Canada. Time for Russia again, should be the best game by far in the group stage for us, and likely for the group win. Very unfortunate starting time this year though..

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Finnish starting time for Finland vs. Czech republic 11pm at New Years eve :laugh:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad