2012 Spengler Cup (Champions: Team Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisholm20

Mar 26, 2011
Schedule

Group Torriani
Date | CET | EST | Matchup | Final
Dec. 26|15:00|9:00 AM|Gottéron vs. Ufa| 5-1
Dec. 27|15:00|9:00 AM|Vítkovice vs. Ufa| 4-5 OT
Dec. 28|15:00|9:00 AM|Gottéron vs. Vítkovice| 1-2

Group Cattini
Dec. 26|20:15|2:15 PM|Team Canada vs. Mannheim| 1-2 OT
Dec. 27|20:15|2:15 PM|Davos vs. Team Canada| 0-5
Dec. 28|20:15|2:15 PM|Mannheim vs. Davos| 2-6

Quarterfinals
Dec. 29|15:00|9:00 AM|Gottéron vs. Mannheim|5-2
Dec. 29|20:15|2:15 PM|Davos vs. Ufa|-

Semifinals
Dec. 30|15:00|9:00 AM|Team Canada vs. Mannheim|-
Dec. 30|20:15|2:15 PM|Vítkovice vs. Winner of QF2|-

Final
Dec. 31|12:00|6:00 AM|Winner of SF 1 vs. Winner of SF2|-

###

Can Canada stack a team for the Spengler Cup if the lockout is still ongoing?

Last edited by a moderator:

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
Team Canada just confirmed they will add NHL player currently playing in Switzerland.
Brad Pascall said, all of the players confirmed that they will play for Canada. That should be a really stacked team:

Seguin
Spezza
Tavares
Ennis
Laich
Bergeron
Spurgeon
Couture

Zetterberg might play for Davos along with Rick Nash and Joe Thornton.

Stansfield*

I believe during the last lockout, Canada lost in the final to Davos with Nash and Thornton on their team. :laugh:

NicoSB

Sep 18, 2012
In 2004 Team Canada didn't reach the finals. Instead they finished third in group stage and actually beat HC Davos after penalties (read here). But the roster was without lockout players such as Heatly or Briere.

I'd really like to see a match beteewn UFA and Team Canada :handclap:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
In 2004 Team Canada didn't reach the finals. Instead they finished third in group stage and actually beat HC Davos after penalties (read here). But the roster was without lockout players such as Heatly or Briere.

I'd really like to see a match beteewn UFA and Team Canada :handclap:

Filatov will kill team Canada with all the NHLers in the world:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dfire

Oct 17, 2008
Mannheim could play a good role with the german lockout players (D Seidenberg, M Goc + maybe J Hecht) and additions from the nearby 2nd tier clubs Heilbronn (J Bernier, B Gervais) and Bietigheim (J Bailey, TJ Galiardi).

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
Crosby wants to play for Team Canada

Pat Brisson called Team Canada coach Doug Shedden about Crosby at the Spengler Cup. Crosby wants to play for Team Canada. Only problem (as always): He has to pay his insurance by himself. All the other players got european contracts and are insured through their team. Crosby hasn't signed in Europe (yet?) and would have to pay his insurance.

That would be a nice addition to Team Canada!

Link (german):
http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/story/Sidney-Crosby-will-beim-Spengler-Cup-spielen-13517089

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Crosby wants to play for Team Canada

Pat Brisson called Team Canada coach Doug Shedden about Crosby at the Spengler Cup. Crosby wants to play for Team Canada. Only problem (as always): He has to pay his insurance by himself. All the other players got european contracts and are insured through their team. Crosby hasn't signed in Europe (yet?) and would have to pay his insurance.

That would be a nice addition to Team Canada!

Link (german):
http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/story/Sidney-Crosby-will-beim-Spengler-Cup-spielen-13517089

Wow! Spengler Cup here I come! Davos is the place to be this Christmas. It could very well be true, as Crosby does want to play somewhere after the Christmas break and the Spengler Cup would be a great place to start as I guess he'll play somewhere in Switzerland in January.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
is TSN still going to air the games. because they've got world juniors in Russia this year. could be time conflicting depending on how they schedule the games

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Watched this last year and Canada were terrible but if they have players like Seguin there's really excuse for not getting to the final at least.

Yvanoe

Sep 16, 2012
Some new rumors and news about the NHL players that will play the Spengler Cup if the lock-out last until then :

- Patrick Kane will play with Davos : http://www.hcd.ch/team-single.41.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2878&tx_ttnews[backPid]=39&cHash=a12f044138

- Loui Eriksson will also play with Davos, since he signed a one month contract with them : http://www.planetehockey.com/news-hcd-loui-eriksson-signe-pour-un-mois,36218.html

- David Desharnais will play with Fribourg (he's playing there during the lock-out)

- Jonas Hiller might play with Davos too, and Zetterberg won't play because he want to spend that time with his family :http://www.planetehockey.com/news-hcd-j-hiller-pourrait-jouer-la-spengler,36115.html

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
Rafael Diaz and Damien Brunner will join HC Davos for the Spengler Cup.

HC Davos would have an impressive roster: Thornton, Nash, Eriksson, Kane, Diaz and Brunner (leading scorer in Switzerland).

Too bad the lockout will be solved by then. I still it won't end before January, so I can enjoy a nice Spengler Cup. :D

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The Spengler Cup for one year will feel like a World Championship. Holy smokes that Canadian team is stacked, especially if Crosby is on the team.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Jonas Hiller won't play for Davos as they signed Reto Berra from Biel (together with Kane) for the tournament.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Excuse my ignorance, but why are Canadian players suiting up for other countries?

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
Excuse my ignorance, but why are Canadian players suiting up for other countries?

Other clubs you mean and we are talking about just Nash, Thornton and Desharnais right? Nash and Thornton play for Davos and they dont lend out their players, they keep them and add reinforcements (Kane, Diaz, Brunner) to make themselves a little better. Desharnais plays for Fribourg who is also in the tournament, no reason to lend him to Canada either.

Canada gets players from the remaining NLA clubs who are not in the tournament and sometimes the AHL. In this case, the locked out players still in North America if they wish to join. Seguin, Spezza, Tavares and the others, if they wish to stay in Europe will play for Canada.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It's a tournament for teams, and not for nations. If there was a pre-season friendly between the NY Islanders and Switzerland Streit would also play for the Isles.

Teams normally use additional players because it's quite a rough schedule with 4 games in 5 days.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Szymon Szemberg ‏@Sz1909_Szemberg
Maxime Talbot to join Fribourg-Gottéron at #SpenglerCup. F-G committed to become the most French team in hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad