2012 Rangers vs. 2014 Rangers: Which team did you like better?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I enjoy watching the games much more now. Back then I fell asleep in many of the games.

My sentiments exactly. And who is it that I'm quoting......my long lost friend. Contact me.

Actually, I prefer this year's team. We are really coming together now. All we needed was the much needed road trip in which we swept. Home ice, starting to become a winning factor again.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
2014 for sure. The success in 2012 was great, but now seeing what I've seen of this team and last year's team, the hockey is just much, much better now.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've never had the level of confidence with any Ranger team that I had with the 2012 squad. They obviously weren't the most talented bunch and it caught up with them but that team was seldom, if ever outworked on the ice. Everyone on that team truly bought into what was being preached.

Always wonder what that team would have done if the front office focused on adding a D or two and a few depth forwards instead of putting all of their eggs in the Nash basket at the deadline. LA would have been super tough to beat but I think they get by NJ at the least.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I've never had the level of confidence with any Ranger team that I had with the 2012 squad. They obviously weren't the most talented bunch and it caught up with them but that team was seldom, if ever outworked on the ice. Everyone on that team truly bought into what was being preached.

Always wonder what that team would have done if the front office focused on adding a D or two and a few depth forwards instead of putting all of their eggs in the Nash basket at the deadline. LA would have been super tough to beat but I think they get by NJ at the least.

The way the Kings were playing that year in the playoffs, nobody was beating them.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
It's hard to beat 2014, I mean they played for the Stanley Cup. 2012 was an awesome regular season though. By the time they got to the ECF it felt like destiny.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

24/7 was awesome, and it's nice to go back and re-watch and reconnect with that team, but the entire run felt like luck and over-achievement to me. We all remember Torts' hockey and don't need an education on it I'm sure, but it never felt like that team was out of a game because they played every game the way that Edmonton and Carolina played against the current team recently. Boring, clog it up, keep it close, hope for the best hockey. And somehow, the best they were hoping for came to fruition way more often than you'd think chance would dictate.

Last year's team was just straight up good, and more fun to watch in every way. I'm very grateful that Sather was able to land AV. His team has not only been successful, but also way more fun to watch, and since I watch these games for entertainment first and foremost, I'm a happy camper.

*Bob Richards*

I feel like the 2012 team went with simply surviving late in the year and into the playoffs. Love that team to death but to call it arduous is an understatement.

Anyone know our record from like January-ish/February on?

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I feel like the 2012 team went with simply surviving late in the year and into the playoffs. Love that team to death but to call it arduous is an understatement.

Anyone know our record from like January-ish/February on?

I think they played .500 hockey for the last month or two of the regular season.

I remember complaining a lot about that :laugh:.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I liked the 2012 team a lot, but coming back from 3-1 down against the Pens and the fact that they were in every game in the Final (with 2 2OT losses and an OT loss) seals the 2014 team to me.

Hell, if one or two of those OT's go our way we probably had a parade.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
the 2014 Rangers had more talent to make their run at the cup, the 2012 team IMO over performed.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
2012 for me also has that effect of being the EXACT OPPOSITE of all those late 90s/early 00s Ranger teams that were loaded with stars but played lazy run-and-gun hockey with no defensive structure. Season after season of golf in the spring was far more infuriating than the 2012 team only being .500 in a run to the Final 4.

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
2014 AINEC.

I loved 2012 because as others said, they busted their ***** off seemingly like no other teams and were all-in on Tortorella's system. But not being able to take a shift or a period off without paying for it was too much stress. To me, I was more excited about game 5 vs. WAS & everything Kreider did above all else that postseason.

This year's team was made for the postseason, and overcame a ton of obstacles from the 2013 offseason on to be Eastern Conference Champs. Far more memorable moments throughout the postseason, and just fell short of the Cup.

After the 2012 team bowed out, I was hoping for tweaking of the style of play to help the team out in 2013. It didn't happen.

After game 5 at LA, I just said "Next year they will be back"...which I still very, very much believe right now.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That 2012 team was awful in the playoffs they had a cakewalk field to get to that final and limped thru until they get upset by the Devils

The 2014 team would have smoked them

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Enjoyed both thoroughly but prefer AV's style of hockey even if nothing can quite compare to winning a 7 game series playing the Torts Way. We've been spoilt recently, long may it continue!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
2014, not even close. Just a much better team.

If they played each other in a playoff series, 2014 would dominate. It would still probably go 6 or 7 games because of Hank and the six-goalie system, but shots and possession would be comically in favor of 2014.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
To be fair there's some revisionist history going on here. Must of us were happy with 2011-12 when it was happening. We were all so happy that finally there was a young Rangers team that worked their tails off and played every shift.

Everyone was fine with Torts, most of the bitterness is because the following season was so sour and by the time they got to the playoffs, it was painfully obvious they couldn't win playing that brand of hockey. The Hagelin "stinks" thing was the epitome of that. We all remember Mike Rupp getting third line minutes and hoping the Ben Ferririo and Brandon Mashinter could solidify a fourth line spot.

There's always a what if but if Dubi was Dubi, Sauer was healthy, and Brain Rolston was plucked off waivers just for the PP and fourth line minutes, maybe that team goes to the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad