NHL Entry Draft: 2012 Mock Draft in Visual Chromatics

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This isn't always necessarily pick-for-pick order, it's sort of a hybrid of a loose order of what I think/predict/spitballing will happen (see: Glennie, Kulikov, Kuznetsov), along with matching up a player with a team regardless of the order (see: Etem, Petrovic), and an emphasis on trends of the general manager in the 1st round(s). I expect the results to be bad because there it's generally acknowledged how unpredictable based on the order and amount of injuries. As I've been tending towards, comments kept short. I expect to need a mulligan for the entire draft

2011: I admittedly didn't know jack **** about most of the draft other than I almost crapped myself when the Flyers actually used their 1st round draft pick. I put RNH to the Oilers, and completely fell apart. However, I did get both Oilers picks right (Klefbom), along with the Wild picking Brodin and the Senators taking Matt Puempel later in the 1st round, and that's generally around my success rate.

2010: Top 3 again was right, but then people got stupid and let Cam Fowler drop. I also got Minnesota picking Granlund at 9, the Ducks taking Emerson Etem, although with the wrong first round pick. I nailed Jarred Tinordi to Montreal, and Alex Petrovic I had in the first round to Florida, but he went a few picks later but to the same team.

2009: 5 correct picks, but nailing the top 3 is the easy part. Not much to speak of other than that. Kreider and Holland flipped teams from my mock. Although I was sort of right with Carolina going off the board a bit.

2008: I believe I had 7 players go in their their spot, or to their team, but generally, I thought trends held up pretty good even if it wasn't the right player. Then again, it's easy to get the top of the draft right.

2007: 6 of top 14 either selected by the teams, or in the spots taken. Detroit also took Joakim Andersson later in the draft, whom I had as a 1st round pick.

We begin:

EdmontonOilers
RyanMurray

Defense, Everett Silvertips (WHL), Canada

This is what I originally wrote for this pick:

The rumors of the Blue Jackets looking to move down from 2 leads me to believe that they feel the Oilers are taking Yakupov. And they should, he's the best player available. The perception what the Oilers have in their system between their defense and forwards are transposed, and I don't think they need a defensemen as much as people think in terms of wanting Murray. With that said, no one would be surprised if the Oilers do the stupid thing. They should be trying to package Paajarvi to try and find something else.

The only thing more dumb than this is if the GM who led the team to the 1st overall pick 3 years in a row got his contract extended for the same amount of years.

ColumbusBlue Jackets
AlexGalchenyuk

Forward, Sarnia Sting (OHL), USA

Scott Howson has made such a mess here, they could do whatever they wanted and find a player to help them. If they trade down, they'll probably do it with the team taking Ryan Murray unless it's them themselves trading down to take him.

MontrealCanadiens
NailYakupov

Forward, Sarnia Sting (OHL), Russia

There's reasons why the Oilers and Blue Jackets are in the first third of the draft every year, and the Habs are not.

New YorkIslanders
RadekFaska

Center, Kitchener (OHL), Czech Republic

4 of the last 5 years, Garth Snow took an OHL player with his first pick. So, this is something of a shocker. Good chance they can trade down and do this, but Snow could try to outsmart himself, and that's generally been par for the course (as opposed to taking a defenseman). And we've seen enough Kitchener Rangers make it in this league.

TorontoMaple Leafs
JacobTrouba

Defense, USNTDP (USHL), USA

Brian Burke can kill two birds with one stone by taking an American shutdown defenseman to replace the Canadian one he's about to trade.

Anaheim Ducks
Mikhail Grigorenko

Center, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL), Russia

The Ducks have also trended towards the OHL. Unfortunately, after the Islanders reach for Faska, there are none left. I'm going to take a chance here, if not just to predict that Grigorenko's stock isn't going to sink like a rock just because we just found out that he is 20 years old. There was already a decent chance he was going to get to play in the NHL next year, and at some point if he's the best player possible, then that's what he is. A lot of teams may move him down, but it only takes one team to not.

If the Flyers move up, it means they feel they have an heir apparent to Kimmo Timonen (since one for Pronger doesn't exist).

MinnesotaWild
Teuvo Teravainen

Forward, Jokerit Helsinki (SM-liiga), Finland

Last two years I correctly predicted the Wild going overseas to get their guy, so here is the latest attempt. They haven't been afraid to do it, and desperately pure talent if not puck possession players. That boils it down to basically a coin flip between Forsberg and Teravainen, and I took the riser in the draft.

CarolinaHurricanes
FilipForsberg

Forward, Leksands IF (SEL), Sweden

Last year I said (and it has been documented, on live television) that Jim Rutherford does not like taking defensemen in the 1st round. So, he did exactly that last year, although they have had success in the OHL. May not have a choice but to step out of the comfort zone here, unless they make the trade with Pittsburgh, which if it happens, I'd still mock them the same player.

WinnipegJets
GriffinReinhart

Defense, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL), Canada

At least he'll be able to put on an actual Winnipeg Jets jersey.

Tampa BayLightning
MorganRielly

Defense, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL), Canada

Steve Yzerman was not afraid to take Brett Connolly two years ago in the Top 10 after he was injured, so this makes sense to me.

WashingtonCapitals
HampusLindholm

Defense, Rogle Jrs (SEL), Sweden

The Caps have been branded as like the Alternate Soviet Red Army, but others ignore the Swedish players they have drafted.

BuffaloSabres
MatthewDumba

Defense, Red Deer Rebels (WHL), Canada

The guy awkwardly lighting the cigarette is Craig Button.

DallasStars
TomWilson

Forward, Plymouth Whalers (OHL), Canada

Just personally, I think Joe Niewuendyk thinks he's a genius. In a year from now, he might find out he's not.

CalgaryFlames
ZemgusGrigensons

Forward, Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL), Latvia

He should at least have a better career in the NHL than Christian Fuamatu-Ma'afala did in the NFL. Go Latvia.

OttawaSenators
TomasHertl

Center, Slavia Praha (Czech Extraleague), Czech Republic

Sounds like the Senators might try to do something stupid like trade Mika Zibanejad for Rick Nash, so here's for the mulligan attempt.

WashingtonCapitals
AndreiVasilevski

Goaltender, Tolpar Ufa (MHL), Russia

Caps could have traded up to take Grigs instead, but just in case, here is a goaltender in case they need to replace Varlamov.

San JoseSharks
Stefen
Matteau

Center, USNTDP (USHL), USA

For some reason, the Sharks have trended with American players, usually going to college. For other added reasons, they've trended downward as an organization.

ChicagoBlackhawks
CodyCeci

Drink when someone makes a C. C. Sabathia reference.

Tampa BayLightning
ColtonScissions

Center, Kelowna Rockets (WHL), Canada

Chug your entire house's supply of alcohol if someone makes a Scissor Sisters reference. Call 911.

PhiladelphiaFlyers
OlliMaataa

Defense, London Knights (OHL), Finland

This is where I'm playing my player-to-team card. Flyers will almost have to move up to get him. After making the Bobrovksy trade, they have less than 24 hours to get rid of the 2nd round pick they got. Maataa will fill the Flyers 'defensemen from Finland' quota when Timonen retires, and whoever they end up with will have a better-than-expected chance to make the team out of camp.

BuffaloSabres
DerrickPouliot

Defense, Portland Winterhawks (WHL), Canada

I anticipate the Sabres move this pick for a player.

PittsburghPenguins
BrendanGaunce

Forward, Belleville Bulls (OHL), Canada

The shame of this will be how little that the draft pick selected by the home town team will be talked about, at least on TSN.

FloridaPanthers
BradySkjei

Defense, USNTDP (USHL), USA

The best 5-letter surname in the draft.

BostonBruins

MattFinn

Defense, Peterborough Petes (OHL), Canada

Even has a good Boston Bruins name.

St. LouisBlues
SebastianCollberg

Forward, Frolunda Indians (SEL), Sweden

I got nothing.

VancouverCanucks
MalcolmSubban

Goaltender, Belleville Bulls (OHL), Canada

This will be the greatest draft pick stir, ever, late in the 1st round of a draft.

PhoenixCoyotes
MichaelMatheson

Center, Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL), USA

Less Latvian than his Duqubue cohort.

New YorkRangers
OscarDansk

Goaltender, Brynas IF (SEL), Sweden

I will humor you. It sounds crazy. Lundqvist's 30. Draft a goalie?

New JerseyDevils
ScottLaughton

Center, Oshawa General (OHL), Canada

The Devils probably do something boring at the draft, too.

Los AngelesKings
SlaterKoekkoek
Defense, Peterborough Petes (OHL), Canada

I realized I got to the end, and no one took Koekkoek, so...that probably won't happen.

Hold on to your butts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad