2012 Draft - 3rd Pick: Jujhar Khaira

Oct 15, 2008
The Oil kings are likely to lose a few players on the 3rd/4th lines due to age, so I think there's space for him to at least dip his toe into the 2nd unit PP as well as 3rd line minutes.

Wruck, Peddle, Rachinski, Maxwell, Foster and Pelss could all, presumably, be elsewhere next year due to overage limits as well as being old enough to turn pro if they're ready (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). There is space on the team for him.

Wruck and Foster both have one more year left. I imagine they will both be back.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
First day of his first pro camp, I would expect it.

Just reporting, not judging.

I was also wondering a lot whether Rieder might be able to be another Cogliano or Brodziak as a C with occasional scoring punch for our 3rd or 4th lines.

Also liked Ewanyk, Zharkov and Hamilton today.

Oct 15, 2008
Watched Khaira play with Michigan Tech vs Minnesota Gophers.

Michigan Tech lost 3-2. No points for Khaira. Big, slow, plodding, no hands, not very physical, looks lost out there. Seems to be on the top line, gets pp TOI. Not used in a pk or defensive role. Seems to be last guy back, last guy into the offensive zone, generally plodding a couple steps behind the play most of the time.

That said he is one of the younger guys out there, so he is likely to be behind most of the players as per development. He is going to have really improve a lot in a lot of areas or it will be another swing and a miss.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The thing to remember with the NCAA is that you have guys out there that range in age from 18-24+. He is a raw Freshman, that said I haven't seen him yet so I can't comment on his play down there.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
That said he is one of the younger guys out there, so he is likely to be behind most of the players as per development.

Certainly. He's the youngest player on his team by over a year and the youngest player on either roster by 5 months. The oldest player is over 7 years older than him.

The jump from BCHL to NCAA is no small one. I think it is unreasonable to expect him to be a dominant force right out of the gate. And if he really is getting regular PP time, the coach must think he has potential.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Not every prospect we have is going to meet expectations ar fulfill their potential. There will be some duds, some who only find success as far as the AHL level or less, some who won't even be signed to ELC's. To expect every pick to turn out is unreasonable.

IMO he comes across very tentative in general. He may have some confidence issues. Even at our rookie development camp, amongst peers his own age group, he seemed nervous. And this was just practice drills.

All that being said, the kid is just that, a kid. And he's been thrown into the fire as far as jumping leagues from the BCHL to NCAA. Plenty of time for him to prove the doubts about him are wrong. I root for every draft pick we have, but with the increasing depth (up front especially), it's going to take definitively extraordinary performances at the junior, college and/or AHL levels to catch management's/coach's eye.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
he has 4 years of ncaa level hockey to improve, he isnt a top end prospect or being rushed, if he pans out, great, if not oh well. That being said rookies dont tend to get top PP time in a league dominated by vets, he must do something in practice that the coaches like.

Oct 15, 2008
I think that is why they probably encouraged him to go the college route. It gives him lots of time to develop and they dont have to find him a spot on the Barons. Not sure what the deadline is for offering him a contract.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think that is why they probably encouraged him to go the college route. It gives him lots of time to develop and they dont have to find him a spot on the Barons. Not sure what the deadline is for offering him a contract.

The day you give a contract is the day he turns pro, so more than likely it's not going to be for 4 years.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I think it must be four years after you are drafted, or else you become ufa like Schultz did.

No, in Schultz' case he de-registered from college which gave Anaheim a one month window to sign him. He could have stayed another year and Anaheim would have kept his rights. Once a player's college eligibility is up then they have to be signed or the NHL team loses the player's rights. Of course this could change with a new CBA.

Either way, Khaira needs some time to marinate. Nice to see he's getting quality minutes though.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Per the 2005 CBA, Khaira has cleared all the requirements to be Oiler property until August 15, 2016 if he graduates with his class or June 1, 2016 if he leaves before then.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Per the 2005 CBA, Khaira has cleared all the requirements to be Oiler property until August 15, 2016 if he graduates with his class or June 1, 2016 if he leaves before then.

how is the schultz thing different

Schultz was drafted just shy of his 18th birthday in 2008 khaira was drafted just shy of his 18th birthday in 2012---both draft years happened after the 2005 cba

and I would like to point out since Khaira does not have a contract, he will more then likely fall into the new cba rules and not the old one

Mc2Curious

Feb 24, 2007

Schultz was drafted just shy of his 18th birthday in 2008 khaira was drafted just shy of his 18th birthday in 2012---both draft years happened after the 2005 cba

and I would like to point out since Khaira does not have a contract, he will more then likely fall into the new cba rules and not the old one

Schultz did not go straight to NCAA he played one year of Junior thus the 4 years was complete after his 3rd year of college

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

schultz essentially dropped out of school, if he would have stayed then the Ducks would still retain his rights

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

Because Schultz stayed a year with his BCHL team for an extra year. When Schultz left school his team had until the fourth June 1 to sign him. From there the loophole takes over, since they didn't plan on him leaving after the fourth June 1 while still having school time remaining.

No current Oiler picks currently qualify for the loophole.

Alexei Emelin was drafted in 2004 but wasn't signed until last year. He got to have almost 1/3 of his salary in signing bonus, not the 2005 CBA mandated 10% due to that.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
Bump...

Another nice game for Khaira- 1 goal and an assist.

Here is his stat line:

12 games: 3 goals 7 assists 10 points 33 Penalty minutes

Next closest player has 17 Pims.

I am pretty excited about this prospect. Scoring as a rookie and playing some nastiness (Penalties for roughing and elbowing today.

He is years away, but I am definitely liking what I am seeing.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I'm loving this pick more every day. He's doing great and fills a valuable niche for the Oilers, the large center that can bring some offense. Combine this interview and this summary of his BCHL career.

That was in the fall of 2010 watching him at PG Spruce Kings main camp, as he skated about the ice with a wide track stance, some touch around the net, and a relentless determination. At the time, I thought that determination would not make up for the lack of size and strength.

He was listed at 5'5" two years ago.

One time, in the mid-1990s, Andersson saw a Swedish forward who crashed the net all the time. He was a maniac. But he was also 165 pounds and not much of a skater.

A year later, a friend mentioned that the kid was now 200 pounds. If he would battle like crazy at 165, how good could he be at 200?

Andersson went to see him.

And that's how the Wings landed Tomas Holmstrom.

It seems the Oilers took a page out of the Red Wings' draft book on this one.

If he pans out then Hall-Khaira-Yak would be an amazing line. Incidentally, Khaira wore 16 as a Spruce King, making that line the HK416 and N64.

Pyth

Jun 24, 2012
Hi I want made Jujhar to my NHL13 - can anyone post info about his equipment ? THX

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Solid start for him this year for sure. Does anyone have any comparables for a player like him entering NCAA the year after he's drafted, and putting up similar points? His stats are impressive at first glance, just wondering if I should taper my expectations.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Hi I want made Jujhar to my NHL13 - can anyone post info about his equipment ? THX

wncc77mh3u66s09i.jpg

That's the most recent pic I can find of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad