2012 Coyotes

embryoniccrusadah

Nov 3, 2011
How the *bleep* did this team make the conference finals?? Who were their stars? Were they considered underdogs or favourites in their playoff match ups? and why the eff dont I have a single memory of this!?

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Our team was magic. Fiery Doan. Almost Vezina-style Smith, and we were deep. Happiest time of my life.

Calgary may actually be pleasantly surprised with Smith. Just sayin. He gets **** on a lot here due to his antics and his time in Tampa but he's actually a very good goalie.

All Me

Mar 4, 2012
Their defence was not bad too!
Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Morris, Klesla, Aucoin, Rozsival

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Beat Chicago in 6 (first 5 were OT games) - Smith was great, Crawford was not.
Beat Nashville in 5 - Smith was great, Rinne was not (also remember Radulov/Kostitsyn late night visit to Scottsdale prior to Game 2...led to suspensions and took energy away from the Preds)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hot goalie, a bit of luck, an underrated Whitney - Hanzal - Vrbata line. Good veteran D. Enough roleplayers that bought in that they were tough to play against. Only team hotter was the Kings.

Complete opposite of recent Tippett years.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mike Smith was the main reason.

That team allowed a lot of shots also, from what I recall.

Mike Smith's 11-12 season and playoffs were one of the best regular season and playoff combinations of the past decade. Although Jonathan Quick had an amazing season and playoffs that very same year and Tim Thomas from the year before. The year was clearly an anomaly for Mike Smith, as he was never that good before this and never came anywhere near close to duplicating that season ever again, but I'm surprised those playoffs from him doesn't get talked about more often.

I still hear so much about Halak's 2010 playoffs, which Smith's playoffs in 2012 were quite a bit better than Halak's 2010 playoffs.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
How the *bleep* did this team make the conference finals?? Who were their stars? Were they considered underdogs or favourites in their playoff match ups? and why the eff dont I have a single memory of this!?

Mike Smith played exactly one good season of hockey, earned a multi-year contract extension, and hasn't really lived up to it.

acor

Jan 13, 2012

Smith+Defense+Whitney+Coaching (in 2012, if you read Coyotes fans from back there, Tippet was considered god...)... As for favourites or underdogs... Well, I don't remember the odds against Chicago and Nashville, but it certainly wasn't some unexpected "WTF?" run, like 17'Sens or 10'Habs... Coyotes were 3rd seed, and winners of pacific division... It was also their third straight year in playoffs...

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
They got lucky big time. The pos Torres took out Hossa which won them the series against Chicago. Then they played Nashville who weren't a very good team. Thankfully the Kings ran over 'em and ended that run.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
They got lucky big time. The pos Torres took out Hossa which won them the series against Chicago. Then they played Nashville who weren't a very good team. Thankfully the Kings ran over 'em and ended that run.

Wanted to ask why "thankfully", then seen your location, lol...

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
If you look at Coyotes back then, it was really not a bad team. They also won their division. Obviously some players really exceeded their performances in the play-offs - mainly Mike Smith, but they were for real.

Whitney, Doan, Hanzal, Boedker, Pyatt, Vermette, Vrbata, Langkow

OEL, Yandle, Morris, Klesla, Rozsival, Aucoin

Smith

Raffi Torres back then was still useful player and had almost 30 pts season, just like Korpikoski who had 37 pts season back then. Boyd Gordon was very solid bottom 6 player.

It was kind of surprising run but not as much as some are making it to be.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Mike Smith was the main reason.

That team allowed a lot of shots also, from what I recall.

Mike Smith's 11-12 season and playoffs were one of the best regular season and playoff combinations of the past decade. Although Jonathan Quick had an amazing season and playoffs that very same year and Tim Thomas from the year before. The year was clearly an anomaly for Mike Smith, as he was never that good before this and never came anywhere near close to duplicating that season ever again, but I'm surprised those playoffs from him doesn't get talked about more often.

I still hear so much about Halak's 2010 playoffs, which Smith's playoffs in 2012 were quite a bit better than Halak's 2010 playoffs.

He was not the main reason he was the ONLY reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad