Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 5/9) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
How much longer will we have to wait for our offensive Dynamo to come save the day? Is it too much to ask to get a real home grown New York Ranger who can score 60-80 points or more in a season? Without having to buy one or play a system that atrophies him?

Yes. You don't draft those types of players without very high picks or incredible luck. NYR got their share of late-draft luck with Hank and I don't see them having a very high first rounder for a while unless they trade serious assets for it.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
How much longer will we have to wait for our offensive Dynamo to come save the day? Is it too much to ask to get a real home grown New York Ranger who can score 60-80 points or more in a season? Without having to buy one or play a system that atrophies him?

Dude, you expectations are just unrealistically high. Yes, it is way too much to ask to hope the Rangers can get a guy like Crosby, Jagr, Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Bure without having to give up roster guys.

You want a perennial point per game guy? Then prepared to be disappointed quite often.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yes. You don't draft those types of players without very high picks or incredible luck. NYR got their share of late-draft luck with Hank and I don't see them having a very high first rounder for a while unless they trade serious assets for it.

Yeah, one superstar drafted late per team is more than fair. How many teams have multiple Hall of Famers at the same time whom they drafted in later round or even in the first.round.outside of the top-5?

We got our superstar in Lundqvist, we've gotten a second superstar.in Nash for a bunch of guys we acquired with our second round draft picks, and we have a bunch of other high quality guys with later picks (Callahan, Stepan, Hagelin), not to mention the undrafted star in Girardi.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
We got our superstar in Lundqvist, we've gotten a second superstar.in Nash for a bunch of guys we acquired with our second round draft picks, and we have a bunch of other high quality guys with later picks (Callahan, Stepan, Hagelin), not to mention the undrafted star in Girardi.
Until you said this I didn't realize if you trace all the pieces to their source, it was basically a 1st rounder and 4 2nd rounders.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Yeah and I was also thinking that in this technological day and age its pretty much impossible to get away with underscouting. There will be no Datsyuk story where only the RW scout was able to see him because the Blues scout didnt get on the plane. Etc etc. Not with Youtube around to tip people off of everything.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Yeah and I was also thinking that in this technological day and age its pretty much impossible to get away with underscouting. There will be no Datsyuk story where only the RW scout was able to see him because the Blues scout didnt get on the plane. Etc etc. Not with Youtube around to tip people off of everything.

Even today, I don't think many NHL teams are going to foot the bill for a trip to Almaty just based on grainy footage of a Khazakh wunderkind YouTube...

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Even today, I don't think many NHL teams are going to foot the bill for a trip to Almaty just based on grainy footage of a Khazakh wunderkind YouTube...

No, but from there they might very well watch replays of games from the convenience of their computers. And if they like what they see from that then they might go attend games. The blowup of the internet - the easy access to video, statistics, and how fast word spreads now from place to place - is going to pretty much end the days of players completely flying under the radar. Will it still happen once every so often? Sure, nothing is perfect. It will happen. But it's going to be much more rare than it was even seven or eight years ago.

Punxrocknyc19*

That would be this group: Danny Dekeyser, who everybody wanted to come out of Western Michigan last year. Eight NHL general managers have been in to see the 6'3 mobile defenceman in the last couple of weeks. I think that Detroit, St. Louis, and Tampa Bay are among the frontrunners for Dekeyser; he's high profile.

Andrej Sustr, a 6'8 Czech defenceman who plays at Nebraska-Omaha, is on the All-WCHA team this year. Lots of teams are lining up to get him signed as soon as his season ends.

And Montreal-area product Antoine Laganiere from Yale is a big winger – 6'4, 215 lbs – who projects as a third- or fourth-liner.

This year's college free agent crop is not outstanding, but Dekeyser is the best of that group.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418215

what college free agents will the NYR sign?? im hoping for Lain and Sustr... Lain was a teammate of Kyle Jean for 2 seasons at Lake Superior..

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Sustr was here for after draft prospect camp one summer or am I thinking of someone else? Hopefully if the Rangers like him that could help us sign him?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Regarding some thoughts about signings

That would be this group: Danny Dekeyser, who everybody wanted to come out of Western Michigan last year. Eight NHL general managers have been in to see the 6'3 mobile defenceman in the last couple of weeks. I think that Detroit, St. Louis, and Tampa Bay are among the frontrunners for Dekeyser; he's high profile.

Andrej Sustr, a 6'8 Czech defenceman who plays at Nebraska-Omaha, is on the All-WCHA team this year. Lots of teams are lining up to get him signed as soon as his season ends.

And Montreal-area product Antoine Laganiere from Yale is a big winger – 6'4, 215 lbs – who projects as a third- or fourth-liner.

This year's college free agent crop is not outstanding, but Dekeyser is the best of that group.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418215

what college free agents will the NYR sign?? im hoping for Lain and Sustr... Lain was a teammate of Kyle Jean for 2 seasons at Lake Superior..

Right now we are at 49 contracts
MSC is signed and will count against the 50 number next year. As will Josh Nicholls
Most likely Sam Noreau and Shane McColgan will also get ELCs this offseason
A big ?? is Peter Ceresnak IMO. Might have a very late development curve as is the case with many bigger players. Scouts saw something when he was picked for sure. I think he will not be signed though.
The NCAA College kids (Skjei, Nieves, Fogarty) will most likely stay in school another year, at least...
Do not see us signing any of the unsigned Euros in the org either this year (Fast & Lindberg are already signed and will both be here for camp - maybe earlier)
Mats Zuccarello is of course a big ???
So we will most likely not have many new contracts given to our own draft picks for next season
That makes it around 53(54?) players that will be contracted into the offseason.

But there will be a lot of roster players that are free agents and are also probably goners as well. Maybe something like:

RFAs - likely gone (3)
Sauer :( , Delisle, Pyett

UFAs - likely gone (7)
Hamrlik, Eminger, Halpern, Gilroy, Collins, Segal, Vernace??

RFAs - will likely resign (8)
McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, Ferriero, Palmieri, Mashinter (he is RFA - no?), Parlett, Niemi ??

This means - pending other roster action that you know is going to happen - that we would have something like 53 minus 10 spots = 43 signed contracts for next year.
I could therefore see us take a flyer on 2-4 names listed below here (or other unknowns), all of course depending on what happens in general. In addition - we would likely sign 3 - 5 names as free agents (or through trades) for filling up the NYR & CT Whale rosters.
CT is going to have a young and interesting makeup next year. That is for sure.

Regarding unsigned NCAA players mentioned here

DeKeyser - seems like he chooses his destination. Apparently has high ceiling - but will ne choose NYR? Likely not...
Sustr - was a Ranger camp invitee. Gargantua Kjell Samuelsson reincarnated? Definitely intriguing and a possibility
Laganiere - Big guy. Montreal bound? Interesting name though...
Lain - has history with Jean. Center. Want!

Some more free agent names out of the NCAA that might be of interest are here:

Defense
Nate Schmidt, Minnesota
Chris Casto, Minnesota-Duluth
Shayne Taker, Notre Dame
Kenney Morrison, Western Michigan
Wade Epp, Northern Michigan
Mike Boivin, Colorado College

Forwards
Eriah Hayes, Minnesota State
Ryan Walters, Nebraska-Omaha
Austin Czarnik, Miami
Alex Krushelnyski, Colorado College
Drew Leblanc, St. Cloud
Gabe Guertler, Minnesota

Outside of that there are some more interesting unsigned guys that might warrant a look. They include:
Joel Vermin, Switzerland
Petr Straka, Baie-Comeau Drakkar

Regarding the draft
Connor Hurley, Pat Mullane, Will Butcher, Miles Bell, Jacob de la Rose and Emil Djuse are IMO all names to look into at the draft.
But some of these players will likely be gone before we pick. I think looking at a goalie or two might be a wise way to use a lower pick too.
Undrafted dark horse Swedish goalies Anton Forsberg or Sebastian Idoff could be worth a 7th rounder (which we need to pick up) IMO. Back to the future thing... ;)

Punxrocknyc19*

look at the Wings... they have awesome scouts.. they dont need high picks to pick good players... :help:

Punxrocknyc19*

The Rangers have been very good at getting NHL talent from the later rounds. Not sure what the complaints are about....

it would be nice if the NYR can actually draft their own superstar instead of trading for someone elses in the first round... enough of these safe 3rd liners with 2ed line potential...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
[/B]

it would be nice if the NYR can actually draft their own superstar instead of trading for someone elses in the first round... enough of these safe 3rd liners with 2ed line potential...

If you draft enough of those "safe 3rd liners with 2nd line potential" and stock the cupboard like they had done, making a 4 for 1 trade is made easier. Also, the Rangers will always be players in UFA.

Stepan sure seems like a very good player. Same with Hagelin. Same with Staal. Sauer before his injury? McDonagh through trade? Girardi as a UFA? Hank?

I mean does every player they draft have to be a superstar? I think they have been relatively successful.

Punxrocknyc19*

If you draft enough of those "safe 3rd liners with 2nd line potential" and stock the cupboard like they had done, making a 4 for 1 trade is made easier. Also, the Rangers will always be players in UFA.

Stepan sure seems like a very good player. Same with Hagelin. Same with Staal. Sauer before his injury? McDonagh through trade? Girardi as a UFA? Hank?

I mean does every player they draft have to be a superstar? I think they have been relatively successful.

im not saying that their draft record hasnt been a success because it has.. it would be nice if NYR can say this 35 goal scorer was drafted by NYR in the first round a few years ago and is now making his NHL Allstar Debut... Flyers drafted Giroux and he wasnt a very high first round pick... i just wish NYR can draft their own superstar forward.. they lack that in their organization..

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
im not saying that their draft record hasnt been a success because it has.. it would be nice if NYR can say this 35 goal scorer was drafted by NYR in the first round a few years ago and is now making his NHL Allstar Debut... Flyers drafted Giroux and he wasnt a very high first round pick... i just wish NYR can draft their own superstar forward.. they lack that in their organization..

They haven't used very many 1st rounders on forwards for quite a few years. That is most likely why.

Sanguinetti
Staal
McIlrath
Skjei

Cheraponov (RIP)
Kreider
Miller

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

So flyers lucked out with Giroux on the first rd. We lucked out on the 7th once with Hank, in the 6th twice with Fasth and Hagelin.

Give Stepan, Kreider and Miller sometimes. They may turn into that.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
look at the Wings... they have awesome scouts.. they dont need high picks to pick good players... :help:

The Wings drafted Lidtsrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg 10-20 years ago during a different era... what have they done lately that is so amazing? What team is currently picking stars out of the 6-7 rounds?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
The Wings drafted Lidtsrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg 10-20 years ago during a different era... what have they done lately that is so amazing? What team is currently picking stars out of the 6-7 rounds?

Best I can think of is Jamie Benn in the 5th round.

Punxrocknyc19*

Best I can think of is Jamie Benn in the 5th round.

while their first round pick 8th overall in 2009 Scott Glennie is considered a bust as of now, undrafted Dillion could be their version of Dan Girardi as undrafted top 4 dman...3rd round pick Reilly Smith might be a solid 2ed or 3rd liner for them..

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kreider takes so much **** on these boards. Kreider is the only young player to struggle in his first full pro season. What a joke. Jake Gardiner(2nd year). Mikael Granlund. Sven Baertschi. Sean Couturier(2nd year). Kreider and the first 3 players in that group are in the AHL right now. The other one is really struggling.

#Flyers Sean Couturier had 13 goals last season. This season: 2, and none in 20 games entering tonight

https://twitter.com/NHLAdamK/status/312664047726235648

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad