2011 prospects: USHL standout Scott Mayfield looks to lead by example

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Thanks for posting. One of the players I have been wanting to learn more about.

Ian Altenbaugh

May 24, 2008
Pittsburgh
From a stats standpoint I could see where you would think he'd be like McIlrath but honestly, he's closer to a Alex Pietrangelo or Derek Forbort in his skill-set. Huge kid, easily 6'4 and whether he weighs as much as he is listed (200) or not, he has a huge frame that could fill out to about 215-220. Fluid skater, likes to move the puck up ice to his forwards.

Good at moving the puck, whether it is lugging it up ice or sending a breakout pass to a forward.

He needs to simplify his game and improve his judgment with the puck...he often throws it to open ice or chips it into the neutral zone instead of carrying it out. It's probably an okay habit to develop going into the more structured NCAA circuit but does nothing to benefit him from an offensive standpoint.

I spoke with AJ Toews, a Caps scout, when I was attending a Youngstown game last week and he said that Mayfield doesn't play to his abilities when in the USHL. That when he is playing in tournaments, he is an absolute beast.

He's not overly physical. That's not to say he shies away from contact, because he absolutely doesn't, but when you watch him play, you'll see he's very much a finesse player in a big man's frame. Smooth, swift skater, carries the puck with tons of poise, and loves the offensive side of the game.

He'd make a great fit in a puck-possession oriented team that doesn't have an immediate need on defense, such as Nashville, Detroit, or his favorite team, the Blues. Hard to say how long into the first round he will last however.

From a character perspective he is a really good kid. Not a loud presence in the dressing room or on the ice, he prides himself in working hard and leading by example. When I spoke to him, it was obvious that he was happy to get the positive attention, but he seemed more concerned about Youngstown getting out of the current losing streak they are in than anything he may have accomplished on a personal level. He also makes no excuses about the relatively disappointing season he is having from a point production standpoint. I and others know that he is playing on a team that is offensively challenged but he will not make any excuses, instead saying he needs to work harder.

Here is his blog: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=539431

It's pretty good. As I said, he's an understated kid.

My email is [email protected]

I am hoping to cover some more USHL prospects this season so if you have any suggestions or questions, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm also the editor of Web Content for Hockey's Future so don't hesitate to contact me with anything HF related.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Scott Mayfield

I've never seen Mayfield play, but he seems like an entriguing player at 6'4 already. There's some talk on the Oilers board for taking him at 31, does anyone have any information on him?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Mayfield at number 24

Detroit is in need of defensive help, they have an above average forward group of prospects and one very stellar goalie prospect but outside of Smith (Kindl graduated last year) they dont have any outstanding defensive prospects.

Smith is an elite offensive guy but a little lacking on the defensive side.

This is where I see Mayfield come in the picture.

He is a big, mean defenseman (wings really need this aspect) who plays a very strong defensive game and also possesses some offensive upside.

I could see Detroit really trying hard to land Oleksiak or Mayfield if theyre around.

I think Mayfield has abetter chance of being around at Detroits pick, so what does everyone think of Mayfields game, and what does everyone think his chances are at being around for Detroit pick?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
it is realistic for the Wings to grab him at #24, but for some reason he has dropped a bit on scouting services lists. I think he is a safe late first round pick. The kid has offensive talent, but his bread and butter is his mobility and his defensive play and positioning. he has played on a crap team in the USHL for the past 2 years and I think that has hindered his rankings a bit.

Mayfield is still a very high end prospect that I think will go in that 22-30 range depending on how high a team is on his 6'3 195 frame and skillset. if he drops out of the first round, then someone will land a steal in the second round.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Reminds me of a prime Jason Smith. I had him at #24 in my mock draft actually. Huge ceiling, could be a top-pairing D but will likely slide in a great #3-4.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
it is realistic for the Wings to grab him at #24, but for some reason he has dropped a bit on scouting services lists. I think he is a safe late first round pick. The kid has offensive talent, but his bread and butter is his mobility and his defensive play and positioning. he has played on a crap team in the USHL for the past 2 years and I think that has hindered his rankings a bit.

Mayfield is still a very high end prospect that I think will go in that 22-30 range depending on how high a team is on his 6'3 195 frame and skillset. if he drops out of the first round, then someone will land a steal in the second round.

Yeah the wings like to take safer picks in the first round (Sheahan last year), and they also want to add size to their prospect pool. Mayfield has both.

To me Mayfield seems pretty safe because he can at the least be a very solid bottom pairing, punishing defenseman. I cant see him with his size and mobility making it out of the first and with Detroit looking to add size (stated earlier this season by the brass) Mayfield just seems like a really good pick for them.

Oh and for anyone who has watched him a lot, is he a huge hitter out there and really mean? Or is he more like a Paul Mara (best comparison I could think of) who will show amean streak but not all that consistently?

Oh and how is he when he drops the gloves, I saw hes had a couple fights this season?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really like the kid and think he's a first round pick for sure. Wouldn't be a stretch to think some teams have him in their top 15-20. Would be a good fit for the Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad