2011 NHL Draft Top-150 [UPDATED - post #261]

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I really don't want to start a border war here, but isn't Sean Couturier American? I know he was born in the states and I believe spent a good amount of time here. I know he has duel citizenship, but do we know for what country he considers himself for? He is turning into a top prospect, and I am sure the US would love to bring him in under their flag, since he was born in Arizona. Just curious.

He also played for Canada in the Subway series this year

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Contrary to popular to belief on HF, there are a few American hockey players that don't play for the NTDP.

Here's a couple Minnesotan kids that will be in the draft discussion next year:

Andy Welinski-Duluth East
Dan Molenaar-Eden Prairie
Adam Wilcox-South St. Paul
Derek Frawley-Minnetonka
JD Cotroneo-Hill-Murray
Ryan Jaremko-Elk River

this is usually the case with Minnesota and high school kids in general, they are always never talked about early on.

we all make these lists, but I can assure you that there will be a few US highschool kids to crack the top 50 that we haven't really seen much of yet, it is a lock to happen.

Hey WCH, what do you think of Frawley and JD Cotroneo? I like both these kids a lot. Frawley has nice size and definitely has a great touch with the puck. Cotroneo looks like another great Minnesota born blueliner. I like both of these guys a lot right now, as I feel they should definitely be in the top 150. You get to see all these guys more then me, who do you think of that group will step it up and be the top Minnesotan born kids?

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Fantastic list Tormentor! Takes a lot of guts to post a ranking for a draft 18 months away, but you did it and it's really, really good. Keep it up!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nieto is way too low. Top ten for sure. When you see him play, you'll immediately see why. Explosive. He's Kristo with grit and he hits people. Complete player.

Shore, Sefton and Meurs are all about 20 spots too low. I wouldn't put Duininck in the top 150.

The Team USA U17 goalies are very difficult to rate accurately, as that team plays competition that is way older than they are, and the scores tend to get ugly. It's a lot easier to gauge them when they make it to U18. So this time next year, I think you're going to find that McNeely and Gibson are a little (if not a whole lot) higher than everyone expects them to be. Right now though, it's tough to justify putting them any higher unless you've seen them play a lot.

Granlund is going to be a lot higher than you rated him this time next year.

Thank you for posting that list. Thank you for braving the nitpickers (I guess I fall into that category) and posting it anyway. People will disagree, but at least you posted it.

I think Nieto is fine where he is ranked right now. He has had an up and down year, as I am sure playing in the USHL against players 3 years older then you will make that difficult. We will see what he wants to do next season, but if he stays with the USNDP he should be a top 15 player imo.

I also have no problems where Duininck is at. I like him as a prospect overall, and I feel he could have a Brandon Archibald upside to him if he continues to develope. I am not comparing them apples to apples, but I think Craig is a solid prospect.

And to the OP, Craig Duininck is an American, you can remove the ? next to the USA if you'd like.

Keep an eye on Saad, as I think he really challenges a few guys for that top spot by 2011.

the q

Jan 21, 2009
Montreal
IMO for the QMJHL you have Nathan Beaulieu a little bit too high...IMO a late 2nd round pick not a first round talent IMO...JF Leblanc is a better pro prospect than Archembault, Leblanc by this time next year is bigger, stronger, and almost just as skilled and IMO will be a 1st round potential next year over Archambault, Also Yannick Veilluex , Jonathan Racine and JF Plante are three guys to watch out for next year as well...either of them will probably be 1st round talents but i would not run out a 2nd round or 3rd looks at these two.

Also Mitch Topping 2nd round? I don't know but when i saw the guy I thought he was pretty darn good, have not seen him play in a bit, so maybe he regressed in development?????

Im also going to go ahead and say I like Brandon Saad more than I like Seth Ambroz as well, I think Saad has alot more potential and talent.

I really agree with a saw Jf leblanc played in lhjmq he has a good year and i thibk he has a better potiential than archambault and J.Racine as alson a great year and as a lot of potientel in the year to come...

KL*

Keep an eye on Saad, as I think he really challenges a few guys for that top spot by 2011.

Saad has been very up and down as well. More so than Nieto. And one thing that Nieto has going for him is that even when he's not scoring, he's doing all the other things out there that help you win games.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Saad has been very up and down as well. More so than Nieto. And one thing that Nieto has going for him is that even when he's not scoring, he's doing all the other things out there that help you win games.

I think the whole USHL switch has made some of these kids stats look less impressive overall. I agree about Nieto, as he is very talented, but Saad has an NHL frame right now, and with what he can do with that size, imo it makes him a higher rated prospect in the eyes of some. I would like to see both on team USA next WJC though!

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
No im saying he is the number 2 player in the draft right now imo.

He is allot better then Connauton. He gets more icetime, he gets put in more key situations, the only thing Connauton is better at right now is skating(and Musil isnt horrible him self), and reckless offensive play. Connauton is a minus player who makes a huge amount of mistakes and is always out of position.

In my mind it isnt even close and I go see most of the games.

Connauton -5 Musil +19 (no one on the team is close)

and thats with Connauton eating up minuits on the powerplay, where most of his points come from. While Musil shuts down the top lines, at 16.

An yes its Musil who is always on the opening line up. And yes he is fully capable of putting up points, on Saturday when the Giants were down in the 3rd he jumped a bit more in to the play and showed tremendous skill, just didnt go all the way, that will change as he will get more pp time and his role gets biger.

Have you seen Nugent-Hopkins play yet, because in my view he is at least the #2 player in the draft, Couturier is also supposed to be very good.

the q

Jan 21, 2009
Montreal
Have you seen Nugent-Hopkins play yet, because in my view he is at least the #2 player in the draft, Couturier is also supposed to be very good.

I saw him, in the u-17 Nugent-hopkins and I was really dessapointed , but I saw S.couturier played and I is really much better than Nugent by farrrrrrr:nod:

pouskin74*

I saw him, in the u-17 Nugent-hopkins and I was really dessapointed , but I saw S.couturier played and I is really much better than Nugent by farrrrrrr:nod:

based on Under 17 challenge he (Nugent-Hopkins) is definitely overrated.

Default101

I would agree Shayne Campbell of Sarnia deserves some late round credit in terms of goaltenders.. He's been inconsistently good, and has shown he has a few intangebles in his game that make him a potential NHL prospect. Brandon Francisco definately deserves to be on there.. higher than JC Campagna, if he was about half an inch more accurate he'd easily be getting 20 goals this year, so many chances missed by such a small margin, great speed, he's looked great since christmas, isn't as selfish as he used to be. Ritchie is also really picking it up. I like Puempel high there he was really impressive.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
based on what I saw from this WJC, and from what I saw from Adam Larsson, I am not that impressed. Obviously, being a 16 year old and even being in this tournament is an accomplishment itself, and by no means am I saying he is not good, I guess I just expected to see more out of this kid that many you are saying is the clear cut #1 player for 2011.

I did not see Adam Larsson as the clear cut #1 player that was hyped. I saw a solid kid who looked intimidated at times. Obviously not many others from his draft class was even at this tournament, but I just did not see this player the way many of you described him to be.

I am sure the flaming will begin, but all I am saying is that there is no clear cut #1 guy for 2011, and if it still is Adam Larsson at the top, it is not as wide as some of you say it is.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Looks like the 2011 WJC USA team could include Ambroz, Saad, McColgen, and Nieto (and possibly Grimaldi). That would be something special for USA Hockey.

I haven't seen any of these guys play. How do they compare? Based purely on some articles, Nieto and Grimaldi seem like more interesting prospects. Nieto has an interesting demographical background and Grimaldi has the size shortcomings.

Also, McColgen, Nieto, and Grimaldi are all from the LA-area. Who would have thought such a thing only a few years.

It would be great to see at least 4 top-10 US players.

Mar 12, 2009
Very nice list. I didn't know much about the rankings for that draft year, nice to see Murphy in the top 10 and Landeskog in the first round as well. Should be a decent draft for Kitchener Ranger fans.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Looks like the 2011 WJC USA team could include Ambroz, Saad, McColgen, and Nieto (and possibly Grimaldi). That would be something special for USA Hockey.

I haven't seen any of these guys play. How do they compare? Based purely on some articles, Nieto and Grimaldi seem like more interesting prospects. Nieto has an interesting demographical background and Grimaldi has the size shortcomings.

Also, McColgen, Nieto, and Grimaldi are all from the LA-area. Who would have thought such a thing only a few years.

It would be great to see at least 4 top-10 US players.

it is very doubtful that more then one player from that list makes this team. They have 6 returning forwards, which only leaves 7 spots open. The US is also going to have a monster draft in 2010, so you have to believe that guys like: Etem, Knight, Watson, Yogan, Bjugstad, Nelson, Bennett, Arnold, Moffatt, Coyle, etc will be taking some of those spots. Plus throw in the names Drew Shore and Zach Budish who I feel are both locks, and you have very little room here.

It would be a great thing to see, but the US has so much depth for this 2011 team, that I only see Ambroz, McColgan, and Saad really challenging for a spot. The others like Grimaldi, Nieto, Jacobs, Trocheck, N. Shore, etc are all going to be excellent players, but there isn't enough room for them imo.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
based on what I saw from this WJC, and from what I saw from Adam Larsson, I am not that impressed. Obviously, being a 16 year old and even being in this tournament is an accomplishment itself, and by no means am I saying he is not good, I guess I just expected to see more out of this kid that many you are saying is the clear cut #1 player for 2011.

I did not see Adam Larsson as the clear cut #1 player that was hyped. I saw a solid kid who looked intimidated at times. Obviously not many others from his draft class was even at this tournament, but I just did not see this player the way many of you described him to be.

I am sure the flaming will begin, but all I am saying is that there is no clear cut #1 guy for 2011, and if it still is Adam Larsson at the top, it is not as wide as some of you say it is.

He made one of the strongest countries at barely 17. And really, the WJC is not a good evaluating tool for players. It's good for getting their name out, but not for evaluating their NHL upside.

Go watch Larsson in the SEL a few times and I think your opinion will change. He's done very well in a men's league. Nobody in the draft has accomplished nearly as much at a comparable level (I know juniors can't play pro in Canada, but nobody in this draft class has really dominated). I wouldn't put a lot of stock in a six game sample against U20 level competition.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
it is very doubtful that more then one player from that list makes this team. They have 6 returning forwards, which only leaves 7 spots open. The US is also going to have a monster draft in 2010, so you have to believe that guys like: Etem, Knight, Watson, Yogan, Bjugstad, Nelson, Bennett, Arnold, Moffatt, Coyle, etc will be taking some of those spots. Plus throw in the names Drew Shore and Zach Budish who I feel are both locks, and you have very little room here.

It would be a great thing to see, but the US has so much depth for this 2011 team, that I only see Ambroz, McColgan, and Saad really challenging for a spot. The others like Grimaldi, Nieto, Jacobs, Trocheck, N. Shore, etc are all going to be excellent players, but there isn't enough room for them imo.

With the exception of Budish and Shore and maybe Etem none of the guys you listed would be a better option than the ones HockeyGuy1975 listed. Knight and Watson possibly with outside shots.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
With the exception of Budish and Shore and maybe Etem none of the guys you listed would be a better option than the ones HockeyGuy1975 listed. Knight and Watson possibly with outside shots.

team USA is not going to take all those 93's. you seriously think that Nelson, Watson, Knight, Bjugstad, Yogan, Bennett, Coyle, etc are not going to be at the eval camp, and arent going to have a shot? you seriously underestimate this 2010 class. there is no need to go that young as USA Hockey does not take many 17 year olds gentleman.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He made one of the strongest countries at barely 17. And really, the WJC is not a good evaluating tool for players. It's good for getting their name out, but not for evaluating their NHL upside.

Go watch Larsson in the SEL a few times and I think your opinion will change. He's done very well in a men's league. Nobody in the draft has accomplished nearly as much at a comparable level (I know juniors can't play pro in Canada, but nobody in this draft class has really dominated). I wouldn't put a lot of stock in a six game sample against U20 level competition.

you have said nothing that i did not already say or say anything to prove me different . i said Larsson was unimpressive at the WJC , i did not ask about how he looked in the SEL league prior. his performance was average, and you cant argue that. i know it is only 6 games, but if he can do what you guys say he can do against grown men, then playing against 17 to 19 year olds should not have been an issue.

it was a big time tournament and i didnt see much special from him during it. i just dont see how he is head and shoulders above..

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
team USA is not going to take all those 93's. you seriously think that Nelson, Watson, Knight, Bjugstad, Yogan, Bennett, Coyle, etc are not going to be at the eval camp, and arent going to have a shot? you seriously underestimate this 2010 class. there is no need to go that young as USA Hockey does not take many 17 year olds gentleman.

I didn't say all of them but at least two seems likely in a high end age group like that.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

He was probably a TOP 2 defenseman on team Sweden. By no means he had bad WJC, or even average. Not awesome, but well he is 2011 prospect.

Still, did your boy McColgan or RNH played in WJC? No. Then how must we compare?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad