2011 NHL Draft: Tampa Bay Lightning ignore Russian risk, find core players

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
nikita_kucherov_tampa_bay_033116.jpg
Photo: Tampa Bay Lightning second round pick Nikita Kucherov is one of three Russian players the team selected in the 2011 NHL Draft that has become a valued member of the franchise. (courtesty Mark LoMoglio/Icon Sportswire)

</p>The Tampa Bay Lightning made some bold picks in the 2011 NHL Draft, selecting a trio of Russians with the first three of its six picks. Russian players have been selected more frequently in recent years, but 2011 wasn’t a banner year for the country as teams were reluctant to select its young players without assurances; only nine Russians were picked in the seven-round draft.… read more

The post 2011 NHL Draft: Tampa Bay Lightning ignore Russian risk, find core players appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Kucherov is obviously a huge success, but Nesterov is a bust IMO and Namestnikov could still end up going either way. Aside from the three in that draft Vasilevskiy is on the right track but hasn't arrived yet and Gusev has yet to play a shift for us. Overall I'd say we have one huge win, one likely win, one that's about 50/50, and unless and until Gusev actually comes over here two failures.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I'd say Namestnikov has cemented his non-bust status but whether he hits his potential or stays where he currently is(2nd line spot duty forward who centers a 3rd line) is still up for debate

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Kucherov is obviously a huge success, but Nesterov is a bust IMO and Namestnikov could still end up going either way. Aside from the three in that draft Vasilevskiy is on the right track but hasn't arrived yet and Gusev has yet to play a shift for us. Overall I'd say we have one huge win, one likely win, one that's about 50/50, and unless and until Gusev actually comes over here two failures.

Nesterov was a fifth round pick. He's already done more in the NHL than most fifth round picks. Hard to call him a bust.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
too early to call nesterov the timeline on d is 150-250 games

his numbers in ahl were solid. cooper hasnt done favors like put on power play to use him at his best. cooper does this to everyone it seems but i get it they want well roundedness over using a guy in his best environment so to speak.

i dont agree with coopers usage of the guys he plays certain ways and is not just the kids is stamkos even and drouin etc.. maybe one day he becomes that coach he uses all his guys correctly to fulfill their best promise but i doubt it and is my biggest knock on cooper.

cooper will not just give a guy a job he proved that benching nesterov for koekkoek and not giving nesterov the power play him and garrison might have worked imo but cooper did same thing with barberio hope they send nesterov back down if giving job to slater etc.. nesterov is at the 90 game mark seriously too early to judge on a guy on defense ... id say he becomes for someone probably not us a good 5-6 guy who can run power play and put up decent stats myself might surprise and make it to a top four guy in time. He does things very well others not so much but doesnt make same mistakes over and over so is learning. Is mostly different mistakes and honestly this year he had some VERY GOOD LUCK plus one but also made some great reads decisions etc.. that saved others blunders

he also attacks the puck mover at the blue line unlike our other guys he will body them which we have too little of. only other guy doing that often is coburn.

Nesterov was a fifth round pick. He's already done more in the NHL than most fifth round picks. Hard to call him a bust.

ya i think nesterov isnt going to be here long but will have a pretty decent nhl career

my think is
hedman stralman
masin spencer/blujus
koekkoek deangelo
in long run might keep blujus and nesterov as our 8th guys if can or for as long as can

masin is gonna climb very fast just one of those guys also macleod gets some good time at boston university finally this year so see how he does another guy with style like masin all around good everything guys you put in forget about

good news is finally gonna see some d coming along quickly so i want a goalie in drafting a solid d guy and to take a shot at an hopeful falling elite type of forward in our picks goalie 3rd 4th round so take a solid d guy in one of the first three picks and get a couple forwards one with all around game one a game breaker and ill be dancing:)

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
too early to call nesterov the timeline on d is 150-250 games

his numbers in ahl were solid. cooper hasnt done favors like put on power play to use him at his best. cooper does this to everyone it seems but i get it they want well roundedness over using a guy in his best environment so to speak.

i dont agree with coopers usage of the guys he plays certain ways and is not just the kids is stamkos even and drouin etc.. maybe one day he becomes that coach he uses all his guys correctly to fulfill their best promise but i doubt it and is my biggest knock on cooper.

cooper will not just give a guy a job he proved that benching nesterov for koekkoek and not giving nesterov the power play him and garrison might have worked imo but cooper did same thing with barberio hope they send nesterov back down if giving job to slater etc.. nesterov is at the 90 game mark seriously too early to judge on a guy on defense ... id say he becomes for someone probably not us a good 5-6 guy who can run power play and put up decent stats myself might surprise and make it to a top four guy in time. He does things very well others not so much but doesnt make same mistakes over and over so is learning. Is mostly different mistakes and honestly this year he had some VERY GOOD LUCK plus one but also made some great reads decisions etc.. that saved others blunders

he also attacks the puck mover at the blue line unlike our other guys he will body them which we have too little of. only other guy doing that often is coburn.

ya i think nesterov isnt going to be here long but will have a pretty decent nhl career

my think is
hedman stralman
masin spencer/blujus
koekkoek deangelo
in long run might keep blujus and nesterov as our 8th guys if can or for as long as can

masin is gonna climb very fast just one of those guys also macleod gets some good time at boston university finally this year so see how he does another guy with style like masin all around good everything guys you put in forget about

good news is finally gonna see some d coming along quickly so i want a goalie in drafting a solid d guy and to take a shot at an hopeful falling elite type of forward in our picks goalie 3rd 4th round so take a solid d guy in one of the first three picks and get a couple forwards one with all around game one a game breaker and ill be dancing:)

Nesterov's ceiling appears to be lower than Koekkoek's. I still see Nesterov's career being somewhere between Coburn and Carle. Serviceable in the right system.

I would keep Nesterov over Carle in the event of a buyout.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Nesterov's ceiling appears to be lower than Koekkoek's. I still see Nesterov's career being somewhere between Coburn and Carle. Serviceable in the right system.

I would keep Nesterov over Carle in the event of a buyout.

nesterov 5th rounder koekkoek top 10 following injuries which made him drop lol
id keep nesterov cause of low contract unless is upgrade since is some guys out there id target lindholm vatanen jack johnson guy from colorado shattenkirk etc.. avs guy is barrie thats right our ok city nightmares son hahaha

home run is looking like masin everything I hear from people watching him is solid. He is aggressive physical intimidating etc.. hard nosed gritty some offensive upside which surprised in peterborough to start last year

scout i talk to in ohl loves the machine says has it all one of those guys you have to win championships

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad