2011 NHL Draft: Detroit Red Wings found players even without a first-round pick

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
tomas_jurco_detroit_101315.jpg
Photo: Tomas Jurco has developed into an NHL player, but the Red Wings need a lot more from him next season (courtesy of Tony Ding/Icon Sportswire)

</p>The 2010-11 season was one of the last standout seasons in a long line of playoff seasons for the Detroit Red Wings. Keep in mind, this was prior to the realignment that resulted in the current divisional format, so the Detroit Red Wings were (somewhat unfairly) still in the Western Conference.

That year, they were the class of the Central Division, finishing third in the conference with 104 points behind only San Jose (105) and Vancouver (117).… read more

The post 2011 NHL Draft: Detroit Red Wings found players even without a first-round pick appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
On one hand, its pretty impressive to get that many NHL players without a first rounder.

On the other hand, individually they are all extremely meh

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I though this was a really good draft for us back then, especially on defense. Too bad we weren't able to get the upside out of them.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I though this was a really good draft for us back then, especially on defense. Too bad we weren't able to get the upside out of them.

We all did - at the time, and for several years afterwards. There was talk this could end up being our best draft since '89. Just go back and look through our prospect rankings polls and the 2011 guys were consistently top-10.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
doesn't help that Quine went back into the draft,Tvrdon had loads of injury problems that may or may not have ruined his development,and they traded possibly the best defenseman of the bunch for essentially nothing because he wanted to play hockey

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
traded possibly the best defenseman of the bunch for essentially nothing because he wanted to play hockey

The audacity! :laugh:

How highly the forum regarded many of these defenders is why many will be apprehensive to participate in much excitement about a prospect until he laces them up in a professional league. Even then, as we have seen with Pulkkinen, it's no guarantee the jump will be smooth.

Every team in the league has a collection of prospects that excite fans and could be the next big player for the team. The sleeper picks that develop better than expected. The late bloomer. The clutch scorer. That's part of the fun, but when we rest on the laurels of our draft system, I often have to remind myself that the other franchises have much the same hopes for their guys.

Jamie Oleksiak was the Stars answer to their defensive woes when they drafted him in 2011 at 14th overall. Not even sure if he'll make the roster next year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So we've given up on Marchenko, Ouellet and to some extent Sproul?

As far as I am concerned Marchenko and Ouellet are a microcosm of our defensive issues.

We have a pile of decent defenders lacking high end skill. A bunch of serviceable guys who can't elevate their game. All of them are safe and relatively steady but lack significant puck moving abilities.

In one word: Mediocre

Sproul might not be better than any of them but his skill set continues to standout in our organization. Here's hoping he can do something with it.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I remember a lot of people praised Holland for trading down that year. The players Holland forwent an opportunity to pick are below, I am kinda surprised wings didn't pick Namestnikov considering he had some ties to the team. Holland probably thought he was going to fall but of course didn't get past Yzerman. We didn't have or first the following year either because Kyle F Quincey.

Matt Puempel (LW)
Stuart Percy (D)
Phillip Danault (LW)
Vladislav Namestnikov (C)
Zack Phillips (C)
Nicklas Jensen (LW)
Rickard Rakell (RW)
David Musil (D)
Ty Rattie (RW)
Rocco Grimaldi (C)
Scott Mayfield (D)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yep, could have had Brandon Saad, but instead chose Jurco...worked out well. :shakehead

Thanks, Captain Hindsight.

If you want to hammer on that, go with Ferraro over Ryan O'Reilly in his draft year. You can always pick out the guys you missed several years later.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I remember being pissed we traded down and didn't draft Puempel. Thought the kid was going to be a big time goal scorer.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
There seems to be a lot of draft experts in this thread. I'm sure these are the same people that complained about the Larkin pick, too.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
There seems to be a lot of draft experts in this thread. I'm sure these are the same people that complained about the Larkin pick, too.

Yeah I'm guilty of loving the 2011 draft when it happened and hating the Larkin pick. In my defense I hated the Larkon pick largely because I felt certain Fabbri would be really good, and Fabbri really good and arguably as good as or better than Larkin so at least I wasn't way off. For 2011 I was way off but we've been pretty unlucky with the way that Sproul XO and Jurco developed. All had serious potential and have shown short bursts of reaching it.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Yep, could have had Brandon Saad, but instead chose Jurco...worked out well. :shakehead

I hate this kind of revisionism - pick the guy that everyone passed over (more than once) to crucify your GM. Everyone loved the Jurco pick right up till his sophomore year, when he went from "I-can't-believe-we-got-this-guy-in-the-2nd-round" to "Ken-Holland-Sucks!"

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

same people that wanted Kuznetsov instead of Sheahan too

imagine how horrible that would have been

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
same people that wanted Kuznetsov instead of Sheahan too

imagine how horrible that would have been

Considering he likely wouldn't come over to North America to play in Grand Rapids I'm pretty sure he'd get traded before suiting up for Detroit. Let's not pretend the "Russian Factor" wasn't a thing during that time, either. A lot of teams passed on him for that very reason, probably including Detroit.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
"Even without a 1st round pick?" As if a 1st round pick counts for like 3 players?

What a silly article. Regretting clicking on it. For a hockey website that people have been telling me is so great for years now, their prospect rankings and articles really blow. Forum is fine, though.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I remember being pissed we traded down and didn't draft Puempel. Thought the kid was going to be a big time goal scorer.

Not me, I wanted to trade down again even further and get Gaudreau.

No, actually I too was pissed we didn't get puempel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad