2011:My 1st round

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Vatican Roulette, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Vatican Roulette

Vatican Roulette Baile de Los Locos

Home Page:
    1st: Gabriel Landeskog
    2nd: Adam Larsson
    3rd: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    4th: Jonathan Huberdeau
    5th: Brandon Saad
    6th: Sean Couturier
    7th: Dougie Hamilton
    8th: Ryan Strome
    9th: Mika Zibanejad
    10th: Ryan Murphy
    11th: Duncan Siemens
    12th: Matt Puempel
    13th: Marc McNeill
    14th: Tyler Biggs
    15th: Rocco Grimaldi
    16th: Nathan Beaulieu
    17th: Nicklas Jensen
    18th: Jonas Brodin
    19th: Joel Armia
    20th: Victor Rask
    21th: Sven Bartschi
    22th: David Musil
    23th: Tomas Jurco
    24th: John Gibson
    25th: J.T. Miller
    26th: Rickard Rakell
    27th: Mark Scheiffle
    28th: Ty Rattie
    29th: Boone Jenner
    30th: Scott Mayfield

I admit this is not a traditional top 30, but I haven't seen a draft board that is.

2. ShawnTHW

ShawnTHW @ShawnTHW

UMMMMMMMMMM.....sorry to burst your bubble here, but you are WAY off.

Only thing I see that is legitimate is the top 3 picks. And even they are suspect.

Landeskog is very good, but he won't go first.

3. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Could happen.

4. Vatican Roulette

Home Page:
    Bubble isn't busting; All opinions are welcome.

5. McIce Whole

McIce Whole Registered User

I think your a bit off. Landeskog is good but wont go first overall, I think Larsson will. Both New Jersey and the Edmonton Oilers seem to want him and they will likely be picking 1-2. Also there is no way Couturier falls out of the top 5 or even top 3. Couturier will likely go 2nd. Mcneil seem to be way to low on your list. He will be a top 10 pick IMO and David Musil also seems to be 3-4 spots low and Rask also seems to be pretty low.

6. 4Isles4*

4Isles4* Guest

You never know.....? i,e Cam Fowler 12th

7. Pentothal

Pentothal Listen with one ear

Nobody works in Euro-pe
    I prefer these kind of mocks actually. It makes for a more interesting read.

There always seems to develop a more or less a consensus top 30 on here before a draft with very few variations. Then the draft comes along and the actual result is a whole lot different with some big surprises.

For instance, see Fowler and Gormley last year or Johansson and perhaps to a lesser degree OEL in 2009.

I love to see Zibanejad rated this highly even if 9th might be reaching a bit. He's been great for internationally for Swedish junior teams for quite some time and is starting to produce in the SEL now too ( 1+1 in his last two games for Djurgården). I could definitely see him being a riser in the draft.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  8. mps91

mps91 Registered User

I think that Larsson Couturier are going 1-2 respectively. Top 4 will definately be Larsson, Couturier, Landeskog, RNH. I would switch Murphy with Hamilton and I think Rattie and Jenner are a little high.

9. FinHockey

FinHockey Sex Metal Barbie

Tromboner
    There's no reason to have Armia outside of the top-15 IMO top-10.

10. Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche Registered User Sponsor

lol at Armia being 19th.

11. zeus3007*

zeus3007* Guest

Unless something crazy happens in the standings, or an upset happens with the lottery, Landeskog goes third at best. The Devils, Oilers and Islanders are likely going to be two of the bottom three, and all could use Larrson first, or a center second. The Isles might take Landeskog, but that would really depend on what the Oilers/Devils take if they finish with a higher pick too.

My top three
    Oilers - RNH
    Devils - Larsson
    Islanders- Landeskog

OR

Oilers - RNH
    Islanders - Larsson
    Devils - Courturier

12. hawksfan50

hawksfan50 Registered User

Well everyone has different opinions. When you post a draft ranking list ,is it what you think the pro teams would rank in some conensus (you base things on who you have seen AND with a perusal of several rankings put out by various rankinmg organizationsb) OR it it your own preferential ranking of who YOU would take given all you have seen and read ?

ALSO doing it to emulate some conensus is hard because the ranking orgs use separate rankings for skaters and goalies (and in Central scouting's case,tey also separate lists by NA's and euros) ...If you are trying to put your own preference list
    you also must allow for your own sometimes idiosyncratic "hunches" which might be very far from the "conensus" range of picks.

Given the great FAILURE rate in drafting by NHL teams temselves (lucky if they get 1-2 NHL'ers out of a 7 pick draft -that means usually 5oor 6 of every 7 picks don't "make it" -what chance does one have of being correct
    more than them? So it is insane to say -YOU ARE WRONG...You should say,I disagree --you rank a guy #X and I see him higher or lower then explain your case for disagreeing. BUT I do not think you can say-"YOU ARE WRONG" --that willnot be known for certain till a few years after the draft and we review who did make it and who never did.

13. Vatican Roulette

Home Page:
    If you want to disagree fine. But at least reply why you don't like the ranking.

Change my mind.

14. ShawnTHW

ShawnTHW @ShawnTHW

If you actually watched Armia, then you would know why it is laughable to have him at 19th.

15. The Vinstar

The Vinstar Registered User

Home Page:
    I AGREE WITH COUTURIER FALLING BEHIND HUBERDEAU. Just thought i would support you there.

I see Jurco climbing after his TPG show.

Noway saad is 6th. And that miller guy isn't 1st round imo

16. QMJHLfollower

QMJHLfollower Heart and soul

I stopped reading here.

17. McDoused

McDoused Registered User

Props for coming out with a list that goes against the norm. I hate seeing lists that are just combined averages of iss, css, mckeens and rlr. You call them as you see them.

Not to take anything away from your list but I have some pros and cons as opposed to my list:

1. I really like Puempel where he is, this kid could probably play in the NHL next season. Its too bad even his slighest flaws are revealed when playing on a poor petes team.
    2. Zibanejad is a sweet pick finishing out the top 10. He's much better then rask IMO.
    3. Huberdeau above Couturier is good to see. Take the guy with more potential then the "size factor".
    4.Nice to see Jurco and Jensen in the mix.
    5.I would switch Murphy and Saad. Saad has to prove he can put it all together and dominate while Murphy is already dominating games.
    6. Grimaldi and Brodin will be lucky to even be drafted in the first let alone so high. I just have a hard time seeing a player that small drafted so early. Also Brodin should be solid but don't know enough about him to know if he has more to give.
    7. Move Landeskog behind Larsson and RNH and your good. He will be a captain at the NHL level but donest have the hockey sense the other two have.

18. Vatican Roulette

Home Page:
    I have watched him. His skating improved but I don't like his hockey sense. He seems one of those players that will have a tough time adjusting. Plus, his WJC didn't help his case.

Laughable. Last year if I had Fowler at 12, I'd get the same response.

Another thing is the rapid jump in level of play. Those players always scare me off.

Also, he's very raw. Some teams like players like that and some go for the 'sure pick'.

And, it's my opinion, so feel free to disagree.

19. ShawnTHW

ShawnTHW @ShawnTHW

Fowler wasn't supposed to go 12th overall as you can very well see up to this point in his NHL season. So yes, of course you would get the same response if you put him at 12. Last years draft showed that some GM's are absolutely clueless.

And for team Finland, Armia was one of the very few bright spots on that team. Sure they didn't do well, but his hockey sense was within the top 2 on the team, maybe behind Pulkkinen.

20. Analyzer*

Analyzer* Guest

Armia is big and highly skilled. Doubt he slips, but if he does and Montréal is there, thanks.

21. synobyte

synobyte Canucks Cultist

weirder things have happened than couturier falling to 6th. Like Thomas Hickey Taken 3rd or wherever he was taken was way to early

22. rt

rt DingDongTippIsGone! Sponsor

No Catenacci, eh? Huge numbers on a poor team and seen as one of the best defensive forwards in the draft. At least that's what I've read. Haha.

23. Vatican Roulette

Home Page:
    He's good, I agree. He just seems to me as one of those guys that teams wait until the 2nd to select him. Good at just about everything, not great at anything.

24. Vdhawan89

Vdhawan89 Forgot About Drai

The only beef I have With your list is:

1. Landeskog at 1st. Hes good but he doesnt have the SUPERSTAR potential that RNH/Courtier/Larsson have

2.Armia low ( already been adressed)

3. Bradon Saad Over Courtier. I can see Huberdeau over him, but theres no way Saad is picked ahea of him.

Otherwise great list

25. Juzmo

Juzmo Earthling

Well I have to disagree with "few bright spots" and "they didn't do well" a bit. Many players had a good tournament like Jokipakka, Junttila-Salomäki-Donskoi, Ortio, etc. and even though they were 6th in the end they played really well in the tournament overall before Russia came back in the end. And for Armia, the lack of a proper line and his strange role in the team for example probably affected his play so I honestly wouldn't take that strech too heavily when thinking about his draft-position. Maybe not the top-10 overall player at the moment, but sure has potential to make a scouts very interested. And wouldn't say he lacks hockey sence either.

Interesting list though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.