23th: Tomas Jurco
24th: John Gibson
25th: J.T. Miller
26th: Rickard Rakell
27th: Mark Scheiffle
28th: Ty Rattie
29th: Boone Jenner
30th: Scott Mayfield

I admit this is not a traditional top 30, but I haven't seen a draft board that is.

member 30781

1st: Gabriel Landeskog
2nd: Adam Larsson
3rd: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
4th: Jonathan Huberdeau
5th: Brandon Saad
6th: Sean Couturier
7th: Dougie Hamilton
8th: Ryan Strome
9th: Mika Zibanejad
10th: Ryan Murphy
11th: Duncan Siemens
12th: Matt Puempel
13th: Marc McNeill
14th: Tyler Biggs
15th: Rocco Grimaldi
16th: Nathan Beaulieu
17th: Nicklas Jensen
18th: Jonas Brodin
19th: Joel Armia
20th: Victor Rask
21th: Sven Bartschi
22th: David Musil
23th: Tomas Jurco
24th: John Gibson
25th: J.T. Miller
26th: Rickard Rakell
27th: Mark Scheiffle
28th: Ty Rattie
29th: Boone Jenner
30th: Scott Mayfield

I admit this is not a traditional top 30, but I haven't seen a draft board that is.

UMMMMMMMMMM.....sorry to burst your bubble here, but you are WAY off.

Only thing I see that is legitimate is the top 3 picks. And even they are suspect.

Landeskog is very good, but he won't go first.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I think your a bit off. Landeskog is good but wont go first overall, I think Larsson will. Both New Jersey and the Edmonton Oilers seem to want him and they will likely be picking 1-2. Also there is no way Couturier falls out of the top 5 or even top 3. Couturier will likely go 2nd. Mcneil seem to be way to low on your list. He will be a top 10 pick IMO and David Musil also seems to be 3-4 spots low and Rask also seems to be pretty low.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
I prefer these kind of mocks actually. It makes for a more interesting read.

There always seems to develop a more or less a consensus top 30 on here before a draft with very few variations. Then the draft comes along and the actual result is a whole lot different with some big surprises.

For instance, see Fowler and Gormley last year or Johansson and perhaps to a lesser degree OEL in 2009.

I love to see Zibanejad rated this highly even if 9th might be reaching a bit. He's been great for internationally for Swedish junior teams for quite some time and is starting to produce in the SEL now too ( 1+1 in his last two games for Djurgården). I could definitely see him being a riser in the draft.

Last edited:

mps91

Oct 15, 2010
I think that Larsson Couturier are going 1-2 respectively. Top 4 will definately be Larsson, Couturier, Landeskog, RNH. I would switch Murphy with Hamilton and I think Rattie and Jenner are a little high.

zeus3007*

Unless something crazy happens in the standings, or an upset happens with the lottery, Landeskog goes third at best. The Devils, Oilers and Islanders are likely going to be two of the bottom three, and all could use Larrson first, or a center second. The Isles might take Landeskog, but that would really depend on what the Oilers/Devils take if they finish with a higher pick too.

My top three
Oilers - RNH
Devils - Larsson
Islanders- Landeskog

OR

Oilers - RNH
Islanders - Larsson
Devils - Courturier

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well everyone has different opinions. When you post a draft ranking list ,is it what you think the pro teams would rank in some conensus (you base things on who you have seen AND with a perusal of several rankings put out by various rankinmg organizationsb) OR it it your own preferential ranking of who YOU would take given all you have seen and read ?

ALSO doing it to emulate some conensus is hard because the ranking orgs use separate rankings for skaters and goalies (and in Central scouting's case,tey also separate lists by NA's and euros) ...If you are trying to put your own preference list
you also must allow for your own sometimes idiosyncratic "hunches" which might be very far from the "conensus" range of picks.

Given the great FAILURE rate in drafting by NHL teams temselves (lucky if they get 1-2 NHL'ers out of a 7 pick draft -that means usually 5oor 6 of every 7 picks don't "make it" -what chance does one have of being correct
more than them? So it is insane to say -YOU ARE WRONG...You should say,I disagree --you rank a guy #X and I see him higher or lower then explain your case for disagreeing. BUT I do not think you can say-"YOU ARE WRONG" --that willnot be known for certain till a few years after the draft and we review who did make it and who never did.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Props for coming out with a list that goes against the norm. I hate seeing lists that are just combined averages of iss, css, mckeens and rlr. You call them as you see them.

Not to take anything away from your list but I have some pros and cons as opposed to my list:

1. I really like Puempel where he is, this kid could probably play in the NHL next season. Its too bad even his slighest flaws are revealed when playing on a poor petes team.
2. Zibanejad is a sweet pick finishing out the top 10. He's much better then rask IMO.
3. Huberdeau above Couturier is good to see. Take the guy with more potential then the "size factor".
4.Nice to see Jurco and Jensen in the mix.
5.I would switch Murphy and Saad. Saad has to prove he can put it all together and dominate while Murphy is already dominating games.
6. Grimaldi and Brodin will be lucky to even be drafted in the first let alone so high. I just have a hard time seeing a player that small drafted so early. Also Brodin should be solid but don't know enough about him to know if he has more to give.
7. Move Landeskog behind Larsson and RNH and your good. He will be a captain at the NHL level but donest have the hockey sense the other two have.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
If you actually watched Armia, then you would know why it is laughable to have him at 19th.

I have watched him. His skating improved but I don't like his hockey sense. He seems one of those players that will have a tough time adjusting. Plus, his WJC didn't help his case.

Laughable. Last year if I had Fowler at 12, I'd get the same response.

Another thing is the rapid jump in level of play. Those players always scare me off.

Also, he's very raw. Some teams like players like that and some go for the 'sure pick'.

And, it's my opinion, so feel free to disagree.

member 30781

I have watched him. His skating improved but I don't like his hockey sense. He seems one of those players that will have a tough time adjusting. Plus, his WJC didn't help his case.

Laughable. Last year if I had Fowler at 12, I'd get the same response.

Another thing is the rapid jump in level of play. Those players always scare me off.

Also, he's very raw. Some teams like players like that and some go for the 'sure pick'.

And, it's my opinion, so feel free to disagree.

Fowler wasn't supposed to go 12th overall as you can very well see up to this point in his NHL season. So yes, of course you would get the same response if you put him at 12. Last years draft showed that some GM's are absolutely clueless.

And for team Finland, Armia was one of the very few bright spots on that team. Sure they didn't do well, but his hockey sense was within the top 2 on the team, maybe behind Pulkkinen.

Analyzer*

Armia is big and highly skilled. Doubt he slips, but if he does and Montréal is there, thanks.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No Catenacci, eh? Huge numbers on a poor team and seen as one of the best defensive forwards in the draft. At least that's what I've read. Haha.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
The only beef I have With your list is:

1. Landeskog at 1st. Hes good but he doesnt have the SUPERSTAR potential that RNH/Courtier/Larsson have

2.Armia low ( already been adressed)

3. Bradon Saad Over Courtier. I can see Huberdeau over him, but theres no way Saad is picked ahea of him.

Otherwise great list

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
And for team Finland, Armia was one of the very few bright spots on that team. Sure they didn't do well, but his hockey sense was within the top 2 on the team, maybe behind Pulkkinen.
Well I have to disagree with "few bright spots" and "they didn't do well" a bit. Many players had a good tournament like Jokipakka, Junttila-Salomäki-Donskoi, Ortio, etc. and even though they were 6th in the end they played really well in the tournament overall before Russia came back in the end. And for Armia, the lack of a proper line and his strange role in the team for example probably affected his play so I honestly wouldn't take that strech too heavily when thinking about his draft-position. Maybe not the top-10 overall player at the moment, but sure has potential to make a scouts very interested. And wouldn't say he lacks hockey sence either.

Interesting list though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad