NHL Entry Draft: 2011 Mock Draft Round 1

Discussion in 'Mock Drafts' started by DMaz16, Jun 6, 2011.

1. DMaz16

DMaz16 @DMaz16

This is my first attempt at a mock draft let me know awesome or terrible it is

1. Edmonton Oilers - C Ryan Nugent Hopkins

For a long time I held to the belief that the oilers would take Larsson but it's becoming more and more obvious the RNH is their man

2. Colorado Avalanche - D Adam Larsson

I think it's a no brainer pick for a team with the worst goals against per game by a fair margin last year

3. Florida Panthers - C Jonathan Huberdeau

The Panthers take the fast rising center third, originally I had Landeskog here but with Huberdeau's stock rising and Panthers GM Dave Tallon leaving the combine before Landeskog even worked out I think the Panthers have already made their decision.

4. New Jersey Devils - C Sean Couturier

No Landeskog here either, I see the Devils taking the best two-way forward in the draft with the fourth pick. Being 6'4'' 200lbs doesn't hurt either.

5. New York Islanders - LW Gabriel Landeskog

Landeskog's "fall" stops at pick five, while this pick doesn't really fill a need the Islanders are in full rebuild mode so I believe that they will take the best player available with this pick

6. Ottawa Senators - C Ryan Strome

A pure offence talent the sens will grab him at six. Though I'm sure they'll try their hardest to trade up to get Landeskog.

7. Winnipeg Jets? - C Mika Zibanejad

With a stable of talented young D I think that the *insert team name here* will draft Zibanejad, the best forward remaining, in an effort to solve a definite need at center.

8. Columbus Blue Jackets - D Dougie Hamilton

Should shore up their defence for the next decade or so, a solid prospect with perhaps a lower ceiling than some of the other D prospects but will almost surely be a permanent fixture in the NHL

9. Boston Bruins - D Ryan Murphy

The perfect fit to solve the Bruins anemic powerplay the Bruins will be ecstatic that Murphy is still here at nine.

10. Minnesota Wild - D Nathan Beaulieu

Best player left on the board a prime offensive talent with decent size, Wild scoop him up

11. Colorado Avalanche - LW Sven Bartschi

Having grabbed a franchise D with their first pick the Avalanche will draft Bartschi to give Stastny/Duchene a talented winger to play with

12. Carolina Hurricanes - D Duncan Siemens

The Hurricanes use their pick to select an all around solid D in Siemens in the hope of lessening the load on Cam Ward

13. Calgary Flames - C Mark McNeill

The flames with quite possibly the worst prospect system I have ever seen will draft the BPA in McNeill

14. Dallas Stars - D Jamieson Oleksiak

The Stars with a solid stable of forwards and an undersized D are happy to select 6'7" Oleksiak

15. New York Rangers - RW Joel Armia

The Rangers are set at D so they draft the solid Armia 15th

16. Buffalo Sabres - C Zack Phillips

Most people have him lower but after seeing him in the memorial cup I am sold on his potential, superior vision and hockey smarts.

17. Montreal Canadiens - LW Nicklas Jensen

The Canadiens can afford to let this high potential project develop in the minors

18. Chicago Blackhawks - RW Ty Rattie

I hesitated putting him here because his stock seems to be dropping buuuut he seems like a typical blackhawks prospect so i'll leave him here for now

19. Edmonton Oilers - D Joseph Morrow

Pick number two if the first round the oilers will try to shore up their D with the steady Morrow.

20. Phoenix Coyotes - C Mark Scheifele

I feel that Scheifele is very underrated and the 'Yotes get a steal here.

21. Ottawa Senators - LW Brandon Saad

Could be this year John McFarland, definitely first round talent but compete level lacking. The Sens begrudgingly draft Saad 21st.

22. Anaheim Ducks - C Boone Jenner

Solid, steady and unflashy Jenner is a safe pick for the Ducks who need forward depth.

23. Pittsburgh Penguins - RW Tomas Jurco

Free agency last year solved their D weakness now an attempt to solve that pesky "Crosby's-wingers-are-glorified-third-liners" problem.

24. Detroit Red Wings - D Jonas Brodin

With the departure of Rafalski and the possible departure of Lidstrom the Wings need to restock their D.

25. Toronto Maple Leafs - LW Matt Puempel

A Brian Burke kind of player but with talent.....

26. Washington Capitals - RW Vladislav Namestnikov

I know its cliche but the Capitals do like their russians.

27. Tampa Bay Lightning - LW Philip Danault

The Lightning dip back into the Q to draft this talented forward.

28. San Jose Sharks - C Rocco Grimaldi

Diminutive but talented forward would go a lot higher if not for his small stature

29. Toronto Maple Leafs (or Canucks) - LW Tyler Biggs

Massive winger has size and skill to spare

30. Vancouver Canucks (or Maple Leafs) - D Oscar Klefbom

Vancouver is stacked at every position so they can afford to draft a boom or bust player